How to prepare for starting GCSE courses

Watch
Laura/
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi,
I'm in Year 9 and have just chosen my GCSE options, I have picked: French, History, Geography and Triple Science, alongside English Literature,English Language, Maths,Further Maths and Religious Education. Based on my current grades, I should be aiming to get A*s (or grade 8/9 in the new system) but I also get quite stressed by exams, so I was considering what can I do over the summer holidays between year 9 and year 10 to prepare me for starting the GCSE courses? Thank you!
Lemur14
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Laura/)
Hi,
I'm in Year 9 and have just chosen my GCSE options, I have picked: French, History, Geography and Triple Science, alongside English Literature,English Language, Maths,Further Maths and Religious Education. Based on my current grades, I should be aiming to get A*s (or grade 8/9 in the new system) but I also get quite stressed by exams, so I was considering what can I do over the summer holidays between year 9 and year 10 to prepare me for starting the GCSE courses? Thank you!
Firstly, find out which exam boards you are doing for those subjects and buy revision guides for them. Make sure they are the new 9-1 guides. The CGP ones are good but I don't know how many of the 9-1 guides they have out as yet. They've certainly done a fair number of the core subjects so I would guess most of those are out or coming out in the next few months.
Also, find out which books you will be studying in English and read them, you can buy revision guides specifically for the books as well.
Look at this link if you want to buy them online: https://www.cgpbooks.co.uk/Student/books_gcse
It certainly wouldn't do any harm to look over what you have learnt this year towards the end of the holidays either.
Last of all, have fun! You probably won't be this free until the end of year 11 (and even that is only temporary) so make the most of it.
bluepearl7
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
look up the subject content for next year

and I guess u can just start revising them and learning the topics that you will be taught in year 10 so u would find it easier

The best thing to is research

like research exam boards and new gcse and most importantly find out how you study best
like find your own way of revising for a exam.

The quicker you understand how u learn best the easier
AperfectBalance
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Ok so I will just put a list of stuff that should help you

-You have time, but do not waste it. Do not go crazy with revising do a little each day and most importantly make sure you remember it

-Do some research of the topics you will be doing before you start. Lets say for history you are doing ww2, watch a few documentaries about it and have a read up to give yourself some knowledge on the subject, while you are studying for it watching documentaries while they may not be the best way to revise if you enjoy them like I do you can have leisure time while you learn.

- Make a list of subjects you find easy, for me doing IT and history are super easy so I spend less time compared to subjects that I struggle with, but do not neglect any subject.

- Don't procrastinate, get stuff done and do not leave it till the last day.

- Make sure you have fun and social time.

If you need any help just ask me or anyone else, most of us have been through it before
Laura/
Rep:
?
Thank you so much for all your help, I will buy the revision guides for all my subjects and read the English Lit texts over half term and the summer.
Kiniun
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
get all your coursework out the way now:rofl:
Laura/
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kiniun)
get all your coursework out the way now:rofl:
I'll be doing the new GCSEs so I won't have to do any coursework!
LlamaLikeEllie
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
1) Buy all the revision guides. This may be expensive, but they honestly help so much! I really recommend the CGP ones for science, and the Pearson one for Maths
2) Don't leave homework until the last night. This is SO hard, but it reduces stress from too much homework.
3) Buy your own copies of the English Lit texts and read them in advance
4) Start learning quotes for English Lit. It may just be a couple a week, but it will help when you have other exams and you don't want to be stuck memorising lots of quotes
5) Enjoy year 10. It has the possibility to be your favourite year. Don't stress out about exams and work too much, save that for year 11
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (92)
38.17%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (27)
11.2%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (18)
7.47%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (57)
23.65%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (30)
12.45%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (17)
7.05%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed