Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi

This is rather a niche area but I thought I'd check on here is anyone has any experience of this type of course. I'm looking at similar courses at Bath (
    Conservation of Historic Buildings), Oxford Brookes (Historic Conservation) and York (Conservation Studies - historic buildings).

Does anyone have any experience of these courses or similar at a different university?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    There was an older thread on the same topic. Out of your aforementioned unis, York Conservation Studies received excellent review.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the reply. I'll try to find that older thread for more information.

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I have accepted the Oxford Brookes course for Historic Conservation as the course content was relevant to what I want to do and the practical element was a bonus. Don't know if that helps but good luck in whatever you choose.

J

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jayaurelio)
    Hi

I have accepted the Oxford Brookes course for Historic Conservation as the course content was relevant to what I want to do and the practical element was a bonus. Don't know if that helps but good luck in whatever you choose.

J
    Thanks for the reply. Do you mind me asking what you are aiming to get out of the course/career intentions? Also, have you worked in the building conservation field already?

I'm approaching this purely from the background as a historian quite a few years after graduation with little history of art/architectural knowledge. I'm looking to make a change into a more practical career that will contribute to the protection of our heritage rather than just continuing in the unrelated field I'm currently working in.

Good luck on the course.

ReputationRep:
    Sure, I am currently working for a heritage organistation and have been for the past few years. I am hoping to either progress within my company or work within consultancy/local authority in a conservation related role. I will be doing this part time as I will still need to work, obviously its a big financial commitment so I am hoping it will work out!

I probably would not have considered studying for a MSc a few years ago but my interest in the subject has grown and i realise that I would probably need the technical knowledge to progress within the field. I know the course is accredited so i think that would help when looking for work a being accredited seems to be important these days. I hope that helps? have you decided upon a specific course?

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

I seem to be in a similar position as you Historic. I have an ancient history degree and want to get into the more practical side of things.

I have been looking at Kingston for the MSc Historic Building Conservation course - does anyone know if this is as good/equal to the ones above? (York, Bath etc.)
    It is accredited by RICS and IHBC, however I have heard varying reports about the university itself.

Can anyone advise?

Cheers
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    (Original post by nighters123)
    Hi everyone,

I seem to be in a similar position as you Historic. I have an ancient history degree and want to get into the more practical side of things.

I have been looking at Kingston for the MSc Historic Building Conservation course - does anyone know if this is as good/equal to the ones above? (York, Bath etc.)
    It is accredited by RICS and IHBC, however I have heard varying reports about the university itself.

Can anyone advise?

Cheers
    Hi nighters123,

Great to hear you're looking at applying to Kingston. We have a Postgraduate fair coming up soon, would this be something you're interested in? Please let me know if there is anything I can help with.

Chloe
    Student Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I would avoid this course altogether (if considering Oxford Brookes), particularly if returning to academia as a part time working (mature) student. The course (despite its initial part-time friendly appearance) is very much geared towards those who are a) continuing from undergraduate studies or b) being sponsored by an employer. As most of the field trips took place on Tuesdays or Wednesdays, I missed out (Mondays were reserved for lectures and I was not in a position to further reduce my working week to three days!)
    Furthermore, the awarding process is unfair. Eg they are prepared to award a Pass basically to anybody who completes the dissertation -appearance (or lack thereof) at lectures appears to not matter.
    Overall I feel that the £7k I paid for this course was a waste of money. Yes, I can write 'MSc' after my name on work emails, however I don't feel that I came away with any real technical conservation knowledge or expertise.....other than the fact that all historic buildings must be repaired with lime based mortars. Professionally, I have not progressed at all. That said, if you want to do something for personal enjoyment (but nothing else) then this course is probably ideal. Hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jennycampbell851)
    Hi,

I would avoid this course altogether (if considering Oxford Brookes), particularly if returning to academia as a part time working (mature) student. The course (despite its initial part-time friendly appearance) is very much geared towards those who are a) continuing from undergraduate studies or b) being sponsored by an employer. As most of the field trips took place on Tuesdays or Wednesdays, I missed out (Mondays were reserved for lectures and I was not in a position to further reduce my working week to three days!)
    Furthermore, the awarding process is unfair. Eg they are prepared to award a Pass basically to anybody who completes the dissertation -appearance (or lack thereof) at lectures appears to not matter.
    Overall I feel that the £7k I paid for this course was a waste of money. Yes, I can write 'MSc' after my name on work emails, however I don't feel that I came away with any real technical conservation knowledge or expertise.....other than the fact that all historic buildings must be repaired with lime based mortars. Professionally, I have not progressed at all. That said, if you want to do something for personal enjoyment (but nothing else) then this course is probably ideal. Hope this helps!
    PS You are expected to pay extra for any field trips you do attend -and attendance is compulsory if you are a full time student. The fee for these trips is not included in the fee you sign up to pay!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.