The Student Room Group
Helenia
Sainsbury's microwave lasagne for 88p - brilliant and surprisingly tasty! Just don't look at the salt content :redface:

And my friends bought my birthday cake from Nadias - a 3 layer, double chocolatey monstrosity! :biggrin: It was fantastic.

Tesco Pilau rice is even cheaper (though I tend to get about 4, pop them in the microwave and just scoff them plain... Yummy!)
Reply 1401
polthegael
Nice pun :smile:

I always used to do all the cooking when I lived with my wife. Now I tend to see to myself and Katie when she comes home from work sometimes.

I'm not at all against guys cooking! :smile:

sorry are you divorced?
Willa
sorry are you divorced?

Strictly, no... Still married but haven't even seen/heard from wife since 2000... I'm quite happy with that and am not prepared to spend vast sums of cash on tracking her down to divorce her! :smile:
Faboba
Did you ever find out for sure what they have in the kitchens? I imagine it'll all be in the freshers pack but I'd have thought that the kitchens would at least have cookers ( otherwise they should probably known as 'fridge rooms' as without cookers, kitchens they ain't ).

All I can really see myself needing; two cake tins ( bringing), three mixing bowls ( bringing), a toaster ( bringing), a toastie maker ( bringing), a blender, a whisk, a cooker, a fridge<-- there'll be one in your room, don't advise storing much in the communal fridge, a stove ( I'll make you pancakes before the year is out! ) a freezer and crockery / cutlery stuff ( bringing). I can't imagine that anything calling itself a kitchen would lack any of the stuff I'm not bringing. There will not, in all likelihood, be a blender or a whisk, or a freezer other than the freezer compartment in the fridge. There'll be an "oven" (sort of; some excuse for one anyway), a sink, a hob, a fridge and cupboards. That's about all I'd advise you to expect... most Sidney students cook quite rarely as it's easier to just go to Hall (we're all lazy sods here). If they do cook it tends to be in groups; but be warned the kitchens where you'll be living aren't massive!!

Oh and a microwave. For when I get really lazy. You MAY (may!!! unusual but possible) have one in the kitchen if you're lucky...

And a sink for washing up but I could always use the one in the room. Kitchen one would be infinitely more highly recommended! Bringing a washing up bowl is a good idea, saves you having to wash stuff in the grime that invariably accumulates at the bottom of the sinks. And I haven't yet seen a kitchen with one already there (and people rarely think of it, seemingly)

Did you try the water when you were down/up for your interview? How was it?The water is.. um. Yes. Well, Blundell water was PROBABLY worse than what you'll get in your accomodation block. Probably. It was... shall we say... on the cloudy side.

Sorry if someone's already said the above but I CAN be specific to Sidney I guess, so hopefully it's helpful. Oh, and may I back up what Helenia said about Nadia's - mmm. And if you miss Hall Sainsbury's mark down their sandwiches at approximately 8.10pm each evening :wink:
MadNatSci
Sorry if someone's alreday said the above but I CAN be specific to Sidney I guess, so hopefully it's helpful. Oh, and may I back up what Helenia said about Nadia's - mm. And if you miss Hall Sainsbury's mark down their sandwiches at approximately 8.10pm each evening :wink:

But Sidney Sussex is right beside Sainsbury's and you can bring frozen stuff in and just cook it. I'm off to Girton, will it be the same there? Bugger!
polthegael
But Sidney Sussex is right beside Sainsbury's and you can bring frozen stuff in and just cook it. I'm off to Girton, will it be the same there? Bugger!

I think there's a shop near Girton... it's sort of in its own village, and I think there are amenities there. Of course you could also cycle into town and come back with your weekly shopping in a basket on your bike - it'd build up an appetite :biggrin:
MadNatSci
I think there's a shop near Girton... it's sort of in its own village, and I think there are amenities there. Of course you could also cycle into town and come back with your weekly shopping in a basket on your bike - it'd build up an appetite :biggrin:

Car... If there's no parking in Cambridge I'll go to a big shopping centre someplace else... Huntingdon? I've been a postman and HATE cycling with stuff in a basket!
polthegael
Car... If there's no parking in Cambridge I'll go to a big shopping centre someplace else... Huntingdon? I've been a postman and HATE cycling with stuff in a basket!

Ooh, you'd be lucky to take a car to Cambridge! I'm pretty sure there's a shop in Girton. Huntingdon's pretty crap for shopping, if you want to do a good ol' shop Cambridge is WAY better (and prettier). And if they DO let you take a car there's plenty of parking in Cambridge, but it's very expensive (and the spaces are nasty small things with lots of metal posts designed to catch you out and hurt your car and embarrass you - ahem, sorry, might have a few grudges against certain car parks in cambridge)
MadNatSci
Ooh, you'd be lucky to take a car to Cambridge! I'm pretty sure there's a shop in Girton. Huntingdon's pretty crap for shopping, if you want to do a good ol' shop Cambridge is WAY better (and prettier). And if they DO let you take a car there's plenty of parking in Cambridge, but it's very expensive (and the spaces are nasty small things with lots of metal posts designed to catch you out and hurt your car and embarrass you - ahem, sorry, might have a few grudges against certain car parks in cambridge)

There there... The back of my car has a nasty dent from reversing into just such an obstacle! :redface:
Reply 1409
MadNatSci

Methinks i'll stick to walking...cheap and good for ya! :smile:

G
Reply 1410
After 6 years of not seeing or talking to your wife dont you get an automatic divorce?
Reply 1411
Willa
After 6 years of not seeing or talking to your wife dont you get an automatic divorce?

Can you not only get them after 7 years??

G
Reply 1412
crana
but hard water tastes nicer :smile: (although where i live has, apparently, the best tasting water in the country..so its got to be worse than what im used to!)

and personally i like calcium supplements. Begone, osteoporosis!

Hate to argue but as far as cities go Glasgow officially has the best water supply in Britian. It's because it's all taken out of nearby lochs rather than from the city river. If you ever see Caledonian Spring mineral water... it's just Glasgow tap.
Reply 1413
Faboba
Hate to argue but as far as cities go Glasgow officially has the best water supply in Britian. It's because it's all taken out of nearby lochs rather than from the city river. If you ever see Caledonian Spring mineral water... it's just Glasgow tap.

I never drink tap water at home, we always filter ours, then boil it before drinking.

G
Reply 1414
you wierdo, you're missing all the goodness that comes with tap water!!!! you worried about ricin or something?
Reply 1415
Willa
you wierdo, you're missing all the goodness that comes with tap water!!!! you worried about ricin or something?

Lol..i have absolutely no idea why we do it...it's just one of those things my parents do. I reckon it might be cos they think tap water isn't safe??

G
Reply 1416
i'd say that's the reason.
Reply 1417
Willa
i'd say that's the reason.

Lol....yeh...maybe...:redface:

G
polthegael

Erm, you'll be lucky - you have to get permission off the proctors or something. Think there's a big Tesco's out by the Grafton centre or somewhere; not really sure - Sainsbury's is my place, even if it is a massive rip-off half the time :rolleyes:
Reply 1419
Well there's a nice sandwich place near Johns that makes coronation chicken (or was it chicken tikkah) rolls that I can live off for a while :biggrin:
Although I must admit, since the fudge shop was a bit of a disappointment, I may have to live on something healthier if I get in :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending