Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

i'd say im a very well behaved and passive person, yet my dad for some reason seems to always be annoyed with me. he always talks in a very aggressive way and it really p!ss£s me off. he often talks aggressive, so then i talk aggressive back at him, so then he talks even more aggressive. i see what's happeneing here but he somehow doesn't even though i point it out to him. he just says 'oh that's how i talk'. well, if it's enough to make me pissed off with someone, it's not a good way to talk. he constantly uses a tone that makes me think i've done something wrong, even though i never do anything wrong. to me it's like he acts as though i'm trying to aggravate him or something when i'd never do that to anyone. i dont want to seem arrogant here but couldve had a much worse behaved child that actually tries to start trouble and annoy him. thats not me and its like hes completely oblivious to that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    i'd say im a very well behaved and passive person, yet my dad for some reason seems to always be annoyed with me. he always talks in a very aggressive way and it really p!ss£s me off. he often talks aggressive, so then i talk aggressive back at him, so then he talks even more aggressive. i see what's happeneing here but he somehow doesn't even though i point it out to him. he just says 'oh that's how i talk'. well, if it's enough to make me pissed off with someone, it's not a good way to talk. he constantly uses a tone that makes me think i've done something wrong, even though i never do anything wrong. to me it's like he acts as though i'm trying to aggravate him or something when i'd never do that to anyone. i dont want to seem arrogant here but couldve had a much worse behaved child that actually tries to start trouble and annoy him. thats not me and its like hes completely oblivious to that.
    I get why you're annoyed, it's pretty awful to feel like you've done something when you haven't. Maybe you could tell him to try to talk less aggressively, and tell him how it makes you feel when he talks angrily? You might not want to sound "weak" by talking about your feelings to your dad but if you try to make him see things in your shoes and if he truly cares about you he'll definitely try to talk more gently. If not, try to see things from his point of view - does he have a stressful job? Or anything, really, that might cause him to constantly have a negative tone to his voice.

If all else fails, try doing something to do with the "association" effect; if you watch a movie with a particularly soft-spoken character, say something like "their voice is so nice". If you keep drawing attention to stuff like that without seeming like you're openly shading him, he will eventually subconsciously try to soften his voice due to the positive feedback you give to gentler voices.

I wish you the best of luck

ReputationRep:
    Omg.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 5, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.