Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Latin's not a real subject? :shocked: Don't let my mum hear you say that. Latin's a great subject to get 100% in. To be honest it's probably harder to get 100% in Latin than in something like maths, because any kind of language based subject is very subjective in marking, rather than straight right or wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acaila)
    Latin's not a real subject? :shocked: Don't let my mum hear you say that. Latin's a great subject to get 100% in. To be honest it's probably harder to get 100% in Latin than in something like maths, because any kind of language based subject is very subjective in marking, rather than straight right or wrong.
    I know what you mean..its jsut my parents dont' see it like that. For them:

Maths-accountant=money
    Biology+Chemistry=Doctor=money
    Physics=engineer=money

Latin=latin scholar=no job prospects.

Don't ask me...i stopped trying to understand them long ago

G

ReputationRep:
    Awwww {hugs G}

I guess my dad can be like that

Drama=actor=out of work=no money
    But now he's convinced I'm going to follow him into politics and he's loving it!

ReputationRep:
    Awwww {hugs G}

I guess my dad can be like that

Drama=actor=out of work=no money
    But now he's convinced I'm going to follow him into politics and he's loving it!
    Lol...well..they mean well....but they just don't quite understand my point of view. They have their own views..and nothing i say will change that.

G

ReputationRep:
    Well you'll be off to uni soon enough and you'll have your independence

ReputationRep:
    Well you'll be off to uni soon enough and you'll have your independence
    You don't need to tell me twice....i've been saying that to myself for the past 6 months

G

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gzftan)
    You don't need to tell me twice....i've been saying that to myself for the past 6 months

G
    I feel exactly the same as you, it's so infuriating having parents that don't understand your point of view, and like to call you cheeky or stupid whenever you argue when they say something stupid.

ReputationRep:
    Hehe I'm saying it too believe me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theoffender)
    NOT liking that AT ALL!!! Please say there aren't too many!
    Well, I've not met any nasty snobby ones there There are posh people, of course, but all the ones I've met are lovely and not remotely snobbish. You'll be fine The reputation is an historical one I think; I've seen no evidence to indicate that it's still based on fact.

i tutored a girl in the year below me pretty much all last year for free, an hour a week. bt i dont think anyone would pay for my standard of tuition.. lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana)
    i tutored a girl in the year below me pretty much all last year for free, an hour a week. bt i dont think anyone would pay for my standard of tuition.. lol
    Last year I tutored a girl in Chemistry and Biology. She had gotten a U and an E the year before. She got two C's.

I didn't charge (though she did offer to pay), I just met her in a pub and got her to keep the drinks coming for the few hours a week I'd tutor her

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MadNatSci)
    Well, I've not met any nasty snobby ones there There are posh people, of course, but all the ones I've met are lovely and not remotely snobbish. You'll be fine The reputation is an historical one I think; I've seen no evidence to indicate that it's still based on fact.
    But you come from John Major's heartland! Pares inter paribus..., as they say!

ReputationRep:
    i've tutored people in maths in exchange for chocolate. The best thing i've ever done though (and looked great on my personal statement) was help a university student do their masters computer programming project. I practically wrote the program for them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willa)
    i've tutored people in maths in exchange for chocolate. The best thing i've ever done though (and looked great on my personal statement) was help a university student do their masters computer programming project. I practically wrote the program for them.
    I don't want to disclose how many people I've helped like that.. Suffices to say several people who have graduated in Biological-related subjects from Soton in the past few years may have had quite a bit of "help" writing their dissertations!

You actually told people you did that? Would that not result in serious penalties for the dude you "helped"? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    i've been tutoring my younger sister in chemistry and physics since she started her gcses. i hadn't really thought of it as tutoring, but thinking about it, i suppose it is. being paid for it never even came into my head, despite the fact that i have sometimes spent whole evenings doing it. i just do it cos i want to help

ReputationRep:
    Which party?

Thinking of joining the freshers party...

ReputationRep:
    He doesn't have any party anymore

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scarlet ibis)
    i've been tutoring my younger sister in chemistry and physics since she started her gcses. i hadn't really thought of it as tutoring, but thinking about it, i suppose it is. being paid for it never even came into my head, despite the fact that i have sometimes spent whole evenings doing it. i just do it cos i want to help
    Awhh... That's cute bordering on altruistic (but it isn't quite as she has 50% of your genes!)

ReputationRep:
    He doesn't have any party anymore
    Independents... Bouncy

Still think the Girton Freshers Party gets my vote... Hasten the hour!

ReputationRep:
    well, she finds chem & phys way more challenging than i did (and i found them challenging enough) so i just try and help her if i can. i'm not sure how much use i am - i'm a pretty crap teacher :rolleyes:

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.