Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm currently a first year mathematics student who is considering becoming a secondary teacher when I graduate. I am aware that if you become a teacher you have to be wary of what you put on the internet and so I was wondering if you could tell me your opinions on whether or not the following would be acceptable:

Myself and my friends enjoy playing music and singing in our free time and have been told we're pretty good at it. They suggested the idea of making a few song medleys on Youtube, which would likely involve casual Cosplay. This is something I would really like to get involved with and there would be nothing rude in them however I'm not sure whether this would be frowned upon by future employers...

What are your thoughts on this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DestinySky)
    Hi,

I'm currently a first year mathematics student who is considering becoming a secondary teacher when I graduate. I am aware that if you become a teacher you have to be wary of what you put on the internet and so I was wondering if you could tell me your opinions on whether or not the following would be acceptable:

Myself and my friends enjoy playing music and singing in our free time and have been told we're pretty good at it. They suggested the idea of making a few song medleys on Youtube, which would likely involve casual Cosplay. This is something I would really like to get involved with and there would be nothing rude in them however I'm not sure whether this would be frowned upon by future employers...

What are your thoughts on this?
    I don't think that there would be a problem with videos of you singing and cosplay would be an issue, so long as you were wearing a reasonable amount of clothes.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If there's nothing inappropriate about the videos, I don't think this is a major issue.

I suggest you avoid having your name associated with the videos in any way, to make it harder for employers/pupils to come across them in the first place.

But you have to be prepared for the fact that they might come across these videos and make comments. If they don't bother you and you're able to laugh it off, it shouldn't be a problem at all, but some people feel very uncomfortable at the thought of pupils knowing anything about their life outside of school.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with the above and well done you for thinking about it before (rather than after).
    It would show your versatility and further down the line, you'll probably find yourself helping with the school productions... !
    But I definitely agree with not linking your name to it, just to keep a little bit of distance.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you all for the advice, there would definitely be appropriate levels of clothing for the cosplay and I agree with not having my name in any videos, that seems pretty sensible

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.