Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've never yet had a job as a psychologist or assistant psychologist, which leads me to wonder, what was the point?

ReputationRep:
    How long ago did you graduate? Your uni employment support service will help you up to two years (I think it is).

Try to get your foot in the door of the sector you wish to pursue a career in and you should rise through the ranks fairly swiftly with 1st degree.

ReputationRep:
    What jobs have you applied for and how many? Have you had any interviews? What other experience do you have?

I graduated with a 2:1 and had 4 years experience as a support worker, I didn't start getting interviews properly (and an Assistant Psychologist post) until I completed my masters. It isn't an easy career to progress in. While a first is a great thing to have and puts you to the top of shortlisting piles, it isn't a free pass to a job.

ReputationRep:
    I have a MRes Psychology too, but I've since realised I don't want to be a psychologist.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure what your question is. Are you lamenting the fact that you pursued Psychology academically and now don't wish to be a Psychologist? Or are you questioning the value of Psychology as a degree in terms of getting other jobs?

If you don't want to be a Psychologist, then it doesn't matter whether you have worked as an Assistant or not. What career do you want?

ReputationRep:
    Lamenting it, it's a pointless degree unless you want to be a psychologist, and I was BPS best student. I wanted to be one then I thought a social worker is the same so I wasted three years for nothing. But most degrees are pointless.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamesManc)
    Lamenting it, it's a pointless degree unless you want to be a psychologist, and I was BPS best student. I wanted to be one then I thought a social worker is the same so I wasted three years for nothing. But most degrees are pointless.
    You're deluded

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Exceptional)
    You're deluded
    You can't expect anything more than that from a disillusioned psychology graduate

ReputationRep:
    I have a MRes Psychology too, but I've since realised I don't want to be a psychologist.
    What is the question that you want us to answer?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trapz99)
    What is the question that you want us to answer?
    He wants people to affirm what he already knew ^^

ReputationRep:
    Yea, your degree is kind of pointless at present as you have no idea of what you want to do with it. A psychology degree opens doors into a wide range of career sectors. Explore them... or while away the time expressing woefully how unjust life is that your first degree does not provide you with direction.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.