Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello,
    I've just gotten round to applying for my student finance. I couldn't do it earlier because as a non-UK applicant I knew I had to send my passport in (and I needed it as proof of ID for an exam I sat two days ago). So here I am now!
    After looking all over the place, I've finally found the form I'm supposed to fill in to apply, but because I'm Swiss, it makes things veeeeery complicated >
    I need to send a big bunch of evidence to prove all sorts of things. That includes my birth certificate. Ouch, it's in Switzerland (I live in the UK) and nobody can get it for me until the end of May, just after the deadline.
    So basically: what happens if I apply late?
    All I've seen is "you get paid late", but tuition loans are paid directly to the uni anyway (I'm not applying for a maintenance loan, only tuition). So how does it work? Do I have to pay for the first term from my own money and then get the loan for terms 2 and 3?
    Or do I get the money for term 1 later in some way?
    I don't expect I can start studying if I haven't paid my first term?
    Can someone please help? I never expected it would be so complicated to be a Swiss applicant if you've got other suggestions too, they're greatly appreciated. Thank youuuu!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    If your fees are late, then explain your situation to your uni. They'd expect proof that you've applied. You'll receive a payment schedule from student finance. That's what the uni needs.

It's possible that if you do apply late, your loan may not be delayed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    If your fees are late, then explain your situation to your uni. They'd expect proof that you've applied. You'll receive a payment schedule from student finance. That's what the uni needs.

It's possible that if you do apply late, your loan may not be delayed.
    Alright, thank you. Also, I've just found in my papers a "certificate of civil status for Swiss nationals" which is basically an official document stating my date of birth, place of birth and name of parents, citizenship and full name of my parents. Do you think that could replace my birth certificate for the evidence for sure? I mean, it does serve to prove that I am my parents' child which is what they need?
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    Hi there.

From a Student Finance perspective, your tuition fees can be paid late with a late app.

It's up to your college/uni to determine if they would like you to pay for the first instalment or any other arrangements that may need to be made, so you would need to speak to them regarding that.

We will only accept the Birth Certificate as we're able to verify this.

Thanks

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.