Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Camford)
    Pembroke use static IP. visesh got into my computer a few days ago using the IP I gave him. And windows DID complain about IP and nothing else.

Try pinging sc455.pem.cam.ac.uk and you'll see my IP.
    yeah that's what i mean, that you are assigned automatically an ip to match your user name, and that that needs to be correlated with your MAC address before you can use the network. so I find it hard to believe someone else is using your IP address on the network since they're all generally assigned automatically to prevent conflicts.

ReputationRep:
    Questions for boaties:

does anyone know Ellie, Queens' College Women's Boat Club Captain?
    it's my mummy

I think i might become a boatie :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by French Pikachu)
    Questions for boaties:

does anyone know Ellie, Queens' College Womens' Boat Club Captain?
    it's my mummy

I think i might become a boatie :p:
    sorry, i only know the ex magdelene and jesus womens' captains.

and yeah, with your college mum being the womens' captain i guess you're under at least a little pressure to at least novice.

*gets ready for michaelmas* Damn novices blocking up the river *grumble grumble*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willa)

and yeah, with your college mum being the womens' captain i guess you're under at least a little pressure to at least novice.

*gets ready for michaelmas* Damn novices blocking up the river *grumble grumble*

hehe i'd probably block the river :p: i always wanted to try but felt like i'd be to shy too... but now tha ti ahve VIP access i guess i will at elast novice she seems really nice and very crazy! love that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willa)

Ah but you can go out earlier and get down onto the Reach and beyond before they are allowed out :p:

Besides, I thought you weren't even likely to be on the Cam.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willa)
    yeah that's what i mean, that you are assigned automatically an ip to match your user name, and that that needs to be correlated with your MAC address before you can use the network. so I find it hard to believe someone else is using your IP address on the network since they're all generally assigned automatically to prevent conflicts.
    dude, my ip has got nothing to do with my mac address. pick any computer with an ethernet plug whole, connect that to a pembroke socket, put in that ip, it'll work. I said, someone else was using this ip, how could you not get it? I wouldn't have had that problem if Pembroke was DHCP. I pinged that guy using another ip, I'm sure he's in pembroke.

ReputationRep:
    There's still no sign of kids for my family...

ReputationRep:
    I thought the IPs were assigned to the room?

ReputationRep:
    My new sound card....droooools....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Camford)
    dude, my ip has got nothing to do with my mac address. pick any computer with an ethernet plug whole, connect that to a pembroke socket, put in that ip, it'll work. I said, someone else was using this ip, how could you not get it? I wouldn't have had that problem if Pembroke was DHCP. I pinged that guy using another ip, I'm sure he's in pembroke.
    i dont get it because i thought IP's were linked to your camid which is linked to your mac address.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willa)
    i dont get it because i thought IP's were linked to your camid which is linked to your mac address.
    IPs aren't linked to your camid or your room. At Sidney they reallocate IPs if you move to a house that's not on the network, otherwise you keep the same one for simplicity. If you return to the network, the issue you a new IP address.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ticki)
    IPs aren't linked to your camid or your room. At Sidney they reallocate IPs if you move to a house that's not on the network, otherwise you keep the same one for simplicity. If you return to the network, the issue you a new IP address.
    then why is shuai claiming someone is using "his" ip....perhaps different colleges use different systems

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willa)
    then why is shuai claiming someone is using "his" ip....perhaps different colleges use different systems
    They might have allocated it to him in his first year, even if it's not linked to his id or room.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ticki)
    They might have allocated it to him in his first year, even if it's not linked to his id or room.
    but then apart from MAC address, how else would the system know it was his IP address?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willa)
    but then apart from MAC address, how else would the system know it was his IP address?
    At Sidney loads of people use random IP addresses, so the system probably doesn't know.

I'm not a CompSci, I'm just saying that it's not uncommon for other people to use your IP address, and there doesn't really seem to be any way of stopping that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ticki)
    At Sidney loads of people use random IP addresses, so the system probably doesn't know.

I'm not a CompSci, I'm just saying that it's not uncommon for other people to use your IP address, and there doesn't really seem to be any way of stopping that.
    i dont understand though, i thought IP address have to either be manually or automatically assigned by the host server, and if he says he has his own IP address, it's not one of his own choosing, rather one that has been specifically allocated and associated with some form of identification of his...be it his MAC address or his cam ID (we know that to be the case since he said himself that you could access his computer using his cam DNS)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Immortal Wombat)
    I thought the IPs were assigned to the room?
    Probably not. IP is more likely to be assigned to person than room.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willa)
    i dont understand though, i thought IP address have to either be manually or automatically assigned by the host server, and if he says he has his own IP address, it's not one of his own choosing, rather one that has been specifically allocated and associated with some form of identification of his...be it his MAC address or his cam ID (we know that to be the case since he said himself that you could access his computer using his cam DNS)
    Dude, the CO can give you any unused ip as he pleases. You have to register your computer on the network using your camid and the college DNS, hence my computer is sc455.pem.cam.ac.uk. and Rosie's should be rcp37.pem.cam.ac.uk. If I happen to change my ip, so long as I'm on the pembroke network, you can always reach me at sc455.pem.cam.ac.uk.

ReputationRep:
    I could still get on the network if I changed the last couple of digits of my IP address. I know some people who do that to get a free connection. Very sneaky.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ticki)
    I could still get on the network if I changed the last couple of digits of my IP address. I know some people who do that to get a free connection. Very sneaky.
    Maybe camfo is a victim of this sneakyness!?

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.