Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    What Pure modules will I need to study M2-M6? Is it just M3 uses P1-3, M4 uses P1-4, M5 uses P1-5 etc...? Or can you do M5 without P5 for example?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mik1a)
    What Pure modules will I need to study M2-M6? Is it just M3 uses P1-3, M4 uses P1-4, M5 uses P1-5 etc...? Or can you do M5 without P5 for example?
    which board are you doing, cos I remember looking at the specifications for the OCR MEI, it usually tells you, I do remember for the earlier modules that say S1, assumed knowledge of P1 etc....and like M5 required knowledge from M1-M4 etc..., easiest to check from specifications

ReputationRep:
    Edexcel. I don't remember them mentioning prerequisites on their specification (I've read it enough times)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mik1a)
    Edexcel. I don't remember them mentioning prerequisites on their specification (I've read it enough times)
    In the specification I have (specification_25620.pdf) before the Specification content for each module there is a 'Prerequisite' section.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by capslock)
    In the specification I have (specification_25620.pdf) before the Specification content for each module there is a 'Prerequisite' section.
    Ok thanks, must have missed it.

ReputationRep:
    For Edexcel. I've never read higher than M3 but I'd guess you'd at least need P5 as there are differential equations, polar coordinates (P4) and intrinsic coordinates (P5). Numerical solutions to differential equations (P6) might be handy. I can't think where you'd need much else in P6. So make sure you at least know P5.
    On a side note. In D2 there are appendicies at the back telling you how to use matricies to solve some stuff but I don't think they'd expect you to have done P6 if only doing D2 hence only giving them as alternative methods.

ReputationRep:
    I checked the (new) specification, M5, the new highest mechanics only required FP1, the equivalent to P4. So I guess I'm fine.

Thanks for your help.

ReputationRep:
    For M5 your fine with up to P4, but if you want to do M6 you need P5.

ReputationRep:
    well, I suggest u do P6 if you're going up to M6, you'll gain more experience....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toxi)
    well, I suggest u do P6 if you're going up to M6, you'll gain more experience....
    It would be good to do P6 for the experience, but the maths is not required for M6.

ReputationRep:
    If you look at M5 Edexcel, you'll see that it requires some P6 understanding, in the form of determinants (matrices) and vectors, so i'm guessing M6 definitely would require P6.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Callum10)
    If you look at M5 Edexcel, you'll see that it requires some P6 understanding, in the form of determinants (matrices) and vectors, so i'm guessing M6 definitely would require P6.
    Ahh yes i forgot about that. However the only P6 required in mechanics (for the vector cross product) is the first part of the matricies chapter, on what a matrix is, and how to find the determinant (very easy). So you dont really need to do P6 for the mechanics.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 4, 2004
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.