Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Ah, no, these were usually things like the lecturer forgot to add on a constant when he moved from one line to another or wrote + and said -, etc. This happened all the time in QB. One lecturer would give people chocolate if they spotted stuff he did wrong.

Trinity used to do this in Cells at the start of last year.

ReputationRep:
    HAHAHA! Nice one. I'm not sure it tops the 1A Chemistry paper planes attack though.

I think some people hate me because I'm using a laptop instead of having craptacular notetakers this year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana9)
    HAHAHA! Nice one. I'm not sure it tops the 1A Chemistry paper planes attack though.

I think some people hate me because I'm using a laptop instead of having craptacular notetakers this year.
    I wouldn't give a toss about what people think of me if I took my laptop to the lectures... except I won't do that, because time away from the internet means content not downloaded off "the Cave of Wonders".

ReputationRep:
    I think I figured out how that ball trick works... Now, I need to make my limbs move in such a way that no ball drops out of the mid-of-air...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Camford)
    I think I figured out how that ball trick works... Now, I need to make my limbs move in such a way that no ball drops out of the mid-of-air...
    That's always the most difficult part

ReputationRep:
    are you talking about that thing where you throw one ball up, and then throw another ball up before the first ball has come back down, and then when the first ball falls into the hand which threw the second ball, you throw a third ball into the air from the other hand, so that that hand is now free to catch the second ball?

ReputationRep:
    One should invent some sort of weird and long notation for juggling moves ... like the ones for vectors :'(

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xyro)
    One should invent some sort of weird and long notation for juggling moves ... like the ones for vectors :'(
    Simple....juggling = steady state solutions of the following equations:

For all balls, x > 0
    ∑|v| > 0 (summed over all balls)

(Basically: All balls are are off the ground, and at least some of them are moving).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willa)
    are you talking about that thing where you throw one ball up, and then throw another ball up before the first ball has come back down, and then when the first ball falls into the hand which threw the second ball, you throw a third ball into the air from the other hand, so that that hand is now free to catch the second ball?
    well.. yes, except all you have said are regarded as irrelavent or useless...

ReputationRep:
    well.. yes, except all you have said are regarded as irrelavent or useless...
    so basically the "ball trick" you are describing is the "act of juggling"?

ReputationRep:
    It is a subset of the act of juggling. There are many juggling ball tricks which your description is necessary but insufficient to specify.

ReputationRep:
    See, that is why notation is needed ... like something similiar to knot theory with some vector stuff perhaps

Ah nvm. I had better do some work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xyro)
    It's already been done. Siteswap is the most common although if Camfo's trying to do Mills Mess it's not very useful for describing that, since your arms move around.

Claude Shannon, who I guess CompScis should know about, spent some of his time after he retired working on a mathematical theory of juggling. And designing a motorised pogo stick :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Oh of course ... the hands! Ah well ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Immortal Wombat)
    It is a subset of the act of juggling. There are many juggling ball tricks which your description is necessary but insufficient to specify.
    i stated that juggling is a steady state solution, I dont think my equations are a subset because all acts of juggling obey such rules - I.e. if you have one of the items on the floor...that's not juggling. If you aren't moving any of the items, that's not juggling.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willa)
    I.e. if you have one of the items on the floor...that's not juggling.
    Bounce juggling! In normal juggling you also sometimes get people who throw clubs on the floor so they bounce back up again, I think. But that's probably not what you meant.
    If you aren't moving any of the items, that's not juggling.
    There are tricks which involve you holding one of the balls for a while. In most tricks you do move the held ball so it looks better but I don't think it's compulsory.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willa)
    i stated that juggling is a steady state solution, I dont think my equations are a subset because all acts of juggling obey such rules - I.e. if you have one of the items on the floor...that's not juggling. If you aren't moving any of the items, that's not juggling.
    Yes, whatever your said describes all 3-ball tricks... But it's useless in the sense that all tricks obey such rule. When one is asked to describe a specific trick, your description becomes rather... well, you know.

ReputationRep:
    I should put activities involving the movements of legs on hold for a while... I am having trouble climbing up stairs ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willa)
    I was unclear then. Camfo's "ball trick" was a subset of the range of juggling actions which your description of ball/hand motion can describe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Immortal Wombat)
    I was unclear then. Camfo's "ball trick" was a subset of the range of juggling actions which your description of ball/hand motion can describe.
    yes i never implied my mathematical description was precise, more just something which any juggling must obey.

And either way, camfo's "ball trick" appears to be regular juggling.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.