Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Those who say A-Levels are getting easier should be force-fed Marmite!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Invisible)
    If you do practice papers, you will notice the pattern - The older the exam, the harder it is. The very recent ones are definitely easier - Check out Maths and Physics for example; this year's exams infact!

Sorry, but the exams from several years ago do pose greater difficulty. Have a go at them, you'll see.
    Maybe because we haven't been taught the old sylabus...

ReputationRep:
    A-Levels have definitely got easier in the last 5 or so years.

Exams have become easier and easier each year, syllabus content become shorter and more aids to help with exams.

It's also noticeable that in this thread people say "no way, A2's are well hard" - That's completely irrelevant, they were even harder 10 years ago.

If you do practice papers, you will notice the pattern - The older the exam, the harder it is. The very recent ones are definitely easier - Check out Maths and Physics for example; this year's exams infact!

Sorry, but the exams from several years ago do pose greater difficulty. Have a go at them, you'll see.
    Go insane and out of your mind (reference to your signiture)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbdeeprob)
    I saw one of the course books for AVCE Health and Social Care in Waterstones about two weeks ago, and decided to have a look out of curiosity. It didn't look like a walk in the park to me.

I suppose many people may regard AVCEs as inferior, not well regarded and less demanding because they have no knowledge of them. My school does not offer them - so people instantly assume that it is a worthless qualification.
    This is not the case.

I'm sure that doing AVCE Health & Social Care would probably aid a potential medicine or psychology applicant, but I doubt whether that many people would take it nonetheless.
    Maybe this is just me being mean, but every person I've ever met doing Health and Social care has been a complete and utter idiot, which doesn't give me a good impression of the subject. It has mainly been those doing the GNVQ rather than the AVCE though- maybe the AVCE people are normal, but the entry level/foundation health and social care at our college are just beyond belief. :rolleyes:

I have nothing against AVCEs in general though- I think they're a good idea if that's what suits you, and I don't envy the amount of coursework they seem to have to do.

ReputationRep:
    BTW, if A Levels have become easier, then it isn't the students that people need to be moaning at, but the goverment and the exam boards who are in charge of the syllabus. We have no say over what goes into the exams, we just sit the stupid things, but it's always us who seem to get run down come results day.

ReputationRep:
    The only regret i ever made with my AVCE is that i was told my 18 units would give me 3 grades for the course, which infact seems a common mis-conception for a lot of people.

Not doing maths or physics will not allow me into higher universitys, but im sure i'll be happy with teesside.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frances)
    Maybe this is just me being mean, but every person I've ever met doing Health and Social care has been a complete and utter idiot, which doesn't give me a good impression of the subject. It has mainly been those doing the GNVQ rather than the AVCE though- maybe the AVCE people are normal, but the entry level/foundation health and social care at our college are just beyond belief. :rolleyes:

I have nothing against AVCEs in general though- I think they're a good idea if that's what suits you, and I don't envy the amount of coursework they seem to have to do.
    GNVQ and AVCE's are totaly different. GNVQ is a level 2 qualifcation, AVCE is level 3. So if you do GNVQ after your GCSEs you're basicaly doing another level 2 qualifcation so you haven't move up. Also there is GNVQ Foundation which is Level 1 (year 7-9).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jumpunderaboat)
    Maybe because we haven't been taught the old sylabus...
    I'm talking about the same syllabus but exams from 3/4 eyars ago.

For AQA B Maths, I did past papers from 2000/2001 up until 2004 and even in this 3 and a half year space, the gradual easing of the exam papers was noticeable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    Go insane and out of your mind (reference to your signiture)
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    GNVQ and AVCE's are totaly different. GNVQ is a level 2 qualifcation, AVCE is level 3. So if you do GNVQ after your GCSEs you're basicaly doing another level 2 qualifcation so you haven't move up. Also there is GNVQ Foundation which is Level 1 (year 7-9).
    Yeah, AVCE is the old adananced GNVQ though isn't it? I think the idea is that you start at the bottom and work your way up, but frankly some of the entry level/foundation people just don't have a hope. (I was shocked to even find out there was an entry level- I couldn't believe that there were people not good enough to do foundation!)

ReputationRep:
    It might be the same with GCSE exams, i remember that the exams i sat were, in most cases, far easier than the ones i practiced from previous years.

ReputationRep:
    I think it depends on the subject how hard AVCE's are compared to A-Levels. Take health and social care for example which I have a few friends doing. Some parts of it do contain Biology to the same standard as AS/A level, which is obviously reasonably hard. This was assessed by coursework though which enables you to copy information out of books and stuff so I wouldn't say it was as hard as taking an A-Level biology exam. Some people are better at exams than coursework though so maybe they would find the AVCE harder in this aspect.

Other parts of health and social care though i thought were very patronising for the students doing them. In one module my friends had to make an entire portfolio on easter activities which contained making and designing pop up easter cards and organising easter activities like an egg and spoon race, painting eggs etc. How can the exam board justify that this sort of stuff is of A-Level standard?

Other AVCE's like IT do seem to be of a similar standard to the A level but just with a more vocational aspect (which is as they were intended to be) so I think it definatly depends on the subject.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, AVCE is the old adananced GNVQ though isn't it? I think the idea is that you start at the bottom and work your way up, but frankly some of the entry level/foundation people just don't have a hope. (I was shocked to even find out there was an entry level- I couldn't believe that there were people not good enough to do foundation!)
    Foundation is a joke just to fiddle unemployment figures, an assignment consisted of producing a CV and most of them failed. I could probably do Foundation in 1 month and I am not trying to sound cockey or arrogant.

AVCE replaced GNVQ Advanced, but the exams were made much harder by introducing A level style exams.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by [-David-])
    It might be the same with GCSE exams, i remember that the exams i sat were, in most cases, far easier than the ones i practiced from previous years.
    Yes: Think about it, usually when people come out of an exam they often say "god, that was fine, not as hard as I thought it would be" - i.e.) Compared to past papers etc. that they did.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AM1)
    A2s are so tough, especially with all the pressure associated with meeting predictions....

Do you agree!
    If they were tough enough there wouldnt be so many A grades being achieved.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by an Siarach)
    If they were tough enough there wouldnt be so many A grades being achieved.
    Just out of interested how many A grades are actually achieved? How many people drop out at AS or have to resit AS? Its probably a lot, therefore only the better students even make it to A2.

ReputationRep:
    Yes: Think about it, usually when people come out of an exam they often say "god, that was fine, not as hard as I thought it would be" - i.e.) Compared to past papers etc. that they did.
    Exactly.

ReputationRep:
    Foundation is a joke just to fiddle unemployment figures, an assignment consisted of producing a CV and most of them failed. I could probably do Foundation in 1 month and I am not trying to sound cockey or arrogant.

AVCE replaced GNVQ Advanced, but the exams were made much harder by introducing A level style exams.
    Wasn't changing it into an AVCE suposed to make it more widely resepected? The government wanted people to mix and match vocational and accademic a levels, the same way they wanted them to mix and match arts and sciences at AS Levels. It was suposed to make them more acceptable to univerisites as well. None of those have totally happened really, but a lot of good unis do accept the AVCEs now.

ReputationRep:
    Just out of interested how many A grades are actually achieved? How many people drop out at AS or have to resit AS? Its probably a lot, therefore only the better students even make it to A2.
    The funny thing is, the exam boards control how many people get each grades. According to my history teacher, they try to set it so that about 20% of people get As each year. Looking at the stats on the guardian website, that doesn't really happen- although he said that was what led to that big fuss over OCR history grades a couple of years ago, because they hadn't set the grades right for the AS, so they had to fiddle with the A2 grades to get the right number (my teacher is an examiner for OCR history, so I usually assume he knows what he's talking about)

ReputationRep:
    Wasn't changing it into an AVCE suposed to make it more widely resepected? The government wanted people to mix and match vocational and accademic a levels, the same way they wanted them to mix and match arts and sciences at AS Levels. It was suposed to make them more acceptable to univerisites as well. None of those have totally happened really, but a lot of good unis do accept the AVCEs now.
    Which good unis accept it? (I'm not trying to insinuate that none do btw, I'm just curious as to which ones do).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbdeeprob)
    Which good unis accept it? (I'm not trying to insinuate that none do btw, I'm just curious as to which ones do).
    Most universities accept it aslong side an A2 (the majority can be AVCE). I know Manchester certainly does.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 7, 2004
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.