Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I got rejected from st Andrews and Edinburgh. Edinburgh rejected me two days after I sent my application away and St. Andrews rejected me a few days before Christmas. I didn't hear from Glasgow (my second choice) and Stirling until late March and by that point I was genuinely freaking out over not getting in anywhere.

How did a uni rejection make you feel? For me I felt very angry at myself because I had the grades to get in and my personal statement was strong but I must've just been less impressive compared to other candidates. I was furious at myself and I didn't tell my parents about the rejections until January because I was so afraid of them being disappointed in me. I cried after the st Andrews rejection I won't lie. I didn't even want to go that badly (Glasgow was my second choice after Edinburgh) but I just felt useless.

Anyone else get rejected? How did it make you feel? Are you still angry/sad/annoyed or are you satisfied now?

ReputationRep:
    Why did you think about it almost 5 months later?

ReputationRep:
    Well, I got rejected 2 weeks after an interview and I was really upset because that was my solid choice. I didn't cry, but I was really upset. ( More upset than angry) and took me like a week to get over it. It's completely fine now because I found a better uni for my course

ReputationRep:
    same as you tbh, beat myself up over the fact I didnt try harder. Was really upset tbh.

ReputationRep:
    Your post made me sad. Did you get accepted to Glasgow and Stirling? Do you believe in fate? I'm not even kidding. I've seen that life sometimes takes us where we're supposed to be. I truly hope (and believe) that this time next year you will feel that you ended up going to the university that was exactly where you were supposed to be - you just can't see it now. Rejection always hurts let's be honest. It most likely wasn't anything personal and probably nothing you could have done differently because as you said you had the grades and a strong personal statement. It was probably a numbers game for the uni. Just make sure where ever you end up to get involved. I'm am sorry this happened to you but think of it as life taking you to just the right place that you were meant to be and would have missed otherwise. Good Luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M14B)
    Why did you think about it almost 5 months later?
    Meh I was having a conversation with friends a few days ago about unis and I started reflecting on my uni journey I guess. My friend has a conditional for Edinburgh but plans on going to Glasgow if he doesn't get it and told me he'd actually prefer Glasgow in many ways because we get such a great vibe from the city. Im hoping to be studying politics with French and Glasgow gets a great reputation for politics (many of Scotland's politicians studied there, including Nicola sturgeon!) and the languages department looked incredible when I visited. I'm happier with Glasgow now and I just wish I could go back and tell myself five months ago that everything would work out, just not in the way I was expecting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hopefully1)
    Your post made me sad. Did you get accepted to Glasgow and Stirling? Do you believe in fate? I'm not even kidding. I've seen that life sometimes takes us where we're supposed to be. I truly hope (and believe) that this time next year you will feel that you ended up going to the university that was exactly where you were supposed to be - you just can't see it now. Rejection always hurts let's be honest. It most likely wasn't anything personal and probably nothing you could have done differently because as you said you had the grades and a strong personal statement. It was probably a numbers game for the uni. Just make sure where ever you end up to get involved. I'm am sorry this happened to you but think of it as life taking you to just the right place that you were meant to be and would have missed otherwise. Good Luck!

Haha! Don't worry I'm much happier with Glasgow as it turns out! Everything happens for a reason and my conditions seem relitively easy and are within my predicted grades so I'm satisfied. As I said in another reply I want to study politics with French and Glasgow may actually turn out to be a better uni because it's such a hotspot for politics and my year abroad options there (one of the main reasons for me selecting this degree) look a lot better than they did at Glasgow. I got a great vibe from Glasgow whereas I felt intimidated at Edinburgh and St. Andrews. I'm from a very working class background and I felt a little out of place in those universities and at Glasgow I felt right at home and could get right into talking with students. I have an unconditional for Stirling so ive got a solid backup at another uni I felt comfortable at too. Again, Stirling also offers study abroad options and so I'm happy enough (I'd love to get into a Russell group university though)

My mum said exactly your words about fate after I got rejected from St. Andrews. Everything does happen for a reason and honestly the rejections don't bother me so much anymore. I know others in the same position as me and I think Edinburgh and st Andrews had very high numbers of applicants this year and so it came down to the creme de la creme. I'm not beating myself up over it any more

Thank you so much for your kind words!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.