Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scarlet ibis)
    well, she finds chem & phys way more challenging than i did (and i found them challenging enough) so i just try and help her if i can. i'm not sure how much use i am - i'm a pretty crap teacher :rolleyes:
    I found the best way to deal with them was to treat them (the subjects) with contempt. I would then view them in a patronising way which made it all really easy to understand. Don't know if that makes sense to other people!

The same with exams... I went into them thinking they were going to be really easy. I honestly never did any revision for any of them. That way I kept my mind open. If I revised, I'd have started to panic. Then I'd have closed my mind and started to forget stuff.

Always worked for me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by polthegael)
    Awhh... That's cute bordering on altruistic (but it isn't quite as she has 75% of your genes!)
    Haven't been reading Steven Pinker have you?

Awhh... That's cute bordering on altruistic (but it isn't quite as she has 75% of your genes!)
    75%? where does that number come from, I don't get it? I would think theoretically it would be 50% - 100% so is 75% taken as an "average" ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana)
    75%? where does that number come from, I don't get it? I would think theoretically it would be 50% - 100% so is 75% taken as an "average" ?
    No, it's just wrong! 50% is right..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana)
    Hmm, we were told it's 50% shared between siblings.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    Hmm, we were told it's 50% shared between siblings.
    Accepted...

Coefficient of relatedness is indeed 0.5 for siblings...

ReputationRep:
    Accepted...

Coefficient of relatedness is indeed 0.5 for siblings...
    Some bees have a 0.75 coefficient of relatedness.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Squishy)
    Some bees have a 0.75 coefficient of relatedness.
    I don't understand what confused me (for I am still confused). I know I must have read somewhere about things performing ostensably altruistic acts but it was only to aid their siblings so as to increase their chance of keeping their own genes in the gene pool. I'm sure 0.75 definitely raised it's head at some time!

Maybe it was Squishy's bees!

ReputationRep:
    But you come from John Major's heartland!
    John Major went to the sme Primary School as me as a coincidence. It my my old schools crowning glory!! They even had a signed photo of him up in the corridor

And what's all this talk of relatedness of bees and siblings?? :confused: Seems like a crazy mix of biology and maths...both of which i have attempted to forget about since the end of exams

G

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gzftan)
    John Major went to the sme Primary School as me as a coincidence. It my my old schools crowning glory!! They even had a signed photo of him up in the corridor

And what's all this talk of relatedness of bees and siblings?? :confused: Seems like a crazy mix of biology and maths...both of which i have attempted to forget about since the end of exams

G
    And something I evidently have actually managed to forget! I'm more awake and less confused now though!

ReputationRep:
    And something I evidently have actually managed to forget! I'm more awake and less confused now though!
    Awake.....how can you be awake this early in the morning?!?! [yawn]

G

ReputationRep:
    Also...i've noticed in other threads...maybe this one too..you've written in gaelic?? Just out of interest....have you ever played gaelic football??

G

ReputationRep:
    Also...i've noticed in other threads...maybe this one too..you've written in gaelic?? Just out of interest....have you ever played gaelic football??

G
    Yes... Why?

Does Cambridge have a team?

ReputationRep:
    Yes... Why?

Does Cambridge have a team?
    I just wondered...always looked funny when they showed it on telly...but they don't show it anymore. Don't suppose you could explain the whole running with the ball..but kicking it up thing?? :confused:

I don't know if cambridge have a team....but you can always apply for a grant to start a club if there isn't one!!

G

ReputationRep:
    I just wondered...always looked funny when they showed it on telly...but they don't show it anymore. Don't suppose you could explain the whole running with the ball..but kicking it up thing?? :confused:
    G
    You can run four paces then you have to bounce or kick the ball if you want to keep going. I think you can kick as many times as you like but cannot bounce twice in a row. I THINK!

ReputationRep:
    You can run four paces then you have to bounce or kick the ball if you want to keep going. I think you can kick as many times as you like but cannot bounce twice in a row. I THINK!
    CRAZY!!!! I'd have trouble remembering whether i'd kicked or bounced previously....i'll stick to rugby....just run forwards

G

ReputationRep:
    CRAZY!!!! I'd have trouble remembering whether i'd kicked or bounced previously....i'll stick to rugby....just run forwards

G
    Rugby is fine, but what if you want to run backwards? Also it has a silly shaped ball

ReputationRep:
    well running forward is the logical thing to do seeings as ur tryin to score a try. nothing stops u running bk either if thats ur cup of tea lol. depends if it helps u or not

ReputationRep:
    Rugby is fine, but what if you want to run backwards? Also it has a silly shaped ball
    Well...i suppose you could run backwards if you want..like Rockindemon said....but the only time i'd even consider doing that is to chase the opposition if they've got the ball

G

ReputationRep:
    Hello everybody...

Just a post to say that it has come to my attention that while this thread is thriving...newer members may feel initimidated about joining in the conversation. I'd just like to encourage these people to post in this thread, don't be shy...you're all welcome here...just be friendly, and keep the conversation on topic please!

I look forward to reading posts from new members

G

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.