Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How common are August resits and do they affect the rest of my uni career Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey basically what the title says, also I'm in Durham university where the 1st year marks don't count towards the degree so is there any other type of penalty? Is it considered a stigma to retake a 1-2 modules in August of fresher year ?

Thanks for your time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malaks)
    Hey basically what the title says, also I'm in Durham university where the 1st year marks don't count towards the degree so is there any other type of penalty? Is it considered a stigma to retake a 1-2 modules in August of fresher year ?

Thanks for your time
    It's never going to be helpful, certainly. Resits will remain on your uni record and might affect the quality of any future job reference if it's an ongoing situation. If you get a reputation for slacking, that can be hard to shake.

Different matter if you have extenuating circumstances for the resits, such as illness or bereavement at the time of the original exams.

ReputationRep:
    So having one bad day basically hunts for the rest of my life, without a chance to ever improve that grade?
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    A lot of unis (if not all) have resits capped to the pass mark of 40%. Which means that if you resit and get a good mark, you'd only get 40%.

You only have to resit if you had failed the first time round. Unfortunately it's not like A-Level where you could buy resits...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malaks)
    So having one bad day basically hunts for the rest of my life, without a chance to ever improve that grade?
    Being blunt - yes, potentially.

However most unis will have a range of assessment methods for each unit, so if you're weak at exams (like me) then you have the opportunity to balance the marks with things like assessed coursework or an assessed presentation during the year.

Having said that, failing or getting poor marks in first year exams, is probably the least damaging point at which to do that. If you're otherwise a steady worker and getting decent marks for coursework, then that will even things out over three years.

But the basic message is that there is no safety net for uni exams. If you fail them without extenuating circumstances, the likelihood is that you will not get higher than a basic pass mark for a resit. If you pass but with a disappointing grade, then you're stuck with it. You cannot decide to resit in order to get a better grade.

ReputationRep:
    it's important to do well in first year regardless of whether it 'counts' because it's good practice at working hard, it will be difficult to suddenly step up if you're used to slacking... you also wont know how hard you need to work to get the grade you want... you'll also make a bad impression on your tutors etc and lose the respect of your peers

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.