dontgiveup123
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I am currently doing Alvel maths. I did my C1 exam today and didn't do as good as I expected so now I'm really worried as it puts me in bad position to get an A grade for maths. I have C2,C3,C4,S1 and M1 left to do. What should I do to get 85UMS an above in the rest so I can achieve an A
sheelo73
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
i did c1 badly too . to get an A* overall you need:

240/300 UMS at AS (thats c1,c2 and either s1 or m1 (depending on what you do in AS) combined)
AND
- 180 UMS across both C3 and C4 (basically 90 ums on each c3 and c4)
AND
- at least a C in your applied module at A2 (the one left over from s1 or m1... so if you did s1 for AS and m1 in a2, you need at least a C in m1)

roughly an A is 420ums out of a possible 600 over AS and A2 combined . so you have a chance still
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by dontgiveup123)
I am currently doing Alvel maths. I did my C1 exam today and didn't do as good as I expected so now I'm really worried as it puts me in bad position to get an A grade for maths. I have C2,C3,C4,S1 and M1 left to do. What should I do to get 85UMS an above in the rest so I can achieve an A
You need 480 UMS for an A, how it's split over the 6 units doesn't matter.
dontgiveup123
Rep:
?
(Original post by Compost)
You need 480 UMS for AN A, how it's split over the 6 units doesn't matter.
What advice do you have for me to achieve an A grade
dontgiveup123
Rep:
?
(Original post by sheelo73)

240/300 UMS at AS (thats c1,c2 and either s1 or m1 (depending on what you do in AS) combined)
AND
AND
- at least a C in your applied module at A2 (the one left over from s1 or m1... so if you did s1 for AS and m1 in a2, you need at least a C in m1)

roughly an A is 420ums out of a possible 600 over AS and A2 combined . so you have a chance still
Makes me feel slightly better lol

What should I do to achieve an A like any advice ? Thanks
dontgiveup123
Rep:
?
(Original post by Compost)
You need 480 UMS for AN A, how it's split over the 6 units doesn't matter.
Oh okay thanks
georockman
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Makes me feel slightly better lol

What should I do to achieve an A like any advice ? Thanks
After that Core 1 exam, i am just trying to find the most difficult questions that I can do to ensure that I will be prepared for whatever they could throw at me lol.
Did not expect that difficulty for a C1 paper.
dontgiveup123
Rep:
?
(Original post by georockman)
After that Core 1 exam, i am just trying to find the most difficult questions that I can do to ensure that I will be prepared for whatever they could throw at me lol.
Did not expect that difficulty for a C1 paper.

Are you doing A2 as well ?
georockman
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Are you doing A2 as well ?
Yes. Have to get 90 ums in all my other 5 exams; I think haha.
Kevin De Bruyne
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Practice.

Solomon papers if you have the time.
dontgiveup123
Rep:
?

AND
AND

Thanks a lot , did you end up with an A* and how did you achieve it?
dontgiveup123
Rep:
?
(Original post by georockman)
Yes. Have to get 90 ums in all my other 5 exams; I think haha.
Lol yh that what puts me under pressure
black1blade
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

AND
AND

Say if I got a C at s1 but I was doing that for AS but got an A for M1 when doing A2, could I swap them around so I would get an A* overall. Assuming am able to get 90 % on c3 and 4...
Compost
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by black1blade)
Say if I got a C at s1 but I was doing that for AS but got an A for M1 when doing A2, could I swap them around so I would get an A* overall. Assuming am able to get 90 % on c3 and 4...
sheelo73's explanation is not correct for what you need. To get an A* overall you need:
  • At least 480/600 UMS overall and
  • At least 180/200 from C3 and C4.
A2 is not a qualification on its own, it is just the second half of the A level. Your A level will be made up of C1-4, M1 and S1 so you can't 'swap them round' as they are both in the A level. If you are cashed-in again for the AS when you have taken M1 then it might improve your AS grade.
black1blade
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Ah okay, that makes sense, average of 80 UMS on each of the exams is doable especially if you need 90 on c3 and 4.
BinaryJava
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Look up gold papers if you are doing edexcel maths. It is a collection of the hardest questions from actual papers. Also try international papers.
jsd26
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
http://umstools.sourceforge.net/demo...tor&target=gce

use this to see your options, change it to maths in the dropdown
georockman
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by BinaryJava)
Look up gold papers if you are doing edexcel maths. It is a collection of the hardest questions from actual papers. Also try international papers.
Anything else I should be doing?
Rager6amer
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
IDK which exam board you are doing but i would say practice some older past papers to get the hang of the types of questions/ answers they give/want and then do some more recent papers to get you familiar with how questions will be phrased / worded in the exam because as im sure you are aware the newer papers have much more linking / thinking involved so they are harder. If you need any help with a particular topic/area, join me over on my thread and we can try to discuss it and provide help. Good luck with c2 and getting an A

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...1#post65015081
Zacken
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

AND
AND

This is pretty much all wrong.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (738)
33.93%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (929)
42.71%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (413)
18.99%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (95)
4.37%

Watched Threads