Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DazYaTTT)
    or i could just knock it offline for about a day, rather then yesterdays half hour? and THEN see the reaction

http://www.uk-learning.net/t52853.html
    What's the point?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    Finally some constructive suggestions.

Any others? Ollies already agreed to add an official complaints procedure to the FAQ as I suggested last night.
    ok thank you for telling us what is happening

Instead of just spouting on about "more mods" and asking for rediculous amounts of communication when posts/threads are deleted/members are banned (maskalls initial spamming campaign and dazyas 50+ accounts show that having to make this sort of contact as a routine part of the mods job would be more work than necessary or realistic) does anyone else have any realistic and helpful suggestions.
    I personally have never asked for there to be more mods, however a mod specifically for this subform might be a good idea. (its a suggestion not something that i am going to argue to the death)
    we do need some communication between mods and users particularly if they are going to delete popular thread because of a few comments since as we have discoverd over the past few days that doesn't go down well

we realise that it is difficult being a mod, but as suggested above if there is too much work then surely it is logical to look at the first suggestion

The only reason subscribers were brought into this debate was because I suggested the people unhappy may like to donate (not subscribe) some money towards getting outsourced professional moderation implimented - maybe just in this subforum. I've no idea how much it costs but it is available...the BBC message boards had it for a long time and it's been in place in h2g2 for over a year now. The site authorities still get a say over referred/reported posts that are borderline.
    I personally can not afford to subscrib and do not have the means either at the moment, I think we can solve problems without having to throw money at it as well.
    I also think it would be productive if all members could see deleted posts/threads and the reasons where used. This would make for greater openess within moderation and would also give members a clearer idea of the amount of work the mods actually do. It would mean a necessary change of tone within the reasons (ie rather than communicating amongst themselves the mods would be communicating with the forum at large). It would also mean threads/posts made by users with offensive names would all need to be hard deleted.
    yes to the first bit altho i imagine the mods would disagree on the grounds that it would mean more work for them (see mod for D+D suggestion)
    Am against the hard deletion as valuable posts could be lost, prehaps moved to a closed forum which means they could always be moved back from

ReputationRep:
    ukl lets subscribing users delete their own threads (or at least, that's what i've come to understand through these pages of drivel) - so what? at the end of the day, it's just another pro of having a subscription (although how much of a pro it really is beats me). it's in your best interests that UKL continue to attract subscribers by offering them such features, so that you can start pathetic whine-filled threads like these at unsightly times in the morning.

damn, where else would all you egotistical synonym-pushers go if UKL wasn't available. i'll reitterate the point that access to UKL is more of a privellage than a right, unless you're paying for access (and as i understand a very small minority are), you lose the right to whine about service provided.

so if you're going to complain that your oh-so-****ing-precious post count will be affected because some thread with your hundred-or-so posts inside got deleted, grow up please. before contributing to the thread the ones of you who claim to have some amount of intellect will know that any number of actions could happen to the thread - individual's comments removed, threads deleted, threads locked. if you have a problem with that, don't press that little submit post/reply button.

ReputationRep:
    or didn't you bother reading further than the title?
    You of all people i thought would avoid comments like that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    An Official Compalints Procedure sounds like an excellent idea - why would it need to be discussed? It's a general improvement, rather than one specific to this debate.
    last time I looked this place was reasonably open and democratic. any proposals from a moderator should be or are generally discussed. this suggestion was made as a result of the concerns and requests that we have been reiterating over the last few days, yet without any contact being made with any of those people who raised the concern in the first place. personally i dont see how making a complaint official, alters the balance of the forum, but then i didnt suggest and approve it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vienna95)
    last time I looked this place was reasonably open and democratic. any proposals from a moderator should be or are generally discussed. this suggestion was made as a result of the concerns and requests that we have been reiterating over the last few days, yet without any contact being made with any of those people who raised the concern in the first place. personally i dont see how making a complaint official, alters the balance of the forum, but then i didnt suggest and approve it.
    Why would you have to suggest or approve it? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    I mentioned it to an Siarach on the "should Viena(sic) and endorf be banned" thread - or didn't you bother reading further than the title?
    when this thread becomes available for free, open and general consumption to all, you may have something of a point. i was unaware that Ollie had taken any other suggestions into consideration other than yours.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Speciez99)
    Am against the hard deletion as qualuable posts could be lost, prehaps moved to a closed forum which means they could always be moved back from
    I agree about not needing to throw money at the problem...but the point stands - if you want professional moderation it's going to cost money.

As for the hard deletion I only meant it would be needed for users with offensive ids (ie containing swearwords or racist/insulting comments) - if you'd seen the banned user list (which didn't seem to survive the upgrade) then you'd know what I meant.

It's fair to say that people with names like "fannylicker" rarely make valuable posts

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    Why would you have to suggest or approve it? :confused:
    i dont, but it should be supported by the majority of the forum, not just me and not just the subscriber forum.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Sorry - it wasn't very nice...but I knew she'd seen the thread from posts made in the about subforum - as the post about the complaints procedure was only a few posts in I assumed she'd already seen it.

ReputationRep:
    It's fair to say that people with names like "fannylicker" rarely make valuable posts
    :eek: Its censorship gone mad!

ReputationRep:
    well, not after what we revealed yesterday surely?

ReputationRep:
    I agree about not needing to throw money at the problem...but the point stands - if you want professional moderation it's going to cost money.

As for the hard deletion I only meant it would be needed for users with offensive ids (ie containing swearwords or racist/insulting comments) - if you'd seen the banned user list (which didn't seem to survive the upgrade) then you'd know what I meant.

The attitude at the moments seems to be that the mods we have are as good as we are going to get for free. This is one I disagree with personally.

I do not know how much gudiance they are given with regards to deletion or the extent to which disucssions go on in their forum however I think personally that with some matters there is definate room for improvement. I cannot see this forum being able to afford pro modding and personally would prefer any money to be spent on the server.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    i dont, but it should be supported by the majority of the forum, not just me and not just the subscriber forum.
    I only suggested specifying more clearly the unofficial complaints procedure - pm-ing a mod directly. And also that maybe a complaints email address be set up for unregistered members or members who'd been banned that could be accessed by all the mods.

If I'd suggested official wording or something beyond the current unofficial procedure then I would have posted a poll...as it was it was just an idea so I sent it off to ollie as I thought of it and left it to his judgement.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry - it wasn't very nice...but I knew she'd seen the thread from posts made in the about subforum - as the post about the complaints procedure was only a few posts in I assumed she'd already seen it.
    and thats missing the point then.

ReputationRep:
    as it was it was just an idea so I sent it off to ollie as I thought of it and left it to his judgement.
    and the outcome of this?

ReputationRep:
    well, not after what we revealed yesterday surely?
    No but after opening her comments with praise for helpful suggestions its seemed rather strange to drop to that level. I am glad you have said sorry for that comment at least tho.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    The attitude at the moments seems to be that the mods we have are as good as we are going to get for free. This is one I disagree with personally.

I do not know how much gudiance they are given with regards to deletion or the extent to which disucssions go on in their forum however I think personally that with some matters there is definate room for improvement. I cannot see this forum being able to afford pro modding and personally would prefer any money to be spent on the server.
    AFAIK there is no official guidance for mods...and of course it's worth bearing in mind that any guidance shouldn't be too restrictive that it prevents mods participating in debates and conversations and putting across their own opinions.

I'm sure that any suggested guidelines would be read with interest if not accepted in their entirity.

ReputationRep:
    and the outcome of this?
    Well clearly Ollie judged it to be a good idea as he's implemented it. :confused: Are you arguing for the sake of it?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    and the outcome of this?
    From my PMs
    (Original post by Ollie)
    Hiya Ollie

I'm not sure if you've been around much but in light of what[s been happening with the D&D sub forum and the general *****ing at the mods I wondered if it would be worth putting some sort of "official" complaints procedure into the FAQ. Basically suggesting that if someone has a problem with a thread being deleted for no obvious reason etc etc that they pm a/all the mod/s to ask for an explaination...

I know the FAQ mentions PMing the mods if you have a problem but I thought it might be helpful to make it more specific for moderation issues/complaints to save the nasty bitter threads that have been appearing over the last few days.

And maybe provide an email address (to a yahoo/hotmail account which all the mods have the login/password for?) for any complaints from non members (or for people who've been banned but don't know why).

Waddaya think?

PQ
    Thanks PQ, I would like to add some of these, watch the faq!

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.