Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    The Origin of Trinity:

Duffet-Smith: Newton was a genius, he was a trinity man. Are you at Trinity?
    Student: yes.
    Class laughs
    Duffet-Smith: We all have our crosses to bear.

I can't believe I wrote that down in my lecture notes.

ReputationRep:
    "small child making loud bangs" -- high energy physicist

ReputationRep:
    My early night plan has been foiled by "Final Destination 2"... dude... :eek: I can't believe I laughed at the final scene:eek:.

ReputationRep:
    Go to bed! Bad camfo!

ReputationRep:
    I laughed when the flying fence cut up that guy

ReputationRep:
    It wasn't as good as the first one

ReputationRep:
    John Cage is one weird ass... even more than me. Sometimes I can't help but wonder. What would happen to me if I were anymore weirder than I am now. Would I be a lawyer?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lozza)
    lawyers have to work all three years of their degree. you only have to work in the last one.
    Oh really? tell me to stop programming for a year and come back for Part II and you expect me to pass? Not to mention I wouldn't even be able to start my 3rd year project because I have no large project experience.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lozza)
    :p: i'm pretty sure you know what i meant.

in case you didn't...

we only quote our last year's mark when applying for a job. lawyers have to quote the year with the course that's relevant. they don't know what they want to do til they've done all three courses hence need to do well in all.

when i say we don't have to work, i mean in cambridge standards.
    Oh really... I need to work my ass off next year just so I can finish my part of my group project. And you've probably seen Alaric stressing out writing his disertation and you are telling me I don't need to work hard?

I'd love to think that I can get away with minimal work load and still land myself a 35 grand job after 3 years. Truth is, that's never going to happen.

one last thing, I need to quote this year result for an intern next year. If I don't get an intern, I'll be damn well pissed off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lozza)
    my friend got a 3rd last year and his starting salary is something along those lines (he's a compsci).

anyway you can still get internships even if you only get a 2i.
    It would be kind of rediculous if you can't get an intern with a 2i. But, it can be difficult with a 2ii. If you get a first, then it's easier to get a high profile intern. And if you get a first in your 2nd year, it's easier to ask for a higher starting salary than otherwise. Grades and money are interchangable in most circumstances.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lozza)
    so i could get a 2ii this year and a 1st in 2nd and 3rd year, and I'd still end up with a good job?

i haven't started revising physics yet (ive made notes on everything tho).

i'm not convinced about interns...i dont know if i even want to work in science. why am i doing this degree?
    urgh physics. With me it's far too much of a case of hoping the right questions come up, cos it seems with most physics questions I either definitely know how to do it, or I really have no clue what-so-ever! Anyhows...two thirds of it revised.

why did you bother making notes when we have lecture notes!!??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lozza)
    made it go from being a big super huge folder to about 40 pages. in theory should have learnt some of it as i did it. in fact, i know i learnt the quantum stuff because i had to read it and understand it to make notes on it. jon calls them my cheat notes.
    *gasp* you know the quantum stuff....please tell me, thats the bit i have yet to revise and it seems like far too much stuff!

ReputationRep:
    Quantum stuff *is* straight forward. But you just have to understand them first. I like EM and Mechanics. I think I'm going to try to make sure I get as many marks as possible out of those 2. Will probably only attempt 20 marks for Quantum.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willa)
    why did you bother making notes when we have lecture notes!!??
    Um.. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I can foresee my miserable future where I'll spend every single hard earned penny I have on Ally McBeal .

ReputationRep:
    I'm trying to imagine what it would be like to open a can of whoopass in tomorrow's physics exam. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    ****ing ey!
    I'm no longer a compsci

I'm also really quite ill and still a little drunk after last night :/. I'm never drinking alcohol again, well maybe until tomorrow.

Live the dream!

A.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alaric)
    ****ing ey!
    I'm no longer a compsci

I'm also really quite ill and still a little drunk after last night :/. I'm never drinking alcohol again, well maybe until tomorrow.

Live the dream!

A.
    i thought we told all you people who have finished exams to stay away from this place until next wednesday.....this should be a place of depression! :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Camford)
    Oh really... I need to work my ass off next year just so I can finish my part of my group project. And you've probably seen Alaric stressing out writing his disertation and you are telling me I don't need to work hard?

I'd love to think that I can get away with minimal work load and still land myself a 35 grand job after 3 years. Truth is, that's never going to happen.

one last thing, I need to quote this year result for an intern next year. If I don't get an intern, I'll be damn well pissed off.
    I've worked far too hard this year, well I still know many people who've worked harder, it's just I procrastinate too much (like on here). I also got the project thing wrong, I did far too much work for it because it was a loosely defined problem. If you don't get an internship your chances of getting a good grad job in compsci are significantly lower.

(Original post by Lozza)
    my friend got a 3rd last year and his starting salary is something along those lines (he's a compsci).

anyway you can still get internships even if you only get a 2i.
    Is that chettz? Starting salaries around those lines are reasonably common in compsci, the 35k jobs tend to be IB techs though, and the easiest way to get one of them is to get an internship there and impress them in the summer.

One of my parents' friends described my starting salary as "obscene" and yet I know at least ten people starting higher in tech jobs and more mathmos/economists going even higher in IBs.

(Original post by Lozza)
    so i could get a 2ii this year and a 1st in 2nd and 3rd year, and I'd still end up with a good job?

i haven't started revising physics yet (ive made notes on everything tho).

i'm not convinced about interns...i dont know if i even want to work in science. why am i doing this degree?
    Getting a good job is more about experience and demonstrating soft skills imo than the actual grades. Some employers do state needing a 2i etc but in the end it's just as important to get an internship and to have some society stuff on your cv to demonstrate you're normal and can interact with real people too.
    If you've made notes on the lecture notes: how is that not revising? I only made notes on 3 of the courses out of 14 I was targetting this year for revision, the rest I only had time to highlight . Not expecting to do that well.

But yes, you can always end up with a good job now you're here, but it's easier if you get good grades and it leaves other areas such as phds open.

Right I think I'm going to crawl back into bed now

A.

Patch: logical flaw found by Rosie

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willa)
    i thought we told all you people who have finished exams to stay away from this place until next wednesday.....this should be a place of depression! :mad:
    Nah. It's all about the confidence. Don't get stressed about the exams and you'll have a much clearer head when you're in there to answer the questions. So no depression about them!

A.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.