Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steveee)
    The guy across my corridor is a windows geek... he says that windows is much more stable than os x. :rofl:

The point is that macs (on os x) don't crash often, hence why people take pictures of it when it happens. unlike windows which probably crashes thousands of times per second around the world.
    Macs suck. Linux all the way...

Or Windows if you actually value your time!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Camford)
    ARM is funny...

What do you mean you say you've broken your ARM?!
    We did laminar and chaotic flow today! Fascinating! :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MadNatSci)
    DNA hallucinations?! You're working too hard...
    Not at the moment I'm not...just spent three hours doing Novice Regatta stuff and I'm so wiped out I can't contemplate reading about nuclear phospholipase C :rolleyes:

I've realised now though that it's not Christmas and I haven't missed the last month due to being unconscious (which I thought I had this morning, twistedly)

ReputationRep:
    Just been to Churchill Superhall! Amazing. particularly because the lamb was so good!
    (I have renounced my vegetarianship and am now enjoying being a full omnivore!)

ReputationRep:
    Ouch.

Just got back from Addenbrookes after destroying my ligaments, tendons, muscles and things after falling down the steps outside the Master's Lodge. After one glass of wine. With the Master. Go me. w00t.

I hate the doctor. Hate him.

Him - "Do you want some painkillers?"
    Me - "Yes please, it hurts like ****"
    Him - "I'll get you some codrydamol...I'll be back with it now..."
    Me - "Right"
    *15 minutes later*
    Him - "I got your x-ray back. It's not broken. You need to take some painkillers, like co-codamol, which you can buy over the counter, and rest it."
    Me - "Right"

Then I realise, it's 10 o'clock and I can't get painkillers. And I possess none. And it hurts. And my ankle is swollen and ouchy. And I can't work my crutches, and the loo is up one floor, and he DIDN'T GET ME MY PAINKILLERS...and there is something cool at Clare Cellars and I want to go...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xx_ambellina_xx)
    Ouch.

Just got back from Addenbrookes after destroying my ligaments, tendons, muscles and things after falling down the steps outside the Master's Lodge. After one glass of wine. With the Master. Go me. w00t.

I hate the doctor. Hate him.

Him - "Do you want some painkillers?"
    Me - "Yes please, it hurts like ****"
    Him - "I'll get you some codrydamol...I'll be back with it now..."
    Me - "Right"
    *15 minutes later*
    Him - "I got your x-ray back. It's not broken. You need to take some painkillers, like co-codamol, which you can buy over the counter, and rest it."
    Me - "Right"

Then I realise, it's 10 o'clock and I can't get painkillers. And I possess none. And it hurts. And my ankle is swollen and ouchy. And I can't work my crutches, and the loo is up one floor, and he DIDN'T GET ME MY PAINKILLERS...and there is something cool at Clare Cellars and I want to go...
    oh. *hugs*, are you all right Rhi? Were you drunk??? I had 3 glasses of wine (the master just kept on pouring me drinks ).

Who took you to Addenbrookes? Think about it this way - you get to visit Addenbrookes, I haven't had the luxury to do so yet. :mad:

Can you tell me who the doctor was? (I sincerely hope it is not one of our supervisors :rolleyes: )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by darkenergy)
    oh. *hugs*, are you all right Rhi? Were you drunk??? I had 3 glasses of wine (the master just kept on pouring me drinks ).

Who took you to Addenbrookes? Think about it this way - you get to visit Addenbrookes, I haven't had the luxury to do so yet. :mad:

Can you tell me who the doctor was? (I sincerely hope it is not one of our supervisors :rolleyes: )
    I have no idea who the doctor was, he didn't introduce himself. Grr.

I got a taxi to Addenbrookes, yay...and I wasn't even drunk, I had one glass of wine. One. It hurts *cries*

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to post on here, I'm not at Cambridge... but I feel your pain! I tore my calf muscle and am still suffering about 8 weeks later! I woke up in agony this morning and couldn't even walk a few metres to the bathroom ... ibuprofen just doesn't cut it unfortunately...

ReputationRep:

I visited in my FIRST WEEK! :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by minimo)
    I visited in my FIRST WEEK! :mad:
    Why?

ReputationRep:
    persistant throwing up and I was perfectly sober.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steveee)
    The guy across my corridor is a windows geek... he says that windows is much more stable than os x. :rofl:

The point is that macs (on os x) don't crash often, hence why people take pictures of it when it happens. unlike windows which probably crashes thousands of times per second around the world.
    Windows is more stable than mac, and more usable because of the right mouse button, and better suited for games because games are written for windows not mac. I've not crashed my windows yet so far, and I've been using it for .... 6 months. But I do frequently screw up Gnome on my SuSE though. I suspect something is broken on my SuSE.

There are plenty of reasons why one should never ever ever buy a mac. But I just can't be bothered to list them all. The list is simply too long.

ReputationRep:

Seeing as it was 10pm on a Friday night, it's most likely one of the rookie juniors who they put on to deal with the millions of drunk puking/fighting people, rather than some senior consultant who would supervise you And Addies isn't that great to be honest, though I've only visited as a student rather than a patient.

But my general rule is if you sound like you know what you're talking about they're much more likely to respect you - it's always worked so far for me. Though it was bloody stupid of them not to realise there aren't going to be any pharmacies open at 10pm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Camford)
    Windows is more stable than mac
    It's debatable. My mac has only crashed once since I got it over a year ago. And it's much nicer than my windows box: I have all of the power of unix sitting on my desktop in a pretty silver case

A.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L.J)
    :confused: There are 24 hour pharmacies.

(I know this for sure, I once went to one to buy hair extensions at 11pm )
    While there will be shops open which have pharmacy counters, the pharmacy counters themselves won't be open. A mixture of it not being worth it, too few people who are qualified to work at the counter who want to work at 3am, and probably to reduce the chances of a robbery.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    Seeing as it was 10pm on a Friday night, it's most likely one of the rookie juniors who they put on to deal with the millions of drunk puking/fighting people, rather than some senior consultant who would supervise you And Addies isn't that great to be honest, though I've only visited as a student rather than a patient.

But my general rule is if you sound like you know what you're talking about they're much more likely to respect you - it's always worked so far for me. Though it was bloody stupid of them not to realise there aren't going to be any pharmacies open at 10pm
    That's what we will be in a few years time... hopefully. :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alaric)
    It's debatable. My mac has only crashed once since I got it over a year ago. And it's much nicer than my windows box: I have all of the power of unix sitting on my desktop in a pretty silver case

A.
    Just knew you'd say something like that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)

I went there at 2 am on a Saturday night... :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L.J)
    :confused: There are 24 hour pharmacies.

(I know this for sure, I once went to one to buy hair extensions at 11pm )
    There are, but apparently not at Cambridge. I know this because I asked at the hospital.

ReputationRep:
    grrr so annoyed, I was on for about a 1:55.0 -> 1:55.5 average split for 10k...which would have meant I would have pushed at least half a second closer to my fellow squad members, but my arm seized up with a horrid cramp with about 2300m to go, and my split just died....I was struggling to keep it under 2 mins. Ended up with 1:56.0. That's still a PB, but it's so annoying, I really want to get up to a point in the squad where I am happy and feel confident about my selection chances. At the moment I still consider myself borderline, and I don't like thinking about being binned as a realistic possibility.....damn it!

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.