Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by an Siarach)
    Thats the best you can come up with 'if you dont like why dont you move elsewhere'
    that and 'older threads = deletion'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    It is not abuse of power - rather just a different interpretation of the job.

And genuine mistakes do not mean incompetence.

If you feel so strongly about how this forum is run maybe you should find a forum with moderation better suited to your taste?
    I do respect the mods and I would like to think personally that they are mature enough to take criticism when it is backed up with facts and have the decenacy to
    1. find out by PM or by thread what people thought about it
    2. enter into discussion about it
    3. accept that sometimes changes are needed, the forum has changed alot in the last 6 months and it hardly suprising that things like moderation which have changed little need to sometimes change

I use this forum for a reason, there are a large number of very clever people on it, I would like to think therefore that we could resolve our differences and make teh place better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vienna95)
    we're happy with a more liberal style of moderating.
    Some of you are, but the moderating brief is to delete content unsuitable for a student's forum, which is what the mods try to do.

ReputationRep:
    Not really, it's true, 99% of the members have no problem with the way the forum is run, so those who do are the "misfits", so to speak.
    Where do you come up with this spurious figure? the only polls we have as evidence show a majority in favour of change. Any other figures youd like to pluck out of the air?

ReputationRep:
    Where do you come up with this spurious figure? the only polls we have as evidence show a majority in favour of change. Any other figures youd like to pluck out of the air?
    Because such a small number have voted in the threads.

But I take your point, maybe 98%.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Speciez99)
    I do respect the mods and I would like to think personally that they are mature enough to take criticism when it is backed up with facts and have the decenacy to
    3. accept that sometimes changes are needed, the forum has changed alot in the last 6 months and it hardly suprising that things like moderation which have changed little need to sometimes change

I use this forum for a reason, there are a large number of very clever people on it, I would like to think therefore that we could resolve our differences and make teh place better.
    indeed, this seems to been entirely consistent with what we've been continuing to say from day one. the response has been more than disappointing.

ReputationRep:
    indeed, this seems to been entirely consistent with what we've been continuing to say from day one. the response has been more than disappointing.
    Maybe the mods are too busy moderating to discuss it?

Or maybe the A-level/degree exam times was not the best time to start a thread asking for moderators' input,

ReputationRep:
    Maybe the mods are too busy moderating to discuss it?

Or maybe the A-level/degree exam times was not the best time to start a thread asking for moderators' input,
    sorry but at the moment there are no alevels or degree exams going on and we started this is in earnest yesterday

ReputationRep:
    sorry but at the moment there are no alevels or degree exams going on and we started this is in earnest yesterday
    Well you haven't given them very long to reply have you!

ReputationRep:
    Well you haven't given them very long to reply have you!
    I sincerely hope you are right and that they do comment and that this isnt just swept underneath the carpet like it just didnt happen with a number of thread deletions. However even a "we are sorting it out" pm would be nice if that is the case.

ReputationRep:
    I sincerely hope you are right and that they do comment and that this isnt just swept underneath the carpet like it just didnt happen with a number of thread deletions. However even a "we are sorting it out" pm would be nice if that is the case.
    Maybe PM one or two of them? They always reply.

ReputationRep:
    In all fairness Adhsur and Rahaydenuk have listened and been helpful.

ReputationRep:
    I wasn't impressed with adhsur locking that thread yesterday. Mind you, she'd had to put up with a lot of crap from Gnostic about her ethnic origins on it.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer

Finally some constructive suggestions.

Any others? Ollies already agreed to add an official complaints procedure to the FAQ as I suggested last night.

Instead of just spouting on about "more mods" and asking for rediculous amounts of communication when posts/threads are deleted/members are banned (maskalls initial spamming campaign and dazyas 50+ accounts show that having to make this sort of contact as a routine part of the mods job would be more work than necessary or realistic) does anyone else have any realistic and helpful suggestions.

The only reason subscribers were brought into this debate was because I suggested the people unhappy may like to donate (not subscribe) some money towards getting outsourced professional moderation implimented - maybe just in this subforum. I've no idea how much it costs but it is available...the BBC message boards had it for a long time and it's been in place in h2g2 for over a year now. The site authorities still get a say over referred/reported posts that are borderline.

I also think it would be productive if all members could see deleted posts/threads and the reasons where used. This would make for greater openess within moderation and would also give members a clearer idea of the amount of work the mods actually do. It would mean a necessary change of tone within the reasons (ie rather than communicating amongst themselves the mods would be communicating with the forum at large). It would also mean threads/posts made by users with offensive names would all need to be hard deleted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lala)
    I wasn't impressed with adhsur locking that thread yesterday. Mind you, she'd had to put up with a lot of crap from Gnostic about her ethnic origins on it.
    There were calls from myself and Speciez to lock it 2 hours before she did but she said it went against what she stood for. As you say she had to take a lot of abuse from Gnostic and the standard of the thread generally over the last couple of hours was apalling.

ReputationRep:
    Yes I agree the mods do a very good job and I couldnt praise them enought with regards to most of their actions. Hopefully if we can sort out these few problems everything will be back to normal again. There are clearly a few problems and I hope that they can resovled in a peaceful manner, I myselft have tried to put my points across in a clear respectful manner and would hope that by this manner we can reach a compremise

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    Finally some constructive suggestions.
    where have you been..?

Any others? Ollies already agreed to add an official complaints procedure to the FAQ as I suggested last night.
    on who's suggestion? as far as im aware, this wasnt discussed with anyone that had or raised concern.

ReputationRep:
    where have you been..?

on who's suggestion? as far as im aware, this wasnt discussed with anyone that had or raised concern.
    An Official Compalints Procedure sounds like an excellent idea - why would it need to be discussed? It's a general improvement, rather than one specific to this debate.

ReputationRep:
    or i could just knock it offline for about a day, rather then yesterdays half hour? and THEN see the reaction

http://www.uk-learning.net/t52853.html
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    where have you been..?
    Work, social life, family...

I haven't actually seen any specific REASONABLE suggestions....more mods isn't a reasonable suggestion - we all know that the cries for more mods are constant and make no difference at all - when d decides we need a new one they're appointed with the consent of the forum. Only edders managed to campaign his way to modship and that was more to do with being in the right place at the right time.

I suggested it by PM (as I said)

I mentioned it to an Siarach on the "should Viena(sic) and endorf be banned" thread - or didn't you bother reading further than the title?

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.