The Student Room Group

Victim blaming - Does it exist and what is it?

Not sure where to put this feel free to change it's location moderators for now it's the relationship section.

Hello I'm a dark skin male now throughout my life I have had women some of a lighter skin tone some even of a dark skin tone cross the street when seeing me.

Now I could take this as racism but let's face it these women are only taking precaution's to protect themselves right? They are using their brains, I mean look at me a dark skin male I may be dangerous even though I haven't hurt a soul but hey it's these women's right to protect themselves in whichever way they see fit.

So now I take it to the topic at hand , victim blaming in the case above these women who cross the street are in some way protecting themselves from a potential danger whether real or not.

It is also human nature I think for people to ask questions of how people behave and conduct themselves. So why is it that if a question is asked of a women's behaviour in today's society it's straight away called victim blaming?

Should we now live in a society were women are not expected to take any level of responsibility? Now I am not trying to say victims of crime should be to blame, if one is a victim of a crime it is 100% the perpetrators fault but we can all make efforts to protect ourselves and we all do everyday so I don't think people speculating as to how a person may or may not have got in such a situation should be described as victim-blaming.

Another thing you never hear this idea of victim blaming in relation to male victims am I to believe that males are never the victims of crime?

There are a lot of questions there to chew on feel free to give me your view on the matter.

Scroll to see replies

I really doubt it is because of your skin colour
Reply 2
I've read the post 3 times and haven't a clue what you are getting at..
Reply 3
Original post by Platopus
I really doubt it is because of your skin colour

Feel free to expand on that Platopus.
Reply 4
Original post by Zarek
I've read the post 3 times and haven't a clue what you are getting at..

That's OK Zarek there are a lot more easier subjects in the relationship section for you to ponder on.
Original post by Anonymous
Feel free to expand on that Platopus.

I'm a woman and from my experience, when I or my friends are judging whether a man might be "dangerous", skin colour does not factor in.
Reply 6
I'm a woman and from my experience, when I or my friends are judging whether a man might be "dangerous", skin colour does not factor in.

Could you please tell me what you do factor in Platopus? Also please take note as well that this has happened to me from about age 14 to now in my 20's also understand that this thread I do not really wish to be about race nor am I looking for soppy sympathy. I am totally fine with how women treat me in this complicated world even if it makes me feel a bit down sometimes. I know very well there are dangers out there and some of them may look like me.

This thread is primarily about subject of victim blaming what I wrote was just a real life example (experience) of women using the brains to in some way protect themselves.
Victim blaming is literally blaming someone for being the victim of a crime.
Telling someone to take precautions to prevent that crime from occurring in the first place really isn't the same as blaming them, regardless of what tumblr and The Guardian tell you.
Reply 8
Original post by Zargabaath
Victim blaming is literally blaming someone for being the victim of a crime.
Telling someone to take precautions to prevent that crime from occurring in the first place really isn't the same as blaming them, regardless of what tumblr and The Guardian tell you.

I see what you mean Zargabaath the literal act of pointing the direct finger at the victim for the crime which happened upon them is what's wrong not necessarily the speculation which may surround such crimes on websites. Though victim blaming of course may occur on websites.
Reply 9
[QUOTE=Anonymous;64938767]That's OK Zarek there are a lot more easier subjects in the relationship section for you to ponder on.

So, I'll try and make some sense and comment on your anonymous post.

I don't think anyone at all is blaming a woman who crosses the road to put distance between her and a male she feels threatened by. And let's face it as a lone female it's pretty easy to feel threatened bearing in mind there are some men about who are very dangerous to women. The fact you are 'dark skinned' is likely irrelevant although I can understand how this might be perceived a racist stereotyping.

Victim blaming is things like saying that because women go out alone or out scantily clad that they are provoking sexual assault. Clearly outrageous. From a mans perspective I know there are risks in being out late and alone. But I am for sure going to take those risks as it is a basic right to go about your business. Like women though I will try to be streetwise in these situations.
Not sure where to put this feel free to change it's location moderators for now it's the relationship section.

Hello I'm a dark skin male now throughout my life I have had women some of a lighter skin tone some even of a dark skin tone cross the street when seeing me.

Now I could take this as racism but let's face it these women are only taking precaution's to protect themselves right? They are using their brains, I mean look at me a dark skin male I may be dangerous even though I haven't hurt a soul but hey it's these women's right to protect themselves in whichever way they see fit.

So now I take it to the topic at hand , victim blaming in the case above these women who cross the street are in some way protecting themselves from a potential danger whether real or not.

It is also human nature I think for people to ask questions of how people behave and conduct themselves. So why is it that if a question is asked of a women's behaviour in today's society it's straight away called victim blaming?

Should we now live in a society were women are not expected to take any level of responsibility? Now I am not trying to say victims of crime should be to blame, if one is a victim of a crime it is 100% the perpetrators fault but we can all make efforts to protect ourselves and we all do everyday so I don't think people speculating as to how a person may or may not have got in such a situation should be described as victim-blaming.

Another thing you never hear this idea of victim blaming in relation to male victims am I to believe that males are never the victims of crime?

There are a lot of questions there to chew on feel free to give me your view on the matter.

Victim blaming is stating that someone is at least partly responsible for being attacked/threatened. There is a difference in advising someone to take precautions to avoid crime and stating that it is their fault that the crime happened. A crime may well have happened to a particular person due to their actions is being in a particular place at a certain time but this is very different from it being their fault that the crime happened because they did not 'do' the crime. The fault still lies with the criminal as they are the ones that did it. Of course the victim could have prevented it from happening to them by taking more precaution but the fault lies with the criminal, if they weren't able to get at the victim their criminal mind would predispose them to attack someone else.
Could you please tell me what you do factor in Platopus?

Tbh I would only avoid a man if I thought he was following me or staring at me or something like that. On a practical note are far too many black men for women to consciously cross the street every time we see one. We would be zig zagging all over the place and probably be in more danger from cars coming down the road!
It's quite strange how victim blaming (which is usual partial blame) is accepted for virtually every other crime, under the right circumstances. As an example, if I walk through a rough, high crime area with lots of expensive things and get robbed people would say I had it coming. Whereas if a woman drunkenly stumbles down a dark alley by herself and is raped, feminists would decapitate you for simply pointing out that her decisions endangered her.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Tbh I would only avoid a man if I thought he was following me or staring at me or something like that. On a practical note are far too many black men for women to consciously cross the street every time we see one. We would be zig zagging all over the place and probably be in more danger from cars coming down the road!

Platopus I think you are partially lying here and being PC, also the OP didn't mention black men so I know for sure you are lying. In your own mind the black men is already a figure of fear and that's sad.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by Underscore__
It's quite strange how victim blaming (which is usual partial blame) is accepted for virtually every other crime, under the right circumstances. As an example, if I walk through a rough, high crime area with lots of expensive things and get robbed people would say I had it coming. Whereas if a woman drunkenly stumbles down a dark alley by herself and is raped, feminists would decapitate you for simply pointing out that her decisions endangered her.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I put it down to the fact that when it's a crime to do with women and people talk about it. Any critique to said victim is automatically seen as victim blaming, possibly because of modern feminist thinking. You have to ask why they even have any female self defense classes when we are supposed to apparently teach them not to think of their safety.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Mancini
Platopus I think you are partially lying here and being PC, also the OP didn't mention black men so I know for sure you are lying.

Oh give me strength...

And they said dark skin male. Sorry for abbreviating.
(edited 7 years ago)
X

Dark skin...

What is your ethnicity?
How do you know they're actually crossing the street because of you? I've crossed the street if there's a big group of men, which has nothing to do with skin colour. I just find large groups of men intimidating.

There are large numbers of actuary tables where blame is split between the "victim" and the main culprit. Take for example, a car crash. If you are hit by the car behind you, the car behind is the "villain" and you the "victim" but if you had someone hidden in the boot of your car, the "villain" would not be totally to blame for any injury to that person, you the "victim" would be partially to blame.

So blaming the victim, when it is obviously required, is already in the legal code.

Women often cross the road to avoid white or black or brown or any colour men when walking by themselves - Do not take this as racist (that is paranoia), its a rational/irrational fear of groups or even single men. I walk fast, and numerous women can look worried if I pass them early in the morning. I make sure when I pass people on narrow pavements I walk in the road so as not to cause undue worry. I would suggest, if you see a woman looking a bit worried, cross the road and walk on the other side, you did not cause her phobia but you might want to not make it worse.
Original post by Underscore__

Posted from TSR Mobile

It depends which people you ask. I personally wouldn't blame someone for being mugged when walking through a rough area with lots of expensive things. I mean, yeah, if it were me, I'd make sure those things weren't on show, but if I chose not to, it still wouldn't be my fault if I was mugged. The only people to blame would be the muggers.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending