Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I've been receiving really weird and inaudible phonecalls recently from a withheld number. I'm just wondering, can people who phone you using a withheld number trace you?
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I've been receiving really weird and inaudible phonecalls recently from a withheld number. I'm just wondering, can people who phone you using a withheld number trace you?
    Yes, only if someone already has an app installed on their smartphone, then the call can be traced through the app by identifying the person's location according to GPS.The locations of cell phones nowadays can be tracked even if you have not made/received a call, or even when there is no SIM inserted. Your phone only needs to be turned on to announce its IMEI, a unique identifier of each device, to the nearest towers. I think what you're experiencing is most likely just a prank though, try not to worry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shameful_burrito)
    Yes, only if someone already has an app installed on their smartphone, then the call can be traced through the app by identifying the person's location according to GPS.The locations of cell phones nowadays can be tracked even if you have not made/received a call, or even when there is no SIM inserted. Your phone only needs to be turned on to announce its IMEI, a unique identifier of each device, to the nearest towers. I think what you're experiencing is most likely just a prank though, try not to worry.
    You're right but it isn't just an app, people have to gain access to towers, the police and national security have unlimited access to these though, for a person track from a phone call is quite difficult unless they have the right super expensive equipment and want to risk going to prison

(Original post by zayn008)
    You're right but it isn't just an app, people have to gain access to towers, the police and national security have unlimited access to these though, for a person track from a phone call is quite difficult unless they have the right super expensive equipment and want to risk going to prison
    Ah, so is the app alone enough to trace someone?

ReputationRep:
    Unless you are using any app or feature that broadcasts your location, then no. It wouldn't be impossible, but it would be very difficult and illegal.

ReputationRep:
    Very very unlikely unless they are spies

ReputationRep:
    You can track a landline quite easily, mobile phones are a bit more difficult, i'd presume enabling gps manually through software would be the most clever way.

ReputationRep:
    So yes it's true you can trace someone with an app but this doesn't mean you can trace a call (using telephone signals) to locate someone, the only way to do this is to use professional equipment and triangulate them. Unless someone has installed malware on your device they can't track you with an App

ReputationRep:
    The only way to completely avoid cell phone being located is to remove its battery. Even turning off doesn't guarantee it, from what i hear.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 19, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.