Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

(Original post by KHL)

oh, about microwaves and ovens - personally i'd recommend a small oven over a microwave - much more versatile, if somewhat slower than a microwave. and small ovens tend to be a LOT lighter and smaller, probs something to do with magnets or something... and 'sides, come up empty handed, and you can always get stuff 2nd hand off other people - cheaper, and more convenient (don't have to lug it from home)

But then you can't do fun experiments with sparking grapes :|

(Original post by Faboba)
    Hate to argue but as far as cities go Glasgow officially has the best water supply in Britian. It's because it's all taken out of nearby lochs rather than from the city river. If you ever see Caledonian Spring mineral water... it's just Glasgow tap.

well neeerrrrrrrrrr they said ours was the best so maybe we stole Glasgows title or something.

or possibly we are the bst in england. who knows? anyway our water tastes great. we have a reservour behind our house and its always getting corpses found floating in it usually escapees from the nearby psychiatric unit. (apparently). so maybe it's that great taste of Dead Molecules and Shopping Trolleys. Who knows/?

(Original post by gzftan)
    Lol..i have absolutely no idea why we do it...it's just one of those things my parents do. I reckon it might be cos they think tap water isn't safe??

G
    this isn't some damn country with unsafe water! ours is fantastic! drink to your heart's content!

(do you even brush your teeth in boiled water? we had to do that with tap wateron holiday )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana)
    But then you can't do fun experiments with sparking grapes :|

And also if you have a microwave you can make some ball lightning!

http://www.angelfire.com/electronic/...microwave.html

(Original post by Fluffstar)
    yeah the school's finished but theres a HELL of a load of stuff to do!! al the staff offices have to be moved around and theres ppl coming in to do the re-flooring and aaah - so much work to do! but at 5.30 an hour it aint bad!
    g2g watch movie
    nice to speakya all again!
    im back at my old work as a waitress in a hospital....I'm exhausted and Ive only been back 3 days! im in again tomorrow and then on friday i m working in the morning :| ive never done it before, its longer than my normal shift AND I HAVE TO BE THERE CHANGED READY TO START AT 6.30 AM.

this isnt funny.

next week im volunteering on a playscheme for autistic kids, finishing at 3pm....then i have to go straight over to work on wed thurs fri and start late there until 8.30........ :'(

Ill people, i wish you would jus bloody get better, it's far too busy at the moment! as for all you non essential boob job people, can you please come in for your ops when im at uni. thank you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ralfskini)
    Do you live in Belfast?
    No, but a lot of my family do... I live in Southampton at the moment, then Cambridge (more correctly, Cambridgeshire as Girton is outside town!) in October...

ReputationRep:
    Is it called that cos it sells loads of RPGs?? Or just a happy coincidence??
    Come on man, it's Belfast! Yes, it's because of the fact that the first RPG's used in the recent conflict were fired from there or something... They have the sign up in English on one side of the road and Irish on the other!

(Original post by polthegael)
    Come on man, it's Belfast! Yes, it's because of the fact that the first RPG's used in the recent conflict were fired from there or something... They have the sign up in English on one side of the road and Irish on the other!

i've only just realised you werent talking about Role Playing Games.....

do you mean rocket powered grenades? i cant think what else rpg stands for and hat makes slightly more sense..

ReputationRep:
    hi
    feels like i haven't been on here for a while but it was only a day or so!
    i just got a new job - working in the White Stuff shop! its really exciting cos i love white stuff clothes! and you have to wear them when your working in the shop!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana)
    i've only just realised you werent talking about Role Playing Games.....

do you mean rocket powered grenades? i cant think what else rpg stands for and hat makes slightly more sense..

Yes, I think Gzftan said a while back that an RPG is a "rocket propelled granade"..!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scarlet ibis)
    hi
    feels like i haven't been on here for a while but it was only a day or so!
    i just got a new job - working in the White Stuff shop! its really exciting cos i love white stuff clothes! and you have to wear them when your working in the shop!
    Are all their clothes white or something?

ReputationRep:
    Or something to do with milk?:confused:
    Welcome back btw

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MadNatSci)

Oh gods, I hate answering this question... John's is the prettiest college, I think. It's big but not quite as rich as it used to be (and would like people to think it is) - they discovered a big discrepancy in their accounts a while back. Oops. But yeah, it's very pretty, very old, lots of people so you should find people you like. HOWEVER you may find it has a... reputation. Ahem. It's all good-natured teasing really but you ought to be prepared for some ribbing about being at John's.

Other plus points; apparently very good food (though I wouldn't know; this is a hint, to any current John's students or those coming up who need a guest for formal hall), very close to Nadia's (see above) so no problem even if food not good. Also rooms can be very nice: you can (if lucky I think) live right at the top of the wedding cake (big ornate building across the Bridge of Sighs, called the wedding cake because it... looks a bit like a wedding cake), which is quite cool. Some shared sets in second year. Um. I bet I missed loads but this is a start I guess...
    Thanks! Could you elaborate on the reputation thing any more? Oh and the ribbing- that shouldn't be a problem, I'm used to people taking the piss!

Welcome to the thread Sam

G
    (Original post by Acaila)
    Welcome Sam anyway!

EDIT: found him now
    Thank y'all! Now all I have to do is try and keep up with this thread... I come back to it after a few hours and theres already another couple of pages to it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theoffender)
    Thank y'all! Now all I have to do is try and keep up with this thread... I come back to it after a few hours and theres already another couple of pages to it!

Tell me about it!

ReputationRep:
    Pol, what happened to your rep?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Squishy)
    Pol, what happened to your rep?

My rep? What do you mean?

ReputationRep:
    My rep? What do you mean?
    You got a grey gem! Don't know why, but I'll fix it for you if you like

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    What is a grey gem?

I think I have two of those, two red and a green...

What do they mean?

[GREEN] Recommend me a few coll... 21-07-2004 08:09 PM maybe this will amend the grey gem? Ralf
    [RED] UKIP MEP in row over wo... 21-07-2004 02:51 PM sexist and illogical - spoken like a true man who has never been involved in recruitment
    [GREY] Successful LSE Ecnomics... 21-07-2004 12:11 AM Think of it as supression of you Irish by the evil British
    [GREY] A wee question... (P... 14-07-2004 03:06 PM Livening the forum up, creating discussion.
    [RED] The British Considerati... 04-07-2004 01:30 PM

Not sure what they all mean!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    Rep Whore!!!

ReputationRep:
    What is a grey gem?

I think I have two of those, two red and a green...

What do they mean?
    If you look at the top right of your little name bar at the top of each post, near where your postcount is, there's a little grey rectangle. If you look at mine, there are 6 green ones, and other people have different numbers of gems. That's your reputation - if people like what you say (or if they're feeling nice to you) they'll click the little scales thing to give you positive rep, if they don't, they'll give you negative (red) rep. Obviously at the moment you're around 0 rep points, so you have a grey one, for no rep.

Oh, and grey gems in the comments list mean the person giving it does not have enough post count/reputation of their own to give you a significant amount.

Can be fixed though - and Baz, this is not whoring because I'm not asking for it back

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.