(Original post by visesh)
    How about some infamous salad?
    emo philip's coleslaw recipe? a bit long maybe

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bezza)
    emo philip's coleslaw recipe? a bit long maybe
    I might try that tonight:p:

ReputationRep:
    you know, the most commonly use analogy in computer programming is computer program and food stuff recipe.

ReputationRep:
    I remember making something like that in year7- except it was about making a cup of tea. i manged to get ~250 steps :cool:

ReputationRep:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/othe...r/4503709.stm#

live snooker

ReputationRep:

live snooker
    I know. I would be watching on the proper BBC2 if the live feed hadn't died last night.

ReputationRep:
    Why is recursion everywhere in my java code?

Alaric, recursion and iteration, which is faster to execute?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Camford)
    Why is recursion everywhere in my java code?

Alaric, recursion and iteration, which is faster to execute?
    I'd expect even given a sensible language (eg not ML) then iteration will win. Recursion will require method/function calls which impose more of a cost in terms of program flow (eg looking up a function and then branching is more expensive than just branching I'd expect).

Then you need to think about the increast number of stacks and so on and it all looks a bit bad for recursion...

But! You have to decide what will cost you more in the long run, unclear unmaintainable code or /slightly/ slower code.

A.

ReputationRep:
    Wooo! Part II form filled in. Unfortunately tutorial office is closed for the day now, so will have to wait till tomorrow to hand it in.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks.

one more question: How do I ssh into my pwf space and upload files? I know it's ssh something something. I still need the address. Once I'm in, what do I do to upload or download files?

ReputationRep:
    why not ftp?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willa)
    why not ftp?
    Do I have a ftp client on SuSE? I'm not sure. Even if I did, it'll still be command line, and I still need to know how to work "cp" or "scp".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    Ooooh, anyone else seen Hitchhiker yet?
    Yes. If they hadn't removed the jokes to put in a love story, it would've been excellent.

ReputationRep:

live snooker
    COME ON MURPHY!

ReputationRep:
    Come on! My rice!!! Wicked...

Sorry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willa)
    why not ftp?
    Please :rolleyes:. Passwords in plaintext---No!

(Original post by Camford)
    Thanks.

one more question: How do I ssh into my pwf space and upload files? I know it's ssh something something. I still need the address. Once I'm in, what do I do to upload or download files?
    To upload:
    Code:
    scp local/filename [email protected]:~/remote/filename/if/there/should/be/one
    To download:
    Code:
    scp [email protected]:~/remote/filename local/filename/destination
    There is also linux2 if linux3 is having problems. You can also of course use a directory as the filename and the current filename will be added to the destination directory.

For more information:
    Code:
    man scp
    hth

A.

ReputationRep:
    I can fairly happily live without windows now. Thank YOU!!

ReputationRep:
    Hawking came to Pembroke today!!!!

Not to bad for me having met two candidates for the Godship in 4 weeks.

ReputationRep:
    did you talk to him at all though? I was chatting with someone who sees him quite often, and was saying how it gets very confusing when you ask him a question and he doesnt seem to reply, then you ask him another question, again no response, then you ask him a third question. Finally you get a response: it's the answer to the first question!

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.