The Student Room Group

Mental Health Awareness Week 2016!

This week is Mental Health Awareness Week!

Mental illness can affect anyone of any age. The common statistic used is that 1 in 4 adults suffer from a diagnosable mental illness each year, and about 1 in 6 are at any given time. Everyone has mental health as much as they do physical, and as chances of recovery are greatly improved the earlier someone gets help it's important to do this as soon after you notice it becoming a problem as possible. Doctors see this every day and that's what they're there for, so don't worry about wasting anyone's time! If it's bothering you and affecting your everyday life, it's worth looking into.

There is loads going on on TSR this week. The general themes for days are below but there will be others unrelated to these- I'll be adding links to them in here as we go so if you have a thread you want putting in, let me know! @Queen Cersei has also arranged an amazing Q&A with Student Minds on Tuesday, so keep an eye out for this too :smile:

Monday: Depression and Anxiety
Tuesday: Exam Stress
Wednesday: Body Image
Thursday: OCD
Friday: Relationships

For more information on mental illness, the Mind and Rethink websites are a good place to start. The Samaritans, Childline and Nightline are also great if you need someone to speak to, and also have email and instant messaging services if you can't or don't want to speak out loud to someone. If you're struggling, your GP is always a good first point of call though!
Links!

Monday 16th May: Depression & Anxiety
Acute stress and anxiety: My experience by iEthan
Depression and anxiety: The story of my diagnosis by Deyesy

Tuesday 17th May: Exam Stress and Student Minds Q&A
Exam stress: When it gets too much by furryface12
Manisha's exam stress vlog

Wednesday 18th May: Body image
Myth-Busting Wednesdays: Men and eating disorders by Deyesy
Body image: Fact file by furryface12

Thursday 19th May: OCD
OCD myth-buster by shadowdweller
Depression, panic attacks and OCD: My experience by Spock's Socks

Friday 20th May: Relationships
Share your #RelationshipResolutions for mental health! by iEthan
Being in a relationship with someone that has depression by randdom

Psychosis by Sabertooth
Personality disorders: My experience by Airmed
Celebrity Guess Who: Which celebrity has which mental illness? by Deyesy
(edited 7 years ago)
Has Mental Health affect your relationships? Start a discussion over in the Mental Health forum!

Quick Reply

Latest