Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Right so I'm very confused right now :confused: I do CCEA English Lit and for AS last year I remember learning that there was a difference between the romance novel and the romantic novel- the romance novel focuses on love but the romantic novel didn't have to be about love, it was about symbolism etc. This year I'm doing Jane Eyre and we were looking at romance, I have a new teacher who is now telling me a romance novel and a romantic novel are the same thing but it's confused me so much! What has anyone else been taught- is there a difference between the romance novel and the romantic novel? Thanks in advance!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Caroliz001)
    Right so I'm very confused right now :confused: I do CCEA English Lit and for AS last year I remember learning that there was a difference between the romance novel and the romantic novel- the romance novel focuses on love but the romantic novel didn't have to be about love, it was about symbolism etc. This year I'm doing Jane Eyre and we were looking at romance, I have a new teacher who is now telling me a romance novel and a romantic novel are the same thing but it's confused me so much! What has anyone else been taught- is there a difference between the romance novel and the romantic novel? Thanks in advance!
    Hi! a romance novel is indeed about love etc. A romantic novel on the other hand refers to a novel wrote during the 1700 and 1800s during the Romantic Period. This was basically when authors began to become more creative and liberal with their works. Science and enlightenment were replacing natural and religion in works of art. The most famous romantic book is probably Frankenstein (obviously not about romance!) romantic books were more impulsive, opinionated and liberal...
    Hope this helped

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.