Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    THANK YOU EVERYONE!!
    aww, everyone round here's so helpful.

(Original post by KHL)
    bikes? useful, but only if you are able to cycle up a steep hill
    You call that a hill? Then you haven't seen real hills like the ones round here.
    Although, on second thoughts, I should reserve that comment until I've actually tried cycling up it. :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana)
    yeah, sorry, I meant Rh + for the dad not Rh -. But i dont have to worry because im posssssssssssitive........ wahoo.......i can have everyones babies.

or not

rosie
    An intriguing prospect Tee hee..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana)
    life long immunity? im not quite sure what you mean.

they dont give people immunosuppressants, apparently:

Women who are Rh- are routinely given an injection of a substance called Anti-D shortly after the baby is born (or after a miscarriage or termination). This destroys any Rh+ cells that may have got into the bloodstream so that they won't produce any more antibodies. In some areas, Anti-D is given to Rh- women during pregnancy, but this is not routinely done everywhere.

Ah... all becomes clear So they need new injections after each pregnancy?

Be thankful you avoid all those injections! On the other hand, in comparison with the excruciating pain of labour, I don't think a little prick would hurt that much (though that does introduce a "chicken and egg" senario if you have a dirty mind )

PS the immunity I was going on about was immunity against developing Rh+ distroying antibodies, but you have put me straight now...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KHL)
    if i remember correctly, it really isn't advisable for a Rh- mother to have a second Rh+ baby - you'd never know how serious an immune response you mount, no matter what you do to immunosuppress (although if you went the whole way and took out your immune system... :rolleyes: ) i once asked a doctor-relative about this, and iirc, they recommended abortion
    This is the point of the anti-D injections Crana was on about...

Edit: please replace "Crana" with "Rosie" in above sentence (after reading above post )

Rosie: What is the meaning/significance of "Crana"?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gzftan)
    Lol..never...i take any chance i have to bring it up.
    That could also be taken the wrong way.

ReputationRep:
    I was hoping this technical talk might have died down by now :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acaila)
    I was hoping this technical talk might have died down by now :rolleyes:
    Yeah, to bring the thread back on-topic...3½ weeks until exam results (A2s anyway).

ReputationRep:
    16 days for me :P

(Original post by polthegael)
    PS the immunity I was going on about was immunity against developing Rh+ distroying antibodies, but you have put me straight now...
    ah right
    I'm not completely sure that what it says about destroying the cells or whatever is right. I think it might be an easy version for non technical pregnant ladies... I am fairly sure the anti-D doesnt kill any cells, it just locks onto the D antibodies and stops them working. Could be wrong tho.

ReputationRep:
    {bangs head off desk}

(Original post by polthegael)
    This is the point of the anti-D injections Crana was on about...

Edit: please replace "Crana" with "Rosie" in above sentence (after reading above post )

Rosie: What is the meaning/significance of "Crana"?
    Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrm well when we were in likle y7 me and my firned used to liesten to the beatles asnd on one song at the end john goes "craaaaaaaaaaaaaanbefrry sauce, craaaaaaaaaaanberry sauce" for no apparent reason.. and we used to just say it foer no reason.. so my friend started calling me cran and i added an a to make it sund more feminine. and i just use it becauyse no one else ever has it toi register for stuff online.

she got called clay because we had a poster iof this band we liked but didnt know any of the guys' names and one of them (the best one) had this tshirt and you could kind of read it looked like it said "clay" on it so that became his name and therefore hers. I think it actually said "Joey" and was a ramones tshirt, but im not sure. i gave away all my posters some time ago.

rosie (not crana)

{bangs head off desk}
    im sorry acaila

To change the subject!!!!!!!!

Has anyone else noticed a preponderance of brunettes with long ish straight ish hair among the photos on here........?

i do not think i have seen a single blonde girl?? and where are all the curly people............? (wait, i think acaila or fluffstar is curly.. i cant remember)

rosie

ReputationRep:
    Not me
    Mine's kinda wavy
    Actually it's curly at the top, straight in the middle and wavy at the ends. But I would say wavy - straight

Not me
    Mine's kinda wavy
    Actually it's curly at the top, straight in the middle and wavy at the ends. But I would say wavy - straight
    mine's straight but doesnt like being attached to my head and likes to try and escape at odd angles

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like the top part of mine

Sounds like the top part of mine
    about 5 mins after ive brushed it i get a "halo" round my head of escaping bits!!

maybe its a sign - IM AN ANGEL!!

ReputationRep:
    You certainly are dear

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana)
    im sorry acaila

To change the subject!!!!!!!!

Has anyone else noticed a preponderance of brunettes with long ish straight ish hair among the photos on here........?

i do not think i have seen a single blonde girl?? and where are all the curly people............? (wait, i think acaila or fluffstar is curly.. i cant remember)

rosie
    I think fluffstar has blonde hair??

Here's a question for you lot....hair colour that's kinda blonde....but slightly brown as well....what would you call it??? Cos sometimes i see girls with hair like that...i i reckon they're blonde...but other people think they're brunette?? :confused:

G

ReputationRep:
    right... back to the antibody talk...

seriously, when you guys started mentioning hair colour, i did a bit of reflection and realized that there aren't all that many blondes in cambridge.

if asked to make a rough estimate, i'd say around 1/4 to 1/3 of the population could be classified blondes, if the term is applied somewhat loosely (i.e. "dirty" blondes) coz i'm an international, i have no idea what the "normal" proportion in the general population would be... anyone care to comment about that?

edit: maybe it's true, what they say about blondes?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kath)
    THANK YOU EVERYONE!!
    aww, everyone round here's so helpful.
    No problem.....anymore questions?? As long as they don't divert conversation back to scientific debate.....we've only just managed to escape it

(Original post by Kath)
    You call that a hill? Then you haven't seen real hills like the ones round here.
    Although, on second thoughts, I should reserve that comment until I've actually tried cycling up it. :P
    The question is.....could you cycle up it....when you're late for a lecture....with a stonking great hangover??

G

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.