Turn on thread page Beta

Those who say A-Levels are getting easier should be force-fed Marmite!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tis_me_lord)
    The food you people are all listing isn't even that bad, except for the raw sewage and marmite.
    You obviously have no taste buds.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by [-David-])
    I dont know how A2 compares to AVCE but my AVCE 18 units was pretty easy, hardly any stress.
    what is an AVCE :confused:

ReputationRep:
    I hate marmite.

Funny you should say this, i was having lunch earlier with my dad sitting next to me and he was talking about how he got an A in his history and then he says something like "which is the equivelant of beyond university these days." So i respond by saying "Don't you feel that by always saying how easy exams are now it's making me feel bad if i'm not perfect in everything." All he said was "I'm quite aware of that, two words - 'your French!'"

My dad is like that, he goes on about how much easier exams are today and stuff, that they're worthless. And here's little me taking these worthless exams and working for them. I thought parents were meant to be supportive of you... My dad's 'thing' is languages and he takes great pride in telling me how bad my french is and putting me down whenever I try. He failed his maths o-level twice yet he acts like I'm stupid

I have issues with my father

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zazy)
    Hehe, you never know examiners may love it judging their character...some prune juice would be good..heh
    i think they should make standard robots instead of having diff examiners. i swear in english i could get an A from one person and another would give me a D :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quiksilver)
    Advanced Vocation Certeficate of Education, me thinks

(Original post by jumpunderaboat)
    You obviously have no taste buds.
    Are you saying that you like sewage? Mustard is really nice!

ReputationRep:
    Are you saying that you like sewage? Mustard is really nice!
    Same thing.

ReputationRep:
    Advanced Vocation Certeficate of Education, me thinks
    likely to be considerably easier than A2 then

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by [-David-])
    I dont know how A2 compares to AVCE but my AVCE 18 units was pretty easy, hardly any stress.
    It wasn't like that for me, but then I did it in 2000 when it was brand new. There was a lot of stress, including having to sign petitions to get tutors sacked. The average grade for AVCE is somthing like ED.

There is a lot of course work to do, the exams were quite easy though about Systems Anaylsis (I got one of the highest grades in the country for that) and UNIT 2 which is just a load of crap.

ReputationRep:
    Advanced vocational A level blah blah blah

basically my double award consisted of 12 units (equilivant of 2 A levels) however I done 18 untis (equilivant of 3 A levels)

sucks that I will only be getting 2 grades and a bunch of extra points

ReputationRep:
    likely to be considerably easier than A2 then
    Have you got evidence to back this up?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by me!)

My dad is like that, he goes on about how much easier exams are today and stuff, that they're worthless. And here's little me taking these worthless exams and working for them. I thought parents were meant to be supportive of you... My dad's 'thing' is languages and he takes great pride in telling me how bad my french is and putting me down whenever I try. He failed his maths o-level twice yet he acts like I'm stupid

yep, my dad's speciality is maths and electronics, which i am crap at, lol. At GCSE he was saying that it was so easy and anyone coild do it, i found it quite diffcult. Lucky i got a B :rolleyes:
    mind you, my dad is crap at English and can't spell, so i can get back at him for that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    sorry no - maybe im mistaken

ReputationRep:
    It wasn't like that for me, but then I did it in 2000 when it was brand new. There was a lot of stress, including having to sign petitions to get tutors sacked. The average grade for AVCE is somthing like ED.

There is a lot of course work to do, the exams were quite easy though about Systems Anaylsis (I got one of the highest grades in the country for that) and UNIT 2 which is just a load of crap.
    Ah well i started mine in 2002, the paperwork is very tedious in some cases, and I hate the mark schemes (see my rant on unit 22). I never really felt challenged that much and i'll end up with an AB/BB (I was just over to AB last time i checked, BB worst case scinario)

Oh and ive had many, many times with tutors when i was close to punching / *****slapping them.

ReputationRep:
    Most people would take 3-4 A-levels (18-24units) few people take 2 AVCEs so would therefore do less work.

ReputationRep:
    Due to my age I was the first year to experience the new A level curriculum, and so, for practice I used a few of the last old exam papers for practice, well for A level physics at 6th form. Unfotunately I did not have enough experience to judge.

One of my friends said that he did the old syllabus and said they were older, and he has also done the new ones. What I think one person finds easy, another may find hard. Hence, I may well have been better off with old A levels myself. Also, many subjects in the old syllabus are more synoptic so I've been hearing. This often helps people to understand topics better, rather than try and learn a subject in separate parts without joining them together. I only completely understood why one of the critical density formula's assumptions is that the Universe is circular via the synoptic.

However, I do not think my friend's claim is that reliable. It's only one person and did totally different subjects on the old syllabus to that of the new one, due to a change in career.

Anyone who has done both curricula who wish to comment about this?

(Original post by Me!)

Don't worry, you must be better at french than me, i did foundation and still had to guess about 45 out of 50 questions in my reading.

My dad is good at history, law and english, in fact he is going to teach me la next year, i'm hoping i can rove him wrong by excelling, since when i have an intrest in a subject i can be very good at it. He has no faith in my sister and i though, whilst my sister was doing her english extra exam thingy all he could go on about was how he passed it, and she was going to fail it.

Still, i have worse issues when it comes to my mum.

ReputationRep:
    Most people would take 3-4 A-levels (18-24units) few people take 2 AVCEs so would therefore do less work.
    People take A2's AS's a longs side AVCEs though. 2 AVCE is 4 A Levels at A2.

ReputationRep:
    These are my AVCE portfolios, and I had to take four exams on top of this:

ReputationRep:
    People take A2's AS's a longs side AVCEs though.
    True and I haven't ever done an AVCE but I have friends that do. One of my friends got 3 A*-C at GCSE and is on a BB for AVCE whereas I got 11 and am on similarish grades for AS/A2s despite working much more than him throughout the year.

2 AVCE is 4 A Levels at A2.
    That was the basis of my point.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 7, 2004
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.