Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Name:  2016-05-18.png
Views: 162
Size:  25.8 KB
    for part B, i expanded (x-2)(x-(5-2i))(x-(5+2i)) and got many terms, but managed to get the right answer. I am wondering if i can do this in the exam and still get full marks for this question?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alesha98)
    for part B, i expanded (x-2)(x-(5-2i))(x-(5+2i)) and got many terms, but managed to get the right answer. I am wondering if i can do this in the exam and still get full marks for this question?
    Yes, of course.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I believe that is a valid way of solving this and should still get you full marks.

(x - 2)(x - (5 - 2i))(x - (5 + 2i)) = 0

(x - 2)(x^2 - x(5 - 2i) - x(5 + 2i) + (5 - 2i)(5 + 2i)) = 0

(x - 2)(x^2 - 10x + 29) = 0

x^3 - 10x^2 + 29x - 2x^2 + 20x - 58 = 0

x^3 - 12x^2 + 49x - 58 = 0

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    Yes, of course.
    But in the mark scheme, it expanded (x-(5-2i))(x-(5+2i)) first. But i expanded (x-2)(x-(5-2i)) first, and would i lose a mark because there is a mark for the (3 terms quadratic equation )(x-2) ?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    But in the mark scheme, it expanded (x-(5-2i))(x-(5+2i)) first. But i expanded (x-2)(x-(5-2i)) first, and would i lose a mark because there is a mark for the (3 terms quadratic equation )(x-2) ?
    Depends what the letter next to the marks value was, if it was an M mark you could well still get it. If it was an A mark or D (I think, could be S or E?) you wouldn't get it. That would be for edexcel at any rate.

ReputationRep:
    No, of course not...

(x-2)(x-(5-2i)) is still going to result in a quadratic. Nobody cares about the order you expand things in.

ReputationRep:
    No, of course not...

(x-2)(x-(5-2i)) is still going to result in a quadratic. Nobody cares about the order you expand things in.
    Thankyou so much, i dont want to lose any silly marks ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by natninja)
    Depends what the letter next to the marks value was, if it was an M mark you could well still get it. If it was an A mark or D (I think, could be S or E?) you wouldn't get it. That would be for edexcel at any rate.
    ok thankyou, it is a M
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    ok thankyou, it is a M
    Should be fine then, the mark should in theory be for expanding it out whichever way (though there is a possibility that it is for noting that an expansion by doing the complex bits first is simpler...)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by natninja)
    (though there is a possibility that it is for noting that an expansion by doing the complex bits first is simpler...)
    Not so. Any valid mathematical method will earn credit. You are overestimating the rigidity of the markscheme.

ReputationRep:
    quicker approach:
    • Let us say you have a general quadratic x2 +bx+c where b2 -4c<0 & the quadratic's roots are α & β
    • then we know x2 +bx+c≡ (x-α )(x-β )
    • therefore, if expand (x-α )(x-β ) we get x2-(α+β)x+αβ now if you let α=λ+iμ then β=λ-iμ we can do this because the coefficients of quadratic are always real in fp1 therefore complex roots occur in pairs.
    • α+β=2λ and αβ=λ22
    • now we get to the important form: x2 +bx+c≡x2-2λx+(λ22)
    now let us apply this to your question; x=5±i2 therefore by using the form above the following quadratic x^2-10x+29 will give us these roots now we can say (x-2)(x2-10x+29)≡x3-12x2+cx+d then we compare coefficients for x0 & x and get d=-2*29=-58 & c=29+20=49 this took about 1.5min alot quicker then
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Not so. Any valid mathematical method will earn credit. You are overestimating the rigidity of the markscheme.
    I remember that when I did it 4 years ago there were 1-3 marks per paper that were for writing out a specific expression and that otherwise any method would be fine. I also remember that if you just wrote the answer you didn't get any method marks - that's the thing I like about university, if I write the correct answer I get full marks.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.