Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I've confirmed my offer to start the Law M100 course in September, I'm wondering if there's anybody else on here starting the course? Or anybody else that's currently studying the course that could tell me anything about it, if your enjoying it? How you are finding it in terms of teaching and how your schedule is? Also I'm looking to find out how i will be assessed during first year, is it exams based or assignments? If there is exams when are these usually? Sorry for the lengthy post, I have emailed the uni directly but had no response.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by nicolej95)
    Hi, I've confirmed my offer to start the Law M100 course in September, I'm wondering if there's anybody else on here starting the course? Or anybody else that's currently studying the course that could tell me anything about it, if your enjoying it? How you are finding it in terms of teaching and how your schedule is? Also I'm looking to find out how i will be assessed during first year, is it exams based or assignments? If there is exams when are these usually? Sorry for the lengthy post, I have emailed the uni directly but had no response.
    Hey Nicole,

We've been chatting to one of our LLB Law students, Grant, who has provided the following information for you:

~ Schedule ~
    In first year, contact time was around 16-18 hours although as we've progressed through the degree, the time has narrowed down to 12 hours. As you develop through the course, you also develop into an independent person and learn to study in your own time. The perk of having less contact time is it allows not only more time for private reading and assignments, but more time for what you actually want to do, whether that be social events, taking part in societies or exploring Sheffield.

~ Assessments ~
    The way the course works, you are expected to study 6 modules per year, each with two assignments. In first year when I was there, I got 2 modules I got to choose myself, although this may have changed. Of the 6 modules, I studied in first year, one was a portfolio throughout the year as an assessment, I had 4 exams (this could be higher depending on the elective module you select) and one piece of coursework. The first year set-up is there to really help you develop the ability to work under time constraints so that when the topics get more difficult in second and third year, you will feel prepared for those more difficult modules. The assessment type is really module dependent and all of the CORE modules (Land, Equity, Criminal, Contract, Tort, EU) are a piece of coursework in December or early January hand-in and an exam in early to mid-May. In my final year, I had a choice of four elective modules, which meant I had 5 pieces of coursework in Dec-Jan and 4 exams, a piece of coursework and a practical assessment between April-May.The university is now offering more than one practical module in your final year which is a brilliant opportunity to develop the practical skills that can accompany your degree.
    In exams, you are expected to be able to find the law, apply the law to a scenario and advise a client usually. However certain exams have essay style questions which allow you to really show off your analysis skills.

~ Times ~
    There are breaks in the timetables on purpose to allow for private studying. As mentioned above, contact time is around 12 hours in second and third year. You may be in 4 days a week for 3 hours or 4-5 days for a range of hours between 2-4 a day. It is really dependent on the timetabling at the start of the semester. Timetables usually change in January as there are always improvements the can be made. Sometimes you will have 9am starts however these are not too common.

~ Teaching ~
    What makes Hallam stand out is that they take students from any academic background and develop them into outstanding graduates or in our case, lawyers. You are assigned a personal mentor at the start of each year who usually teaches you as well, so you do get the contact time. Teachers are incentivised with teaching awards from the university each year. There are different teaching styles which can take some getting used to, but you can look at this in a positive vain by developing skills in tailoring your reading to certain styles of teaching.

~ Experience/Other ~
    Having classes in the moot court for the Advocacy and Mooting module really opened my eyes as to what I could do in the real world.The new Heart of the Campus building was a welcome edition, and is only 18 months old.The university as a whole is currently undergoing a lot of renovation and receiving a lot of investment, which shows that those at the top really want to create the most outstanding facilities possible for students across the board. Having the library open 24/7 has been really useful for me, who cannot do work at home. I have done plenty of all-nighters in there over the last three years. I work as an ambassador on open days and a lot of studentscome to Sheffield who are interested in sports. Hallam delivers on that with an endless number of societies to choose form as well as our varsity event, where it is Hallam vs University of Sheffield across a broad spectrum of sports and other activities.

Sheffield boasts a very good nightlife and even the area of Collegiate Campus, where law is based, is surrounding by greenery, plenty of shops and food outlets and student bars. The union runs even in the city centre. Having two campuses has provided overwhelming convenience to me i.e I can use both libraries for example however your classes are always kept in one place. I hope you will enjoy your time at Sheffield Hallam, I know that I have and the last 3 years has flown by.

.... we hope that's helpful!

Laura & Hannah
    (Official Hallam reps)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.