Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So I got rejected from Edinburgh uni in October. I got rejected two days after I had sent my application away and I was really upset because it was my first choice and my parents had kind of brought me up with Edinburgh uni being my aim in life. It sounds stupid now but I was desperate to go and was downright angry I hadn't gotten in as I had my the conditions for my course and had got my application in relatively early. I didn't tell my parents about the rejection for three months because I was so angry at myself.

I had a number of other stressful life events throughout the following months. I failed a higher Italian speaking assesment, I lost a lot of weight very quickly, I had mixed results in my prelims and I finally got rejected from St. Andrews a few days before christmas. I had a very heavy workload (i signed on for a lot of activities like a prom fashion show, prefect duties, various groups and programmes within my school) and so I wasn't really paying attention to my cycle but by January I hadn't seen my period for three months. I finally had it in late February but since then my cycle has been very out of order. I use a period tracking app and my period hasn't been truly normal since September. I just got my period a few days ago for the first time since February and I'm looking to get it properly back on track now that school is over and I've finally gotten uni sorted out.

Looking back I was very panicked over the university situation as I didn't hear from any others until late March. I heard from both Glasgow (my second choice) and Stirling on the day of my advanced higher French final speaking exam. I was panicking for months on end about getting in and I stopped eating regularly from stress and my weight began to fluctuate. I'm wondering if there's anyway to get my cycle sorted out naturally (I've had bad experience with pills in the past) and if the madness of my cycle is really due to stress? Anyone else had a wild period schedule due to stress?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TinyPhasma)
    X
    I've not had dodgy periods due to stress, but before I started using the patch they were all over the place. Some months were 20 days, others were 35 or 40. Once I had a 50-day gap! However I never really had a routine as such because it was so all over the place, so I didn't see short or long gaps as anything unusual. When my periods first started, however, they were very heavy and gradually got lighter as my body adjusted to them, so I'd suggest that things can always change, no matter what you're used to.

Sorry if that doesn't help, but to me I don't think you have anything to worry about.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by TinyPhasma)
    So I got rejected from Edinburgh uni in October. I got rejected two days after I had sent my application away and I was really upset because it was my first choice and my parents had kind of brought me up with Edinburgh uni being my aim in life. It sounds stupid now but I was desperate to go and was downright angry I hadn't gotten in as I had my the conditions for my course and had got my application in relatively early. I didn't tell my parents about the rejection for three months because I was so angry at myself.

I had a number of other stressful life events throughout the following months. I failed a higher Italian speaking assesment, I lost a lot of weight very quickly, I had mixed results in my prelims and I finally got rejected from St. Andrews a few days before christmas. I had a very heavy workload (i signed on for a lot of activities like a prom fashion show, prefect duties, various groups and programmes within my school) and so I wasn't really paying attention to my cycle but by January I hadn't seen my period for three months. I finally had it in late February but since then my cycle has been very out of order. I use a period tracking app and my period hasn't been truly normal since September. I just got my period a few days ago for the first time since February and I'm looking to get it properly back on track now that school is over and I've finally gotten uni sorted out.

Looking back I was very panicked over the university situation as I didn't hear from any others until late March. I heard from both Glasgow (my second choice) and Stirling on the day of my advanced higher French final speaking exam. I was panicking for months on end about getting in and I stopped eating regularly from stress and my weight began to fluctuate. I'm wondering if there's anyway to get my cycle sorted out naturally (I've had bad experience with pills in the past) and if the madness of my cycle is really due to stress? Anyone else had a wild period schedule due to stress?
    Various things including stress can mess with periods. I'd expect what you are experiencing is probably normal especially if it has improved now but you may want to check with a doctor to be safe. Maybe wait until next month or whenever you would expect your next period after this one and then if it is also late make an appointment. I was concerned about very irregular periods and was told (by a nurse I think) that the real concern is if it had been 5 months and anything up to that point is probably fine.

I am not medically trained and all my knowledge is from my own experience or things I have heard so if you are still concerned check with somebody professional (111 or a pharmacist if you don't want to see a doctor right away)

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 19, 2016
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.