Turn on thread page Beta

Did better in mocks than real exams? watch

ReputationRep:
    Has this ever happened to anyone? I mean in the mock exams say u got mostly As and Bs and were also predicted these grades and in the real exams u got all Cs and Ds and Es and Fs. This is what I think has happened to me after I have just done my GCSEs. The reason was that I was ill during the exam period and found it hard to revise properly and applied for Special Consideration.
    Now won't this will look odd to the examiners when they start marking my papers and realise how much I have underperformed in all my exams. Won't they be sympathetic about it and raise my grades after looking at my past results and predicted grades?
    It is so unfair when u work so hard for two years and get good results in your mocks and good predicted grades and then mess up in the real exams (by being ill) that really do count.
    Has this happened to anyone before and did u get the results u were predicted or did the exam board just ignore your medical note and give u low grades when really u were capable of getting good grades?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coolguy)
    Has this ever happened to anyone? I mean in the mock exams say u got mostly As and Bs and were also predicted these grades and in the real exams u got all Cs and Ds and Es and Fs. This is what I think has happened to me after I have just done my GCSEs. The reason was that I was ill during the exam period and found it hard to revise properly and applied for Special Consideration.
    Now won't this will look odd to the examiners when they start marking my papers and realise how much I have underperformed in all my exams. Won't they be sympathetic about it and raise my grades after looking at my past results and predicted grades?
    It is so unfair when u work so hard for two years and get good results in your mocks and good predicted grades and then mess up in the real exams (by being ill) that really do count.
    Has this happened to anyone before and did u get the results u were predicted or did the exam board just ignore your medical note and give u low grades when really u were capable of getting good grades?
    If you did worse than what you should have done in your exams due to illness, then you should be eligible for special consideration and hence get the grades you deserve.

As for your point: I got 46/50 on my mock Physics Module 3 exam, but I didn't do quite as well in the real thing - But that's because it was a harder exam paper than the mock, so I guess this is pretty irrelevant.

BTW: You must get your teacher to fill in a special form with all details needed - This is to be sent to the exam board(s).

ReputationRep:
    Sure did.

I got a B in a physics AS mock last year.

Took the paper for real and got a D

I've just retaken it and i reckon i'll be heading for an A thankfully now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chud)
    Sure did.

I got a B in a physics AS mock last year.

Took the paper for real and got a D

I've just retaken it and i reckon i'll be heading for an A thankfully now.
    The opposite for me, i get low grades in the mocks and go up a few grades in the actual exams. Isn't that the point?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by little_melanie)
    The opposite for me, i get low grades in the mocks and go up a few grades in the actual exams. Isn't that the point?
    Yep

ReputationRep:
    No. Touch wood it's usually the other way around.

ReputationRep:
    My teacher has filled in the special form and the doctor has also signed it and practically every teacher in my school knows about it.
    But for subjects like English Lit and Lang and History and others where u have to write essays how will they know that I have underperformed, I mean I got extra time but that didn't really help cos I hadn't revised properly due to being ill. I also couldn't finish many papers so do u think the exam board will be able to tell by that, that i had underperformed?

ReputationRep:
    I think a lot of people get complacent following mock exams (if they do well) and so end up getting a lower grade than expected.

On the other hand doing badly in a mock exams scares people into studying hard and doing well in the real exam.

ReputationRep:
    I never really did much revision for the mocks, got all C's and B's when im predicted all B/A/A*'s

But for the real ones I acctally revised a lot and so its most likely I did a lot better

ReputationRep:
    i never really revise for my mocks. Funny enough, i got more As in my mocks than in the real thing for my GCSEs which was annoying.

ReputationRep:
    im hoping i do ok in my exams

ReputationRep:
    Did it (marginally) at GCSE... 8A*, 2A, B in mocks, 6A*, 5A in the real thing. Don't become a cocky ******* after the mock results like I did, and then didn't work hard enough.

ReputationRep:
    I never revise for mocks because then I only get say a B or C. Then that encourages me to work really hard and hopefully get A's.

In my mocks i got high A*'s in englishes and maths, and i probably only got A's in them in my final exams.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah but when the examiners start to mark my papers, and I start to get grades Es, Fs or Gs, then won't they think that this guy has really underperformed esp. when they see that medical note with my exam papers and see that I was predicted As, Bs & Cs which is also evident in my previous exams. Also won't they even be able to tell I have underperformed even when I got extra time in some exams and still couldn't finish the papers. Please tell me what might happen? I don't want to fail my GCSEs!!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Can someone please tell me what might happen? Are the exam board so unsympathetic that they will make me fail and refuse to raise my grades despite knowing I have a medical note?

ReputationRep:
    In my GCSE mocks i got an A in English Lit but got a B in the real thing. For biology and chemistry GCSEs i had As from modules and coursework (50%) of grade but slipped to Bs in the exams.

ReputationRep:
    I've always done worse in my mocks than the real things - I never really try for the mocks. Despite parental and teacher protestations to the contrary, I'll always feel they're unimportant. I know what to learn without a bit of paper telling me what to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meghan)
    I've always done worse in my mocks than the real things - I never really try for the mocks. Despite parental and teacher protestations to the contrary, I'll always feel they're unimportant. I know what to learn without a bit of paper telling me what to do.
    my school always sets mocks really hard and mark really strict so that we'll struggle throught hem and find the real ones easier

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by starry)
    my school always sets mocks really hard and mark really strict so that we'll struggle throught hem and find the real ones easier
    gits my school gave us the more difficult papers - well, the ones with the awkwardly phrased questions - but marked normally.

either way it doesn't matter any more nooooo moooooore school!

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.