Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Did anyone take todays AS exam? If so what did you make of it?! Personally i thought the Extract Question was hard!

ReputationRep:
    Omfg same! I spent 20 minutes trying to find different points! I mean especially source a what could you say about it!!

ReputationRep:
    Exactly!!! I was grasping at straws to find anything in Source A! Would be interested to hear what you and others wrote about. also what question did you do in Section B

ReputationRep:
    Thought the source question was really hard! I wrote about Hawaii, the platt amendment...can remember much else! In section B I did the railway question, it was like a god send!

ReputationRep:
    Yes i agree, that section B question has saved me big time, was pretty straight forward! The wording in the source question did not help either.

ReputationRep:
    I know!!! But everyone I spoke to struggled so hopefully yhe grAde boundaries are going to be low... Idk I feel so faustrated because Ive been getting As since the start of the year and I feel like I didn't even write a good enough response for a D!!

Anyway... This is what I wrote (what I can remember because I was literally rushing so much so I'm not even entirely sure of what I included to be fair!
    For the sources:

A)
    'Alfred Mahan was the most influential' i think it said something along those lines... I said no bc his book was not as influential because mckinley still reluctant to join S-A war and it took him 2 months to convince congress so his impact was overexaggreated... (Just making up stuff bc I had no clue) and also said Roosevelt had more impact because his corollary was like an amendment
    - Point about naval bases
    And said that one was convincing bc of hawaii, guam puerto rico and cuba's platt amendment
    - I cant remember what my last point was but I think it was somethibg to do with 'struggle for markets' not entirely sure.. Anyway I think I said it was true and spoke about how the economic growth had led to surplus and hence competition for markets and hence intervention in boxer rebellion

Source B
    - 'technological and scientific advances' i wrote that they had contributed because otherwise america hadnt been able to get imporve navy so much that by 1900 they had the 3rd largest in the world and the Panama canal was also a technological achievement

-'economy' point I said something to do with businessmen were the ones who pressured Mckinley for S-A war and their willingness to secure markets represented for Filipino War (bc lasted 3 years)

- social darwinism' i said it was what porvided the moral justification for intervention in Latin America e.g. The corollary said 'police power' because they believed they were culturally inferior so i said it was a driving force

Overall I said B more convincing bc A overemphasised the role of Mahan and B more balanced because provided a wider range of reeasons...

* this is what I THINK i wrote.. Please dont laugh at me 😂😂I know its horrible but I couldn't think of anything else and wrote the answer in 20 minutes!! *

Then I answered question 3 because I thought it was easier and said immigrants were like what fuelled the growth (strikebreakers, big business maximised profit because able to pay lower wages, enough labour and also created new markets)
    Said second most important railroad because
    1) Contributed for Western Expansion which in turn brought resources in abundance - but Immigrants actively collected them and chinese constructed the transcontinental railroad
    2) Also meant that the Us had a siund infranstructure - helped agriculture and industry because reliable communication for example by creating timezones and they could get their produce to eastern markets and in return get the machinery which enabled mechanisation. Helped for instance bc of the Oklahoma Land Rush 1889 by helping with loans to buy land. Created more jobs for example bc cowboys used them to get cattle to west - service towns emerged. But immugrants more significant bc porportion of farmers were Irish/ Russians who brought the wheat to make Kansas fertile so without them, the potential of railroads wouldnt have been 'exploited'.

3rd factor) bug businessmen because their 'ruthless techniques' of veryical and horizontal integration led to huge monopolies e.g. cleveland massacre when standard oil brought up 22/26 main competitors. Also because they generated more efficient techniques - bessemer converter (carnegie). Amd the accumulation of wealth led to further investment. Overall important bc fierce competition they created led to investments in innovations which made betgwe products and were more efficient but immigrants were the ones who worked in their industry and led to their hiuge profit.

4th said less significant factor was gov.
    They provided the 'environment' with their Laissez Faire policy bc had industry been regulated big businessman wouldnt have been able to form their monopolies and e.g. Regulation of freight rates would have meant that railroad expansion would have been slower but the least significant bc big businessmen had huge power over politics (hence the protective tariffs) and especially the senate - close association seen by scandals under Grant (whiskey and star ring) but immigrants main factor because they actively made economy go further whereas gov just passes policy (which wouldn't have been effective without them).

Overall immigrants fuelled the growth, though railroads powerhouse in terms of westward exapansion and generating jobs and big business les to new technology and jobs available and 'controlled' gov and least important gov bc just provided the right environment.

Omg now that I think about it I did even worse than I thought 🙈🙈🙈 what did you write?

ReputationRep:
    Same I mean question 3 was actually good but I havent included enough 'precise detail' 🙈😭😭😭 omg I studied so much for this crappy exam ahhhh just wanna cry!! Anyway next wednesday is 'round 2' ...
    What other topic are you guys doing? Im doing English Revolution (2E)

ReputationRep:
    Ahh that was a good read! But Think i've gone complete wrong on Section A😂 I spoke about all the motives to imperialism like Preclusive, Progressive, Roosevelts Corollary an stuff, so i'm kinda worried now 🙈 Think i got at least 22 on Question 3 though

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.