Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lauren)
    I got 61%. I thought I did well in that paper I officially have the mental capacity of a dying snail.

Will got genius%.
    My boy (check out me being über-patronising) didn't do as well as he'd thought in that paper either - was expecting to breeze a first, but didn't quite though he whipped arse in two of his other subjects. Guess maybe it was one of those tricksy papers where sometimes you can't tell how well you did - I had one of them last year, one of my essay papers, thought it was pretty good...I got a 3rd on it

ReputationRep:
    well this year over 80% in physics was definitely a v good mark it turns out! It was a lot tougher than people had anticipated

ReputationRep:
    Will, over 80% in anything at Cambridge is a damn good mark. If you don't stop talking soon I think your head might explode :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    Will, over 80% in anything at Cambridge is a damn good mark. If you don't stop talking soon I think your head might explode :p:

hmmmm, i see what you mean (sorry, must still be stuck in A Level mode), but in all fairness, with subjects such as maths and physics, they are very much questions where you know it or you don't, and it's not impossible for you to spend sufficient time revising to mean you do know it all! My comment about the physics paper is in response to how people have initially been disappointed by their marks: I don't know anyone who had done BETTER in physics than they thought they had! It seems it was tougher than everyone anticipated, unlike other science exams where people seemed very capable of predicting what they would get, and in some cases being pleasently suprised.

In relation to the physics paper, people I know who thought they had pretty much aced that exam (i.e. couldnt think of any questions they got wrong apart from maybe one or two 1 mark parts) have got near to 90% (this is based on the two people I know who thought they really had got it all right!). Talking to other people, they all feel like they got about 10% less than they thought they would have got. That was what the comment was to do with!

You have to admit that physics and maths tend to be exceptions in that you can indeed get near to 100% in them, but likewise it is very possible to get close to 0% (whereas in the more essay based subjects it seems very hard to score v highly, or v low)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willa)
    You have to admit that physics and maths tend to be exceptions in that you can indeed get near to 100% in them, but likewise it is very possible to get close to 0% (whereas in the more essay based subjects it seems very hard to score v highly, or v low)
    Yep, and even in stuff like Medicine the essay sections make it damn hard to get anywhere near that high - I scored over 80% in some of my MCQ/practical bits and bobs last year but my essays brought me way down (hopefully I didn't do quite so abysmally on them this year, but I haven't seen a complete per-paper breakdown).

There is some scaling that goes on though, which is probably why people who thought they got near 100% didn't in the end, as opposed to A-Levels where you can get 100% UMS with nowhere near 100% raw marks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffstar)
    Lots of students up for the open day couldn't get home and had to stay the night at newnham
    One of our church members is still missing from that London attack actually. Hmm I hope we hear news soon, if only to know. I thought he would be home by now when I first heard he was in London.

ReputationRep:
    does anyone else want to smack a particular few people on here? Only joking dears

ReputationRep:
    I am sure it can be arranged...:flute:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by irisng)
    One of our church members is still missing from that London attack actually. Hmm I hope we hear news soon, if only to know. I thought he would be home by now when I first heard he was in London.
    what's his name? is he on here?
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/tm_obje...name_page.html
    (theres a 2nd page)

ReputationRep:
    hmmmpth! I haven't had a good afternoon!

It was such a nice afternoon that I went out sculling with some friends, but during some silly balance practice exercises I inevitabley fell in, but landed on something sharp (might have been just some sharp stones, or glass, I have no idea!) when I climbed out of the river 10 seconds later I found my feet were all scratched and freely bleeding from a couple of places! After washing these cuts, I dashed down to the doctors: My feet are now padded and taped up, I have had to have a tetnus booster and am on a course of antibiotics!

I don't mind as long as nothing comes of this......I just hope I haven't been infected with anything, the antibiotics and booster were all just precautions, and I was only in the water for a matter of seconds....it's just not a good thing to actually cut yourself on something in the water! Hope I don't develop anything....i wanna be able to row this week and enjoy my summer, not start it off with bad news!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana9)
    does anyone else want to smack a particular few people on here? Only joking dears
    In what sense "smack"? :eek: :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I miss raphy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willa)
    hmmmpth! I haven't had a good afternoon!

It was such a nice afternoon that I went out sculling with some friends, but during some silly balance practice exercises I inevitabley fell in, but landed on something sharp (might have been just some sharp stones, or glass, I have no idea!) when I climbed out of the river 10 seconds later I found my feet were all scratched and freely bleeding from a couple of places! After washing these cuts, I dashed down to the doctors: My feet are now padded and taped up, I have had to have a tetnus booster and am on a course of antibiotics!

I don't mind as long as nothing comes of this......I just hope I haven't been infected with anything, the antibiotics and booster were all just precautions, and I was only in the water for a matter of seconds....it's just not a good thing to actually cut yourself on something in the water! Hope I don't develop anything....i wanna be able to row this week and enjoy my summer, not start it off with bad news!
    ah the perils of falling in in the cam. maybe you should get some sort of leather-soled socks?! so that if you fall in again, at least you're prepared for the shallowness of it!

ReputationRep:
    why is this thread so huge?:eek: - takes ages to load up...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phil23)
    why is this thread so huge?:eek: - takes ages to load up...
    at cambridge we dont do things in half measures :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lauren)
    I got 61%. I thought I did well in that paper I officially have the mental capacity of a dying snail.

Will got genius%.
    Oi! i got 54% in evo and 55% in materials. I like to think I have the mental capacity of at least a toad or small wombat.

...and 32% in maths. Yeah baby!

ReputationRep:
    I have the mental capabilities of a small wombat. I am beginning to realise why they don't let wombats apply to the university.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, Richard Feynman was a thinking radish. That's not even an animal (despite what some people on the summer school I just got back from would tell you. One girl drew a cladogram for the group that showed humans as more closely related to a plant than to another animal. It wasn't a mistake - she was sure it was right and attempted to justify it..)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by visesh)
    I miss raphy
    tell me about it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana9)
    Hey, Richard Feynman was a thinking radish. That's not even an animal (despite what some people on the summer school I just got back from would tell you. One girl drew a cladogram for the group that showed humans as more closely related to a plant than to another animal. It wasn't a mistake - she was sure it was right and attempted to justify it..)
    I am impressed. How on earth did she manage that? Which plant was it?

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.