Turn on thread page Beta

(Original post by Whats_The_411?)
    :rolleyes: Well to be true. I did find the course easy, i just felt sorry for those in my class who kept getting crap grades. I speak for them :cool:
    judging from your results im not surprised you found it easy - but I think that was to do with you rather than the course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Expression)
    Parents are guilty of assuming that seeing as you did well enough at GCSE to get on to A-Levels, that you can breeze through A-Levels doing a similar amount of workload at home than you did for GCSE.

HOW WRONG THEY ARE !

Parent's don't seem to have a clue about the educational system at the moment, about the amount of content, pressure involved or the work required to maintain the high levels that you (and they) desire.

Many a time I had to fall out with my dad, insisting that I had plenty of time to do the pots, mow the lawn, help with a little DIY, tidy my room, and still complete a major project for Geography that a deadline was fast approaching for, and that counted for a whole unit.

"You spend all your time when I come in your room on your computer" - another comment that youngsters doing research / typing up will be plagued with; those parents not up to speed with using the internet to find resources / make email equiries will be particularly guilty and probably expect that their hardworking (hardpushed) student son/daughter can't work with best efficiency if they are listening to the radio/favourite CD/MP3 (whatever an MP3 is, they would go away thinking!).

A-Level is no breeze, exam time is the worse bit of it, 2 or 3 exams (possibly more) in a day, and still they don't think, despite your best manners, that hoovering up / drilling a hole / allowing young sibling into your room is going to be too detrimental.

"Just take care of your sister for a bit would you, we're going out" - grrrrr. "Trying to do revision here.." - they don't understand.

I was told straight from Day 1 of the A-Level courses, that the amount of pressure put upon you during the course would be the most challenging in an academic career. The content may not be, but the amount of work required certainly is, and the sooner parents and the media come down to a level where they see the amount of work that has to be done, they will never understand what angle we come from when we are outraged by their comments.
    My dad calls me a part timer just because I do less hours than him but I argue I am working constantly in a fixed period of time, I don't sit around watchind dvd and sleeping during a shift.

(Original post by timeofyourlife)
    lol, can't say I've heard that as a reason before. Evolution would have to be pretty quick for brains to be enlarging over a 50 year span! I'd be interested to see a source for the fact that enlargement of brains is helping increase exam results.

maybe what she is talking about is not exactly brains enlarging but to do with the plasticity of brains as we develop.

skills and knowledge important in the past are not considered as important anymore - so that "frees up" space in the brain for letters & numbers & things we think are important today.

If that vaguely makes sense as a suggestion.

Less a biological evolution than a cultural one!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by an Siarach)
    Thats a fair point, but at the end of the day the entire point of the grading system is to allow the universities to differentiate between students of differing ability and potential, which is something they cannot do if there are so many people who get As. Im unsure what percentage mark is required for grades though i seem to recall something along the lines of 40% for a pass and 70% for an A? Perhaps they should increase this benchmark to 50% for a pass and 80% A for example which would allow them to palce greater confidence in the ability of straight A students once more.
    For AQA Chemistry it is:

80%: A
    70% : B
    60% : C
    50% : D
    40% : E

(Original post by supreme)
    For AQA Chemistry it is:

80%: A
    70% : B
    60% : C
    50% : D
    40% : E
    for *all* the modules? Those are the UMS grade boundaries, & usually the raw mark grade boundaries differ from this. for example last year's Edexcel Nuffield chem 6 paper - I think 68% was needed for an A - but last year's edexcel P1 I think was 88% for an A.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shushimeng)
    so why do u think people getting 5,5,5 in key stage 2 and now they are changing the exam question?
    teaching geared towards getting high SAT marks, and not getting a good overview of the subjects.

because of this people are making theirself to get 4 As and 5As now days, so that they can get to the place where 20 people is trying to get, so they are using more brain cells.
    The fact that lots of people are getting AAA is much more likely due to the facts that teaching is geared towards exams only, government interference, higher percentages of top grades being awarded etc. than that we are using more brain cells!

u have to admit that our brain is enlarging gradually (maybe no one will ever notice untill there is a big change).
    We don't use most of our brain so which parts are getting larger? Certain lobes, or the brain as a whole? And where is your source saying that brain size is changing exam results?

What i don't understand is why As is getting hard every year ( i took past paper and i found it really easy and few weeks ago i sat the exam, i found it kinda hard someone the question is in A2).
    That's your opinion. A lot of subjects in older past papers have been taken out of current syllabi and put in university programmes. I could not even understand most of the chem past papers from 20 years ago. But that can also be put down to changing teaching methods.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    These are my AVCE portfolios, and I had to take four exams on top of this:
    My folders are bigger than that for one subject

I think that it definetly sucks having to write loads of documentation and then do an exam on it. I had to do this for A/S Computing and trust AQA to write an exam paper which meant you could have answered the questions without writing all the documentation althought they might refuse to mark the exam paper according to the regulations. :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana)
    for *all* the modules? Those are the UMS grade boundaries, & usually the raw mark grade boundaries differ from this. for example last year's Edexcel Nuffield chem 6 paper - I think 68% was needed for an A - but last year's edexcel P1 I think was 88% for an A.
    Yes for all the module though they are the UMS grade boundaries and I don't have the the actual boundaries for particular years

ReputationRep:
    teaching geared towards getting high SAT marks, and not getting a good overview of the subjects.

The fact that lots of people are getting AAA is much more likely due to the facts that teaching is geared towards exams only, government interference, higher percentages of top grades being awarded etc. than that we are using more brain cells!

We don't use most of our brain so which parts are getting larger? Certain lobes, or the brain as a whole? And where is your source saying that brain size is changing exam results?

That's your opinion. A lot of subjects in older past papers have been taken out of current syllabi and put in university programmes. I could not even understand most of the chem past papers from 20 years ago. But that can also be put down to changing teaching methods.
    ok with ur changing teaching methods

My folders are bigger than that for one subject
    several people have said this type of thing and i think possibly we are missing the point in that the folders in the picture are NOT all the notes, etc - the folders are JUST the assessed coursework for the course.

That is the point that was being made.

Yes for all the module though they are the UMS grade boundaries and I don't have the the actual boundaries for particular years
    Uh huh, that's what I thought.

It's a bit of an empty point though, because those aren't the real grade boundaries.

By the way, are yo the person I was arguing with some time ago about diseases, cancer, antibiotics etc? or am I confused?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana)
    several people have said this type of thing and i think possibly we are missing the point in that the folders in the picture are NOT all the notes, etc - the folders are JUST the assessed coursework for the course.

That is the point that was being made.
    I was going to say the same thing but you got there first.

ReputationRep:
    ok with ur changing teaching methods
    and with all these 11 year olds doing A-Levels we must be breeding a mass of intellectuals

(Original post by amazingtrade)
    I was going to say the same thing but you got there first.
    ya see, I'm just too quick

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AM1)
    A2s are so tough, especially with all the pressure associated with meeting predictions....

Do you agree!
    They're not so tough if you discount all the pressure that goes hand in hand with A2s. It's the pressure for you to meet your requirements that turns even smart people into jelly. People with straight As at AS and straight A* at GCSE will suddenly start moaning they'll miss their AAB offer etc. (Which is ridiculous but understandable).

(Original post by Mysticmin)
    People with straight As at AS and straight A* at GCSE will suddenly start moaning they'll miss their AAB offer etc. (Which is ridiculous but understandable).
    it's not ridiculous if the effort you have puit into school and exams has been slowly declining since year 7, and declining even faster since GCSEs

ReputationRep:
    mmm i love marmite
    and found a levels very difficult ...grrrr :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crana)
    it's not ridiculous if the effort you have puit into school and exams has been slowly declining since year 7, and declining even faster since GCSEs
    Ha ha, no chance, they're still working solidly. Other way for me, I was a lazy sod until my A levels. Possibly due to the awakening call that were my GCSEs.

Come on Rosie, you have an offer for natsci at pembroke You must be clever.

(Original post by Mysticmin)
    Ha ha, no chance, they're still working solidly. Other way for me, I was a lazy sod until my A levels. Possibly due to the awakening call that were my GCSEs.

Come on Rosie, you have an offer for natsci at pembroke You must be clever.
    I'm most impressed that you know my name and my offer.

i dunno though. even if I was...I don't feel like i have put enough effort in to make my offer....and even when I did really, really try e.g. p3.....i just can't do it

AND moreover i looked on the thingy yesterday for teh maths module i have to do at cambridge, which is meant to be EASY MATHS FOR DAFT BIOLOGISTS, and I need to be able to do all the p3 stuff!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIIIIIi

rosie

ps. where are you going?& what to do?

ReputationRep:
    and with all these 11 year olds doing A-Levels we must be breeding a mass of intellectuals
    grrrrrrr i don't agree with people doing what they aren't suppose to do, but what can i say i am taking my As early

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 7, 2004
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.