Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is this enough money to live on/what is your weekly budget like? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

I'm currently at college doing my A-levels and am due to start a midwifery course at a London university in September. I've just heard back from NHS bursaries with my entitlement and it isn't nearly as much as their estimate calculator said I could possibly get and they're seemingly thinking my parents are going to give me an extra £900 a year, which they can't do. Adding my entitlement to the maintenance loan and then taking out accommodation fees will leave me with just over £40 a week. This will need to pay for my food, travel to and from my accommodation and uni, travel to and from my accommodation and clinical placements and any extras such as textbooks or emergencies. I can apply to get 30% off travel and some travel fees may be able to be reimbursed by the uni but i'm a little worried that this isn't going to do-able, what with living in London and travel fares being so expensive. So i guess my question is, with all of this taken into account, do you think this is enough money for me to live on? Thanks.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Not in London, I would find that enough but I m not sure about London.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely not in London
    Travel each week even with the 30% off will probably be almost half of that £40
    why don't you get a job this summer and save up?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jawsontheflooor)
    Definitely not in London
    Travel each week even with the 30% off will probably be almost half of that £40
    why don't you get a job this summer and save up?
    I was planning on getting a summer job as soon as possible after my exams are finished, and I guess as a rough estimate of wages and hours I could potentially take that amount up to about £60-£70, or more than that, a week. Would that be more do-able? How much do you think I would realistically need?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chloe525_X)
    I was planning on getting a summer job as soon as possible after my exams are finished, and I guess as a rough estimate of wages and hours I could potentially take that amount up to about £60-£70, or more than that, a week. Would that be more do-able? How much do you think I would realistically need?
    This sounds good for sure much more doable
    make sure you stick to a budget, plan meals ahead for the week and take advantage of student deal sites e.g. student beans

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jawsontheflooor)
    This sounds good for sure much more doable
    make sure you stick to a budget, plan meals ahead for the week and take advantage of student deal sites e.g. student beans
    Ok, I will do. Thank you for your help and advice
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Does that include the long course loan, if your course is over 30 weeks and 3 days?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.