The Student Room Group

Is English literature important?

I know this depends on what I want to do so I'll explain. I want to do Maths, Physics, History and Spanish at A level and go to university to do a degree in history or physics. Will my grade in English literature be important because I'm getting really stressed about it as I find myself unable to answer questions adequately and therefore scared that I'm doomed to get a bad grade. Also English literature is an important subject and if I do badly, will that have a much larger effect? In my mocks I got a B (A in poetry and a very low B in OMaM and AIC) however I'm not sure that I could replicate this. Even if I did, is a B or lower going to affect my chances at getting into university? I want to go to Warwick which is a really good uni, I'm great at physics and history (which is what I'd like to do), just not at English.
Reply 1
Original post by AxSirlotl
I know this depends on what I want to do so I'll explain. I want to do Maths, Physics, History and Spanish at A level and go to university to do a degree in history or physics. Will my grade in English literature be important because I'm getting really stressed about it as I find myself unable to answer questions adequately and therefore scared that I'm doomed to get a bad grade. Also English literature is an important subject and if I do badly, will that have a much larger effect? In my mocks I got a B (A in poetry and a very low B in OMaM and AIC) however I'm not sure that I could replicate this. Even if I did, is a B or lower going to affect my chances at getting into university? I want to go to Warwick which is a really good uni, I'm great at physics and history (which is what I'd like to do), just not at English.

Universities don't really care that much about your GCSEs, especially if you are not even doing that subject at uni (unless it's Oxbridge, I've heard.) As long as you do well in your A-levels, and you get at least a C in English literature, it will be fine.

Good Luck!
Reply 2
Original post by Flammae
Universities don't really care that much about your GCSEs, especially if you are not even doing that subject at uni (unless it's Oxbridge, I've heard.) As long as you do well in your A-levels, and you get at least a C in English literature, it will be fine.

Good Luck!

Thanks, a little less worried now!

Quick Reply

Latest