Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I sense that this type of thread has probably been done to death, but this is more like a rant for me- and perhaps to see if anyone else is in the same situation/can provide me with a positive experience they've had?

I graduated two years ago this summer, with a 2.1. Since then I have worked in two different admin/reception type roles, just to earn money/be working. They both have actually paid well considering most of the time I am just sat around surfing the internet, but this is honestly becoming so tedious and mind-numblingly dull I feel I can't take it any more.

I search for jobs constantly- I know exactly how to search for and apply for jobs- but I just simply cannot seem to find any graduate/entry level jobs that interest me/I am qualified for/I can see myself doing long-term. I recently got to the final stage of a graduate job I would have really liked to have, but was unsuccessful I don't want to just take any old job for the sake of it (e.g. recruitment or the likes).

Is anybody else in the same predicament? How long did it take you to find a job you genuinely enjoy and take pride in? I'm sick of just being 'the receptionist' or 'admin girl' when I feel I am capable of so much more.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by lilac-lavender)
    I sense that this type of thread has probably been done to death, but this is more like a rant for me- and perhaps to see if anyone else is in the same situation/can provide me with a positive experience they've had?

I graduated two years ago this summer, with a 2.1. Since then I have worked in two different admin/reception type roles, just to earn money/be working. They both have actually paid well considering most of the time I am just sat around surfing the internet, but this is honestly becoming so tedious and mind-numblingly dull I feel I can't take it any more.

I search for jobs constantly- I know exactly how to search for and apply for jobs- but I just simply cannot seem to find any graduate/entry level jobs that interest me/I am qualified for/I can see myself doing long-term. I recently got to the final stage of a graduate job I would have really liked to have, but was unsuccessful I don't want to just take any old job for the sake of it (e.g. recruitment or the likes).

Is anybody else in the same predicament? How long did it take you to find a job you genuinely enjoy and take pride in? I'm sick of just being 'the receptionist' or 'admin girl' when I feel I am capable of so much more.
    I am in a similar position. I too have graduated 2 years ago this summer but with an average grade like most graduates.
    Since then I have been in multiple temp jobs and have finally found a permanent job and its all in the same type of work - Office Admin.

But I'm not even complaining now because I earn way above National Minimum Wage and as you can see, in other threads most people are not so lucky in finding a job even after graduation. My sister's in law's daughter (who graduated the year before) eventually found a job after nearly 2 years of searching, but is now working in a warehouse on National Minimum Wage. She has NEVER worked in her life.

Basically look at this way; count yourself lucky to have been in jobs, some people aren't obviously so lucky to be in employment and never give up!

May I suggest in creating a LinkedIn profile? It has helped me so greatly when looking for jobs (in fact that was how I got my first job after graduation)!

Also what subject did you graduate in?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boreism)
    I am in a similar position. I too have graduated 2 years ago this summer but with an average grade like most graduates.
    Since then I have been in multiple temp jobs and have finally found a permanent job and its all in the same type of work - Office Admin.

But I'm not even complaining now because I earn way above National Minimum Wage and as you can see, in other threads most people are not so lucky in finding a job even after graduation. My sister's in law's daughter (who graduated the year before) eventually found a job after nearly 2 years of searching, but is now working in a warehouse on National Minimum Wage. She has NEVER worked in her life.

Basically look at this way; count yourself lucky to have been in jobs, some people aren't obviously so lucky to be in employment and never give up!

May I suggest in creating a LinkedIn profile? It has helped me so greatly when looking for jobs (in fact that was how I got my first job after graduation)!

Also what subject did you graduate in?
    Hey Boreism,I too am being paid over average wage but do you not ever feel that you want to do more than just admin? Especially after going to university. If I wanted an admin role realistically I could have just started in a basic role straight after school (even though most of these jobs do seem to only hire graduates!)

For me it's gotten to the point where I would definitely take a pay decrease to get myself on a career ladder and in a job where I actually felt some satisfaction .

Thanks for the advice though. I think I'll set up a linked in! And my degree was in psychology.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Hey Boreism,I too am being paid over average wage but do you not ever feel that you want to do more than just admin? Especially after going to university. If I wanted an admin role realistically I could have just started in a basic role straight after school (even though most of these jobs do seem to only hire graduates!)

For me it's gotten to the point where I would definitely take a pay decrease to get myself on a career ladder and in a job where I actually felt some satisfaction .

Thanks for the advice though. I think I'll set up a linked in! And my degree was in psychology.
    You are similar to me then, Health and Social Care! Which university did you graduate from?

The only realistic (reality) target after graduation is really finding A job not THE job that you have always dreamed of doing (even the one you dreamed of during university). It certainly doesn't help when employers look for that one thing that most graduates won't have on their CV's - EXPERIENCE (which still cannot be obtained due to this requirement).
    After all as the saying goes, we all need to start somewhere (and pay those never ending bills!) Yes I made the adult decision to move away from home.

ReputationRep:

Maybe its worth taking one of those career tests to see if anything comes up that you hadn't thought of? Or see if there is any way to get qualified for the jobs you say you aren't qualified for.

ReputationRep:
    I search for jobs constantly- I know exactly how to search for and apply for jobs- but I just simply cannot seem to find any graduate/entry level jobs that interest me/I am qualified for/I can see myself doing long-term. I recently got to the final stage of a graduate job I would have really liked to have, but was unsuccessful I don't want to just take any old job for the sake of it (e.g. recruitment or the likes)

It is this indifference which will be the main thing holding you back. Organisations want highly motivated people - this is the major contributor to someone being successful in a job and even if they are lacking in some areas, their drive/motivation makes it more possible to train/develop them. Its like the old "you can lead a horse to water" saying.

I think you need to work out what would interest you. Then work out what qualifications you might (or might not) need for it.

I suspect there are similar roles out there to the graduate job you would have really liked. Just because you were unsuccessful with one organisation, doesn't mean you will be with the next similar one.

ReputationRep:
    I am in the same position. I've been looking for jobs for 1 1/2 years and not been able to secure one. I worked in retail for a year and left it a few months ago because it just was not for me ,and I didn't get along with the staff. I've tried applying for internships and can't even get that. I went in a work development course hoping it would build my work skills, however, that didn't do anything either.

ReputationRep:

I had a bit of time to think about what I wanted to do in my last year of Uni. I started listing and brain storming ideas of what I might like to do. This was anything from Social Media PR to fitness training to teaching abroad. For every job I looked at made a section in a folder. I applied to places for information, I visited offices/companies asking for advice, I took small weekend courses. As quickly as I crossed ideas off the list I added new ideas.

Within a few months I found my perfect job. For everything I looked at needed something such as a qualification, internship, experience, etc so once I settled on one I went about what I needed. I found my perfect job 18 months after that with great experiences on the way. I have been doing what I feel is my perfect job for 3 years now.

ReputationRep:
    Yes I think worryingly (is that a word? it is now) there are many people in the same position. Does your uni do a job fair? I know that the one I went to (Leicester Uni) does and I'm pretty sure they let graduates attend so why not see if they have one going on? I'm sure a weekend back at your old uni would be a nice experience as well. Jazz up your CV and give it a try? You can just chat to different employers and see what kinds of work they do, what they're expecting from graduates and what you'd be expected to do in the job. Even if you come away having not given any CVs out, it might give you some idea of what you'd like to do so you can research further?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.