Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Those who say A-Levels are getting easier should be force-fed Marmite!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quiksilver)
    likely to be considerably easier than A2 then
    Wrong. There was a report by the QAA (I think) that stated that the AVCE courses were harder than normal A Levels as they are taught at A2 standard throughout.

There is also a larger emphasis on coursework. Approx. 2/3rds compared to 1/3rd for an A Level.

I do AVCE Business, Double Award and I cannot believe how easy A Level Business Studies is compared to it. Not saying the A Level Business Studies is easy, just that AVCE goes into more depth and needs more analysis/evaluation than its counterpart.

The main reason why AVCE has a lower reputation is because the students are of a lower calibre because the entry requirements are lower.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    These are my AVCE portfolios, and I had to take four exams on top of this:
    For my Biology A level i had 4 of those two text books five notebooks and little revision guides..it didnt fit into the pic.... :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jumpunderaboat)
    Most people would take 3-4 A-levels (18-24units) few people take 2 AVCEs so would therefore do less work.
    You can take an AVCE with additional A Levels.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zazy)
    For my Biology A level i had 4 of those two text books five notebooks and little revision guides..it didnt fit into the pic.... :eek:
    That porfilio is all coursework, work which I produced though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by risk-is-good)
    Wrong. There was a report by the QAA (I think) that stated that the AVCE courses were harder than normal A Levels as they are taught at A2 standard throughout.

There is also a larger emphasis on coursework. Approx. 2/3rds compared to 1/3rd for an A Level.

I do AVCE Business, Double Award and I cannot believe how easy A Level Business Studies is compared to it. Not saying the A Level Business Studies is easy, just that AVCE goes into more depth and needs more analysis/evaluation than its counterpart.

The main reason why AVCE has a lower reputation is because the students are of a lower calibre because the entry requirements are lower.
    Not always my old college MANCAT asks for 4 GCSEs at grade C to do AS and 5 at grade C for AVCE.

ReputationRep:
    You can take an AVCE with additional A Levels.
    Obviously, but that arguement is not really valid as 'you could take A-Levels with additional AVCEs'.

ReputationRep:
    These are my AVCE portfolios, and I had to take four exams on top of this:
    I had 4 Business assignments this year. Average 7500 words for each one, plus 2 2-hour exams.

The mark schemes for AVCE are a *****.

ReputationRep:
    mmmmm, marmite.

ReputationRep:
    I had 4 Business assignments this year. Average 7500 words for each one, plus 2 2-hour exams.

Tell me about it, you could most the criteria to get an A but if you miss just one thing to get an E you fail it. No matter how hard you have worked.

ReputationRep:
    Tell me about it, you could most the criteria to get an A but if you miss just one thing to get an E you fail it. No matter how hard you have worked.
    You can re-do the coursework over and over can't you?

ReputationRep:

jesus, that certainly mauls AS-level Business Studies. I know people who do that and I can't believe how easy it is - it consists of the easy parts of economics, plus some obvious stuff. I do Economics AS-level, and I reckon that without studying business, I'd be on for at least a B for AS-level.

ReputationRep:
    Yep. So unfair.

ReputationRep:
    Just once, then you fail it. And with the time constraints its not physical possible to keep redoing it. You can only resit the exams once as well.

ReputationRep:
    No. You cannot re-submit coursework on AVCE. Once it has been marked, there is no going back.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbdeeprob)
    jesus, that certainly mauls AS-level Business Studies. I know people who do that and I can't believe how easy it is - it consists of the easy parts of economics, plus some obvious stuff. I do Economics AS-level, and I reckon that without studying business, I'd be on for at least a B for AS-level.
    There are some more advanced theories though so such as accounts and you have to know many theroists for example. I know people who have totaly failed AS business studies. If you have common sense and a bit of general knowledge of UK law and business then its easy, however if you lack common sense its an impossible qualification to take.

I got a B in it AVCE, it wasn't the hardest thing I have taken, but I wouldn';t call it easy either.

ReputationRep:
    As I am doing Double Award, I have 1 A Level after one year, so it would wipe the flaw with AS.

The thing that got me with AS Business Studies was the exam. Screw Loose does not inspire confidence in the qualification. AVCE gives case studies from real businesses...

ReputationRep:
    As I am doing Double Award, I have 1 A Level after one year, so it would wipe the flaw with AS.

The thing that got me with AS Business Studies was the exam. Screw Loose does not inspire confidence in the qualification. AVCE gives case studies from real businesses...
    ScrewLoose was based on a real company though...

ReputationRep:
    I saw one of the course books for AVCE Health and Social Care in Waterstones about two weeks ago, and decided to have a look out of curiosity. It didn't look like a walk in the park to me.

I suppose many people may regard AVCEs as inferior, not well regarded and less demanding because they have no knowledge of them. My school does not offer them - so people instantly assume that it is a worthless qualification.
    This is not the case.

I'm sure that doing AVCE Health & Social Care would probably aid a potential medicine or psychology applicant, but I doubt whether that many people would take it nonetheless.

ReputationRep:
    I saw one of the course books for AVCE Health and Social Care in Waterstones about two weeks ago, and decided to have a look out of curiosity. It didn't look like a walk in the park to me.

I suppose many people may regard AVCEs as inferior, not well regarded and less demanding because they have no knowledge of them. My school does not offer them - so people instantly assume that it is a worthless qualification.
    This is not the case.

I'm sure that doing AVCE Health & Social Care would probably aid a potential medicine or psychology applicant, but I doubt whether that many people would take it nonetheless.
    That could be a bad example, I am not sure, but if you have a look at AVCE Science or somthing like that, I am sure that the text book for that won't look easy.

On my AVCE I had to do stuff like normalise databases to 5th normal form which is degree level stuff.

ReputationRep:
    A-Levels have definitely got easier in the last 5 or so years.

Exams have become easier and easier each year, syllabus content become shorter and more aids to help with exams.

It's also noticeable that in this thread people say "no way, A2's are well hard" - That's completely irrelevant, they were even harder 10 years ago.

If you do practice papers, you will notice the pattern - The older the exam, the harder it is. The very recent ones are definitely easier - Check out Maths and Physics for example; this year's exams infact!

Sorry, but the exams from several years ago do pose greater difficulty. Have a go at them, you'll see.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 7, 2004
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.