Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lauren)
    why? i want to see cindys i'm really jealous now :mad: :p:

for you harry potter freaks, you could just sleep in on saturday morning then have not-so-little little sister bring it to you as you stagger out of bed because the weirdo has finished it already.

:rofl:
    rosie got hers in the post, and finished it by lunch:eek:

ReputationRep:
    edit: i've just realised that being obsessed with the tdf may sound even more sad than being obsessed with hp.
    It's OK... I'm mildly obsessed with it too, although possibly less so now that it appears to have lost any chance of still being competitive (for 1st at least) over the next week.

ReputationRep:
    Let's do a Tour de Cambridge next year. Anyone?

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I finished HP in 8 hours (including crying for DD). Worst part had to be when he was pleading and screaming when Harry was giving him the potion...I felt like banging my fists and going STOP HARRY!

ReputationRep:
    You ought to delete that!

Ben

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Camford)
    Is that just a psuedonym for a pub-crawl?

ReputationRep:
    why? i want to see cindys i'm really jealous now :mad: :p:
    i'm doing a research project for my dissertation this summer so i'm staying in college to do that. the room i'm in has a window that directly faces cindy's, which is, er, nice. it wasn't as noisy as i thought it would be last night though so i can't complain too much

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coldfish)
    Is that just a psuedonym for a pub-crawl?
    Dude, I am a serious cyclist. I am going to import my bike into cambridge at the beginning of october.

ReputationRep:
    Dude, I am a serious cyclist. I am going to import my bike into cambridge at the beginning of october.
    I'll bring my tankard too

MB

ReputationRep:
    12000 men are impotent due to smoking in the UK? :confused:

This is great, Five just aired this NHS anti smoking ad followed by an ad for "the Magic Roundabout".

ReputationRep:
    Does that mean that smoking in France is fine?

Real cycling? Pfft. That involves all sorts of stuff... like balance, and effort, and energy and stuff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by minimo)
    I finished HP in 8 hours
    Lame-o. I had to finish it in way less time from that. I had to finish it before my sister got back from work and before I had to go to work.

ReputationRep:
    I think we might be hard pressed to create a mountain stage... the hill up to New Hall, Fitz etc. doesn't quite cut it. A time trial of several laps round Trinity Great Court would be fun though .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mop)
    I think we might be hard pressed to create a mountain stage... the hill up to New Hall, Fitz etc. doesn't quite cut it. A time trial of several laps round Trinity Great Court would be fun though .
    Could do, could do. All in the good will of charity.

ReputationRep:
    It would have the added fun of angry porters chasing after you, helping you get a faster time .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mop)
    It would have the added fun of angry porters chasing after you, helping you get a faster time .
    In their bowler hats ^o) yes... Come here you cuddly monsters. Come here.

ReputationRep:
    Finished Harry Potter at last this afternoon (I'm such a slow reader). I don't think anything I'm about to say is spoiling it for people.

I think rowling is trying to mislead us over some important factors, such as who is R.A.B (there's only one real possibility if that is a previously mentioned character's true initials - i'd be suprised if it turns out to be the case cos it just seems like something rowling would rather leave as a suprise!) I'm also quite cool over the "big event" which occurs in the book - you just need to remember that 1. This is a kids book, it will have a happy ending, things like what appears to have happened are hardly permanent (think of gandalf in Lord of the Rings). 2. Individual actions surrounding the event need to be explained, and if Rowling leaves things as they appear to be, they will never be properly explained - she wouldn't do that, hence I think things will take a pleasent turn in the 7th book. My general feeling is that the whole event was a "rehersed" procedure by the two signficant characters (which harry and many others are unaware of).

(mods feel free to edit that if you think it's a give-away, but I dont think it is).

ReputationRep:
    "This is a kids book, it will have a happy ending"

you clearly didn't read the same books as I did as a child.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana9)
    "This is a kids book, it will have a happy ending"

you clearly didn't read the same books as I did as a child.
    are you claiming this is a book aimed at adults!? No it was originally for children, and children want a happy ending, they can't cope with permanent tragedy! Even Tolkein gave us a happy ending for goodness sake!

ReputationRep:
    Last one left able to ride their bike wins?

I don't even have a /copy/ of the new HP book. I'm hoping to scab a copy off somebody and use it to fill the time before I get a lovely package from Amazon.

Poll
Favourite type of bread

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.