This discussion is closed.
gzftan
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by imasillynarb)
In my experience being a prop is all about just being heavy, dont need much muscle for that!
Lol...yeh..it is about being heavy..that's true...although i decided to go for the muscle route rather than the eat truck loads route.....

Having said that...i'm not actually that heavy for a prop...i'm only 11 1/2 stone...compare that to my friend who is 15 stone.....and we have about equal driving ability in scrums....

G
Barny
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by [email protected])
You dont even need to be heavy, the scrums all about technique and practice and the lineouts more about coordinating with the jumper and having sufficient upper body strength to lift the jumper 15 times a game....fitness is ten times more important for a prop than weight....
Yeh, but for the actual scrum...

Have you ever tried lifting someones whos heavier than you off of you? I have so much more muscle than my brother, yet the fact that hes 2 stone heavier means that as soon as he lays on me Im totally stuck
gzftan
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by [email protected])
You dont even need to be heavy, the scrums all about technique and practice and the lineouts more about coordinating with the jumper and having sufficient upper body strength to lift the jumper 15 times a game....fitness is ten times more important for a prop than weight....
Yeah..i think that's a better way of looking at it. The backs have it easy....the amount of effort you need to put into scrums and lifting repeatedly throughout the match...not to mention still having to do everything else forwards do in a match like rucking and mauling. Front rowing is damned hard work!!!

G
gzftan
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by imasillynarb)
Yeh, but for the actual scrum...

Have you ever tried lifting someones whos heavier than you off of you? I have so much more muscle than my brother, yet the fact that hes 2 stone heavier means that as soon as he lays on me Im totally stuck
I see your point...but me being short...it's very easy for me to just get underneath my opposite number in the scrums....which means i have the advantage and can push them back. Techinque is very important.

G
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your firm and insurance uni choices yet?

Yes (98)
53.85%
Yes, but I want to swap them (14)
7.69%
No, but I know who I want to choose (18)
9.89%
No, I still don't know who I want to choose (45)
24.73%
I have decided I don't want to go to uni anymore and will not be choosing (7)
3.85%

Watched Threads