Turn on thread page Beta

AQA GEOG2 AS LEVEL EXAM 20th MAY 2016 PREDICTIONS watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi does anyone have any predictions for unit 2 (AQA) on Friday?

I think rivers instead of population is going to come up.

Last year there was (I think) either standard deviation or spermans rank as the first question... so would they really bring it back again this year?

And also there was a map question last year, so do yous think that will come up again? Personally I don't.

I think there is probably going to be a question on a hydrograph or Hjulstrom curve, but i don't know how they would bring that in (any suggestions?).

Also i think there might be something on GIS.

Does anyone think Interquartile range might come up? They might use that to talk about flooding or something like that but I'm not sure (+does anyone know where i can learn and do practice questions on this?)

What do you guys think, any predictions?

ReputationRep:
    Also does anyone have anything on triangulation (any questions and how to do them)?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hi Cat000,

I actually sat last year's exam and, quite spectacularly, I failed massively! Looking back on it now, I have no idea what I did wrong!

Last year was indeed Standard deviation, and Spearman's Rank did appear in 2013, so, it might be due for renewal. I have created a massive document overlooking all the skills that have been covered since 2013, in preparation for this re-sit, and I can send you it if you like.

I also think physical geography will come up, but I can not predict precisely what topic. Flooding does seem the most likely, but it came up in 2014, so it might be on storm hydrographs, water budget tables, river discharge, etc.

I think graphs are due to come up. There was not a single graph question last year, so it might likely appear. ICT might also appear, so for instance, 'how can the usage of ICT improve geographical understanding?' might crop up.

Basic statistical skills like mean, median, mode and as you mentioned, interquartile range, have not come up in a while, but these are quite easy to revise too.

I can't help you in terms of where to find resources to help with revision (some of the past papers don't have anything on the stuff that's likely to come up!) but for all statistical skills, I recommend just writing up a load of numbers and applying all your techniques. I did this quite recently with a Spearman's rank question, whereby I decided to conjure up some additional numbers, than do the question again - its all about practice for this exam.

http://geographyfieldwork.com/pdf/TriangularGraph.pdf - If you copy this in to the URL, it will give you a template for you to create your own questions on triangular graphs. I assume that's what you mean by triangulation, if not, please tell me and I will see what I can do.

As for the fieldwork questions, these are a lot easier to revise from. In short, advantages of fieldwork location, describing and justifying primary data collection, distinguishing qualitative and quantitiative data, and justifying an analysis technique all appeared last year. There was no mention of the theory behind your work or a conclusion or an evaluation. These are areas I strongly recommend going through. In addition, I would also practice your drawing skills. There was a 'sketch map' question in 2013, but I can't find one on a field sketch of an area of the river that you have studied (might be worth considering).

If you have any questions, please feel free to message me. This is my only as-level re-sit, so I'm hoping to do much better this time round!

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    anyone do sand dunes as their fieldwork?

ReputationRep:
    hi I'm re sitting this year as well and was just wondering if you could send me the document. it would be a huge help
    thank you
    (Original post by King Haribo)
    Hi Cat000,

I actually sat last year's exam and, quite spectacularly, I failed massively! Looking back on it now, I have no idea what I did wrong!

Last year was indeed Standard deviation, and Spearman's Rank did appear in 2013, so, it might be due for renewal. I have created a massive document overlooking all the skills that have been covered since 2013, in preparation for this re-sit, and I can send you it if you like.

I also think physical geography will come up, but I can not predict precisely what topic. Flooding does seem the most likely, but it came up in 2014, so it might be on storm hydrographs, water budget tables, river discharge, etc.

I think graphs are due to come up. There was not a single graph question last year, so it might likely appear. ICT might also appear, so for instance, 'how can the usage of ICT improve geographical understanding?' might crop up.

Basic statistical skills like mean, median, mode and as you mentioned, interquartile range, have not come up in a while, but these are quite easy to revise too.

I can't help you in terms of where to find resources to help with revision (some of the past papers don't have anything on the stuff that's likely to come up!) but for all statistical skills, I recommend just writing up a load of numbers and applying all your techniques. I did this quite recently with a Spearman's rank question, whereby I decided to conjure up some additional numbers, than do the question again - its all about practice for this exam.

http://geographyfieldwork.com/pdf/TriangularGraph.pdf - If you copy this in to the URL, it will give you a template for you to create your own questions on triangular graphs. I assume that's what you mean by triangulation, if not, please tell me and I will see what I can do.

As for the fieldwork questions, these are a lot easier to revise from. In short, advantages of fieldwork location, describing and justifying primary data collection, distinguishing qualitative and quantitiative data, and justifying an analysis technique all appeared last year. There was no mention of the theory behind your work or a conclusion or an evaluation. These are areas I strongly recommend going through. In addition, I would also practice your drawing skills. There was a 'sketch map' question in 2013, but I can't find one on a field sketch of an area of the river that you have studied (might be worth considering).

If you have any questions, please feel free to message me. This is my only as-level re-sit, so I'm hoping to do much better this time round!

Good luck!
    Hi Cat000,

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lydiax27x)
    hi I'm re sitting this year as well and was just wondering if you could send me the document. it would be a huge help
    thank you
    Hi Lydiax27,

Please find attached the document below. It goes through the skills examined, the questions involved with them, the investigation questions, as well as general notes I have made from the examiner's report from each paper. Also I have made a couple of predictions at the end of the document.

I hope it helps, and good luck!
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: docx GEOG2 Exam Analysis Document.docx (24.4 KB, 466 views)

ReputationRep:
    What do you mean by GIS?

(Original post by cat000)
    Hi does anyone have any predictions for unit 2 (AQA) on Friday?

I think rivers instead of population is going to come up.

Last year there was (I think) either standard deviation or spermans rank as the first question... so would they really bring it back again this year?

And also there was a map question last year, so do yous think that will come up again? Personally I don't.

I think there is probably going to be a question on a hydrograph or Hjulstrom curve, but i don't know how they would bring that in (any suggestions?).

Also i think there might be something on GIS.

Does anyone think Interquartile range might come up? They might use that to talk about flooding or something like that but I'm not sure (+does anyone know where i can learn and do practice questions on this?)

What do you guys think, any predictions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fawn11)
    What do you mean by GIS?
    Geographical Information Systems (GIS). Often used as a mapping tool

ReputationRep:
    Hi Lydiax27,

Please find attached the document below. It goes through the skills examined, the questions involved with them, the investigation questions, as well as general notes I have made from the examiner's report from each paper. Also I have made a couple of predictions at the end of the document.

I hope it helps, and good luck!
    Thank you so much

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lydiax27x)
    Thank you so much
    No problem. Good Luck!

ReputationRep:
    I did sandunes as part of my A2 fieldwork but I'm also using it for Geog2. We did an investigation into psammosere succession.

ReputationRep:
    How did everyone find the paper ?

ReputationRep:
    I thought the paper was miles better than last years! Much better paper.

There were a couple of odd questions thrown in there, but for the most part I was very happy.

Could think of hardly anything though on the very first question. Just mentioned contour lines and deposition, and that was about it! That 8-marker storm hydrograph question was fantastic...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Y50ndh)
    How did everyone find the paper ?
    I thought the paper was very good! Much better than last years...

I could think of hardly anything for the first couple of questions, but when that storm hydrograph question came into sight...I was in hyperdrive mode!

A couple of them were worded a bit funny, but nothing to much too worry about. How about you?

ReputationRep:
    What was the spearmans, rank and calculation and significance answer and how many marks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Geogmaster)
    What was the spearmans, rank and calculation and significance answer and how many marks
    0.8 something

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Geogmaster)
    I got 0.83 for spearmans, and then talked about how it exceeded the 95% and 99% significance levels, which meant it had a strong positive correlation and the null hypothesis could be rejected. Something like that.

I think it was 4 marks for spearmans, and only 2 for the significance answer

ReputationRep:
    For the last question on Rebranding was it rural and urban or just Urban or just Rural ?

ReputationRep:
    I thought the paper was very good! Much better than last years...

I could think of hardly anything for the first couple of questions, but when that storm hydrograph question came into sight...I was in hyperdrive mode!

A couple of them were worded a bit funny, but nothing to much too worry about. How about you?
    Yeah the very first question for me was a bit dodgey
    Haha yeah that hydrograph question was an gift !
    Overall I found that the paper was much better than last years

ReputationRep:
    I got 0.83 for spearmans, and then talked about how it exceeded the 95% and 99% significance levels, which meant it had a strong positive correlation and the null hypothesis could be rejected. Something like that.

I think it was 4 marks for spearmans, and only 2 for the significance answer
    Yesss laddd.

That exam could not have went any better

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 21, 2016

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 13 Dec '18
  • University of Buckingham
    Open Evening Undergraduate
    Thu, 13 Dec '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.