ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willa)
    well i wasnt going for a rhyme, but if you insist:

The curse of the boaties:

when boaties do roweth for the length of time
    that seven suns doth glisten on sands
    they must payeth a painful fine
    to loseth the skin upon thine hands
    Ditto on that one for me. Though fortunately I was only up early 4 times in the last week, but still had at least 2 if not 3 long outings every day; I am completely knackered, hands are in pieces and my legs are battered (playing rugby, dropping boats, and a little swimming incident on the last night, which resulted in some serious knee bleeding ). Bring on the Mays... :eek:

ReputationRep:
    mays are gonna rock w2 is definitely in the may bumps, if i end up in that boat(which i hopefully will do?!) loved rowing camp, and, as much as i hate to admit it, the erg as well. couldn't breathe/walk for about half an hour after it, but it felt so good knowing i'd completed it.

treble ditto for the blistering hands- my hands KILLED so badly after my first outing last week, urgh

ReputationRep:
    yay i finished something: The maths computing project. Only problem now is I still have far too much work to do, and with the report deadline on wednesday I am gonna collapse from overworking (and the rowing training). Focus Will, Focus!

ReputationRep:
    I haven't even started on the maths project yet. I'm worried about my coffee making skills.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scarlet ibis)
    got back from rome on thursday!
    it was amazing. tiring but fun. so. many. buildings.

we were in st peters square when the pope was elected!
    Something to tell the grandkids lol

ReputationRep:
    boatie question:

one of my hands has rather nasty blisters along the pads of the fingers. I went for an erg today and although the blisters were uncomfortable, they werent getting worse cos nothing was rubbing. But 15 mins into my erg my lower arm began to go all tight....and eventually i had to stop cos it was too tight. Could the blisters be causing me to adjust me grip in a way that causes this to happen?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willa)
    boatie question:

one of my hands has rather nasty blisters along the pads of the fingers. I went for an erg today and although the blisters were uncomfortable, they werent getting worse cos nothing was rubbing. But 15 mins into my erg my lower arm began to go all tight....and eventually i had to stop cos it was too tight. Could the blisters be causing me to adjust me grip in a way that causes this to happen?
    Quite simply, yes, so the quicker you get rid of them, the better!. Pop them with a sterile needle and drain them, then put surgical spirit ON TOP of them (do NOT rip off the skin and put it in the open wound). Leave them open as much as possible, i.e. only tape them when you're actually rowing/erging. Hopefully this will harden them and you'll be able to carry on.

*is the proud owner of rather disgusting man-style-blisters*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    Quite simply, yes, so the quicker you get rid of them, the better!. Pop them with a sterile needle and drain them, then put surgical spirit ON TOP of them (do NOT rip off the skin and put it in the open wound). Leave them open as much as possible, i.e. only tape them when you're actually rowing/erging. Hopefully this will harden them and you'll be able to carry on.

*is the proud owner of rather disgusting man-style-blisters*
    they arent really blisters in the sense that they're full of fluid....i passed that stage WAAAAY back. What i have on my hand are more like raw patches of skin, all red, dry, and a bit crusty. Guess there's not much i can do about those though is there!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willa)
    they arent really blisters in the sense that they're full of fluid....i passed that stage WAAAAY back. What i have on my hand are more like raw patches of skin, all red, dry, and a bit crusty. Guess there's not much i can do about those though is there!
    Moisturise me, moisturise me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Camford)
    Moisturise me, moisturise me.
    this is not the time nor the place for your kinky sexual games shuai!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willa)
    Vaseline is the answer :p:

No, really.

ReputationRep:
    Vaseline is the answer :p:

No, really.
    True, but remember that vaseline can degrade latex goods

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Raphael~)
    True, but remember that vaseline can degrade latex goods
    I don't use latex for anything when I'm rowing. There's enough lycra around to satisfy any fetishes anyone might have! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    I don't use latex for anything when I'm rowing. There's enough lycra around to satisfy any fetishes anyone might have! :eek:
    hehe bless does everyone wear lycra or is there the odd coy rower :p:

ReputationRep:
    hehe bless does everyone wear lycra or is there the odd coy rower :p:
    Well, depends on the weather and the standard of boat. If you look at, say, a first Mays crew, then they'll probably all be in college colours all-in-ones/leggings/tech tops/something equally tight. Lower boats will probably match less and wear less on the lycra front. I don't own that much college stash as it's REALLY expensive, but my current racing kit is black leggings and my Clare JL (black, long sleeved top, with yellow stripes down the arm). Hopefully for Mays my crew is going to get zephyr t-shirts which are basically fitted polo shirts, white with yellow bands on the neck and sleeves

In general though, there is quite often a lot that you don't want to see on display!

ReputationRep:
    Well, depends on the weather and the standard of boat. If you look at, say, a first Mays crew, then they'll probably all be in college colours all-in-ones/leggings/tech tops/something equally tight. Lower boats will probably match less and wear less on the lycra front. I don't own that much college stash as it's REALLY expensive, but my current racing kit is black leggings and my Clare JL (black, long sleeved top, with yellow stripes down the arm). Hopefully for Mays my crew is going to get zephyr t-shirts which are basically fitted polo shirts, white with yellow bands on the neck and sleeves

In general though, there is quite often a lot that you don't want to see on display!
    Weather I understand, coldness can give a false impression :p: standard, eh? ok I'll stop interpreting pervily now :rolleyes:

As to 'a lot that you don't want to see on display', don't be such a spoilsport :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willa)
    I was barely quoting Doctor Who. God knows what goes in and out of that head of your.

ReputationRep:
    Weather I understand, coldness can give a false impression :p: standard, eh? ok I'll stop interpreting pervily now :rolleyes:

As to 'a lot that you don't want to see on display', don't be such a spoilsport :p:
    Well, not just "false impressions" - in Lent term in particular the river is bloody freezing and you'd probably die if you trained in just your one-piece. It's all about the woolly hats

No, really, some people should just keep some bits of themselves to themselves. I do, so they should :p:

ReputationRep:
    methinks i need some more kit as well....i liked rowing in my jl last term cos it didnt get in the way, but it's far too warm to be wearing this term. But dare I lycra myself up....i certainly am hesitant!

ReputationRep:
    Well, not just "false impressions" - in Lent term in particular the river is bloody freezing and you'd probably die if you trained in just your one-piece. It's all about the woolly hats

No, really, some people should just keep some bits of themselves to themselves. I do, so they should :p:
    hehe but isn't it quite handy in order to err look deeply into the souls of any future boyfriend material, to avoid embarrassing situations later? :rolleyes:

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.