Cambridge Chat (previously New Cambridge Students Entry 2004)

Watch
This discussion is closed.
crana9
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Helenia)
. However, I didn't manage to remove my contacts. Ow.

ooo man if they are disposable ones youre meant to go to A&E when you wake up to get them removed..
visesh
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by minimo)
YES!!!!!!!!
OMG....this is beyond freaky...which school did you go to here (where you at St. Chris coz then I might very well know who u are!!)...I've lived here all my life hehe...never thought I'd find someone in Cambs who used to live on me lil desert island!!
Nah I wasn't in St. Chris'. My dad moved there about 3 years ago for a year (by which time I was in the UK...) Some of my friends from Khobar (and one from nottingham:eek:) were at St. Chris' though. Dya know a girl, A. Livingstone and a guy A. Horseley in the year above you?:cool: The girl was in my school in Saudi (Dhahran British Grammar School...) from year 7-9 and the guy was in my school in the UK for his A-Levels. Small world indeed...
Immortal Wombat
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Willa)
ok then, so SEND + MORE = MONEY....take away the m and o and n and one e...: SED + R = Y aka M, O and N are anything you like.

so Y=SEDR
Argh. No, it's digit-replacement.

Code:
SEND
+ MORE
-------
 MONEY
D+E = Y (mod 10) etc. Nothing can be anything you like. There is exactly one solution which does not have leading zeroes.
Camford
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I love myTunes... Muahahahahahaha.
Camford
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I'm going to find out how fast one can fill up 6.5 GB of hard drive space with purely mp3's
French Pikachu
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Visesh u lived in Saoudi? Where about?
Willa
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
oh right i get it now. OK so something like:

for(int s = 0; s<10; s++){
for(int e = 0; e<10; e++){
for(int n = 0; n<10; n++){
for(int d = 0; d<10; d++){
for(int m = 0; m<10; m++){
for(int o = 0; o<10; o++){
for(int r = 0; r<10; r++){
for(int y = 0; y<10; y++){
if(s*1000 + e*100 + n*10 + d + m*1000 + o*100 + r*10 + e == m*10000 + o*1000 + n*100 + e*10 + y) { println(s + "," + e + "," + n + "," + d + "," + m + "," + o + "," + r + "," + y)}
}}}}}}}}

that would work. In fact you can make m interate from 1 not 0 since you cant have leading zeros
Camford
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Willa)
oh right i get it now. OK so something like:

for(int s = 0; s<10; s++){
for(int e = 0; e<10; e++){
for(int n = 0; n<10; n++){
for(int d = 0; d<10; d++){
for(int m = 0; m<10; m++){
for(int o = 0; o<10; o++){
for(int r = 0; r<10; r++){
for(int y = 0; y<10; y++){
if(s*1000 + e*100 + n*10 + d + m*1000 + o*100 + r*10 + e == m*10000 + o*1000 + n*100 + e*10 + y) { println(s + "," + e + "," + n + "," + d + "," + m + "," + o + "," + r + "," + y)}
}}}}}}}}

that would work. In fact you can make m interate from 1 not 0 since you cant have leading zeros
What happens say... if I want a program that solves for ANY puzzle?
Willa
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
import Java.myclass.*
class ProblemSolver extends myclass
public static void main(String[] args)
{
Problem myProblem = new Problem(args[0]);
Answer myAnswer = new Answer(myProblem);
String myStringAnswer = answerToString(myAnswer);
println(myStringAnswer);
}
}
Refer to myclass for the definition of Problem, Answer and the various functions

there is also an easier way that me and a friend came up named after my old physics teacher who was a genius:

Answer = Problem x PerksConstant

Where the PerksConstant is a multidimensional matrix containing all answers, and Problem is expressed in a corresponding multidimensional array.
visesh
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by French Pikachu)
Visesh u lived in Saoudi? Where about?
In Al-Khobar (Eastern Province)
Immortal Wombat
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Camford)
I'm going to find out how fast one can fill up 6.5 GB of hard drive space with purely mp3's
Took me about 2 years, but I wasn't really trying.
Camford
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Immortal Wombat)
Took me about 2 years, but I wasn't really trying.
I've given up trying... but it should be stuffed with goodies by the time I leave.
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Willa)
yes...your we remembered it was your BCD last night when clare mem didnt show up! Then we had a new found respect for your women....that or your BCD sucked!
Oh no, it was very good, and most of them were truly hammered. Apparently the cox had to whisper everything on the row up because all their heads were about to explode. But they did it (don't know how fast though!)

Priya - there was a big confusion between the Boat Club, the Catering Department and the Natsci society, which they're all blaming each other for. Basically meant that hall was booked for the Natscis last Saturday, so BCD was put off till this week. Which is probably good as all the first women would have been in tears last week.

Rosie - I took them out as soon as I realised, which hurt, but got them out much quicker than if I'd gone to Addies.
crana9
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
um, yeah, but you are meant to get them removed by hospital to avoid the risk of pulling off a nice piece of cornea with them. I guess you were just lucky - i dont know how often the actual corneal-ripping-off happens, but my opticians were very firm that i HAD to go to hospital if I ever slept with them in because the risk was quite high.
The Albatross
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by crana9)
um, yeah, but you are meant to get them removed by hospital to avoid the risk of pulling off a nice piece of cornea with them. I guess you were just lucky - i dont know how often the actual corneal-ripping-off happens, but my opticians were very firm that i HAD to go to hospital if I ever slept with them in because the risk was quite high.
eek is it the same with monthly ones?
crana9
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
if you mean the oens you leave in all mnonth, which i assume you dont, then no. if you mean the ones you keep for a month put put in/out every day, i dont know. ask your optician, its just what they told me.
musicbloke
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
why can't you lot just wear specs? they're so much more convenient.

MB
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by crana9)
Ouch! I didn't know that, I guess I was lucky. My poor eyeballs...

MB - I do, but I like contacts for aesthetic reasons and they're good for stuff like rowing.
Alaric
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by musicboy)
why can't you lot just wear specs? they're so much more convenient.

MB
Why can't you just have eyes that work? It's so much less hassle.

A.
crana9
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Yeah, I dont know hw much of it was just the opticians covering their backs. but it did freak me out marginally. I very rarely wear mine tho.

specs aint really convenient. they're always dirty/covered in rain/steam..
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your firm and insurance uni choices yet?

Yes (64)
51.61%
Yes, but I want to swap them (10)
8.06%
No, but I know who I want to choose (14)
11.29%
No, I still don't know who I want to choose (33)
26.61%
I have decided I don't want to go to uni anymore and will not be choosing (3)
2.42%

Watched Threads