Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    I only suggested specifying more clearly the unofficial complaints procedure - pm-ing a mod directly. And also that maybe a complaints email address be set up for unregistered members or members who'd been banned that could be accessed by all the mods.

If I'd suggested official wording or something beyond the current unofficial procedure then I would have posted a poll...as it was it was just an idea so I sent it off to ollie as I thought of it and left it to his judgement.
    Ok of this a email address would certainly be useful so you could find out why you had been banned is a very good suggestion.
    However there is little here in the way of sort outing out the problems that led to these discussions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Speciez99)
    No but after opening her comments with praise for helpful suggestions its seemed rather strange to drop to that level. I am glad you have said sorry for that comment at least tho.
    as for the rest, we live in hope.

ReputationRep:
    AFAIK there is no official guidance for mods...and of course it's worth bearing in mind that any guidance shouldn't be too restrictive that it prevents mods participating in debates and conversations and putting across their own opinions.
    I understand that. If i was a mod personally I think I would have another account to debate with.
    I'm sure that any suggested guidelines would be read with interest if not accepted in their entirity.
    yes and I would also suggest that for the debate forum Vienna's sticky is a good place to start

ReputationRep:
    From my PMs
    well, firstly, '*****ing at the mods' is a little inaccurate, but then im not expecting a great deal anymore.

as for the rest, it appears Ollie has approved them. when was the forum to find out? and possible disagreements to this suggestion? what was planned for the new set of polls and locked threads moaning about the new measures?
    this is the problem, no accountability just means more dispute and ill-feeling.
    • Answer Heroes
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Answer Heroes
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by vienna95)
    well, firstly, '*****ing at the mods' is a little inaccurate, but then im not expecting a great deal anymore.

as for the rest, it appears Ollie has approved them. when was the forum to find out?
    I would imagine when Ollie has the time to put something together and update the faq with it...he generally starts a new thread in the about subforum announcing updates.

Oh and I would say endorfs throwing the corrupt comment towards the entire mod team yesterday is pretty much classified as *****ing.

ReputationRep:
    I would imagine when Ollie has the time to put something together and update the faq with it...he generally starts a new thread in the about subforum announcing updates.
    see my edit. the events u describe above, demonstrate my concern.
    • Answer Heroes
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Answer Heroes
    PS Reviewer
    see my edit. the events u describe above, demonstrate my concern.
    So why not make some PRACTICAL suggestions to solve instead of just moaning and complaining?

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Pencil Queen]I would imagine when Ollie has the time to put something together and update the faq with it...he generally starts a new thread in the about subforum announcing updates.

Oh and I would say endorfs throwing the corrupt comment towards the entire mod team yesterday is pretty much classified as *****ing.
    1 comment vs multiple threads, polls and PM requests. balanced?

ReputationRep:
    So why not make some PRACTICAL suggestions to solve instead of just moaning and complaining?
    my suggestions are submitted together with those of Speciez and those proposed to Expression. not to mention the two stickies that the D+D forum has initiated and discussed. discussed openly where everyone has an opportunity to add their comments. all after consultation with more than several forum players. i believe it should be a democratic process, of which i am merely a part.

ReputationRep:
    :rolleyes: but anyway
    the way i see it is
    1. Introduction of this freeback system is a good idea
    2. The moderation in the D+D forum needs to be more careful, the abusive members need to be banned more regularly
    3. The threads need to be deleted less (closed is better than deleted since we can then at least see what was being put. This also allows the mod to put a comment on the end explaining why
    4. Wild moderation is unacceptable and has no place in this forum, I know they have alot of work but that does not make it acceptable.
    5. A way of banning members permantly needs to be found
    • Answer Heroes
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Answer Heroes
    PS Reviewer
    my suggestions are submitted together with those of Speciez and those proposed to Expression. all after consultation with more than several forum players. i believe it should be a democratic process, of which i am merely a part.
    And they are....?....

All the suggestions will be discussed by all of the mods and most likely also be approved by d. This isn't a democracy it's (what was the phrase used on h2g2) a benevelent dictatorship.

No matter how important us members may think we are we have no influence over the way the site is run, we can make suggestions and because the mods are human and members they're likely to take suggestions and opinions into account...but they don't HAVE to - even if you managed to get every non-mod member to agree to your suggestions the mods and d would still be well within their rights to refuse them.

ReputationRep:
    And they are....?....

All the suggestions will be discussed by all of the mods and most likely also be approved by d. This isn't a democracy it's (what was the phrase used on h2g2) a benevelent dictatorship.

No matter how important us members may think we are we have no influence over the way the site is run, we can make suggestions and because the mods are human and members they're likely to take suggestions and opinions into account...but they don't HAVE to - even if you managed to get every non-mod member to agree to your suggestions the mods and d would still be well within their rights to refuse them.
    However I would like to think that D would do thing that make the site better wouldnt you.....

ReputationRep:

as for the rest, it appears Ollie has approved them. when was the forum to find out? and possible disagreements to this suggestion? what was planned for the new set of polls and locked threads moaning about the new measures?
    this is the problem, no accountability just means more dispute and ill-feeling.
    I open to comments and suggestions still. I'd like to here opinions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ollie)
    I open to comments and suggestions still. I'd like to here opinions.
    well how about offical support for this
    http://www.uk-learning.net/t46482.html

ReputationRep:
    well how about offical support for this
    http://www.uk-learning.net/t46482.html
    Official support how? I've already stuck the thread.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ollie)
    Official suppoert how? I've already stuck the thread.
    Stickying it i would see differently to agreeing with it personally, but if you do I am glad
    • Answer Heroes
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Answer Heroes
    PS Reviewer
    2. The moderation in the D+D forum needs to be more careful, the abusive members need to be banned more regularly
    4. Wild moderation is unacceptable and has no place in this forum, I know they have alot of work but that does not make it acceptable.
    Both of these could be helped by members reporting posts (and members) as they're posted...that way the posts that NEED to be removed are pinpointed by the members while those that are controversial but actually add to the debates wont be.

ReputationRep:
    Stickying it i would see differently to agreeing with it personally, but if you do I am glad
    I do agree with it, I told Vienna that. I don't really see how my support is going to help that thread.

ReputationRep:
    And they are....?....

the moderators have an obligation to act on the will, behalf and good of the forum. implementing a suggestion based on the suggestion of one person does not appear to fit that scope.

d has every right. i think youre confused as to the scope of a moderator. which is to act on behalf of the forum and allow its smooth running. they are not there to dictate the fundamental nature of the forum and do not own it.

ReputationRep:
    Both of these could be helped by members reporting posts (and members) as they're posted...that way the posts that NEED to be removed are pinpointed by the members while those that are controversial but actually add to the debates wont be.
    ok two things
    I would agree that reporting of posts is very important and I would encourage Vienna to add that to the sticky
    but when I said wild moderation, I meant something different, deletion of threads without reason and banning of an siarach was unacceptable, as is allowing members to **** off others continuely behind their backs in an apperently destignated forum

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.