Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    A female friend, and self-appointed style guru has recommended I read "Bad Boy" by Olivia Goldsmith... the blurb on the back reads...

(Original post by Blurb)
    Jon and Tracy, two friends in their twenties, meet regularly at a hip late night cafe in Downtown Seattle to discuss their problems over a cup of mochachino. Jon is Mr Very Nice Guy - he can't understand why he can't attract a girlfriend. Tracy, on the other hand, is never short of a man, but they seem to treat her so casually - for example, her present guy, Phil, plays guitar in a band, and comes back to the apartment in the middle of the night expecting her to get up and produce supper. Jon will only pull the girls, Tracy explains, when he learns to be a Bad Boy, too, and she undertakes to effect the transformation. The results are astonishing. A trendy haircut, cool new clothes and endless lectures on behaviour later, and Jon's nerdy friends and Tracy's man-hungry female colleagues are hot with jealousy (in the case of the former) and desire (in the case of the latter.) But stories like this one always have a nasty twist in the tale - and this one is no exception...
    So, is that an insult or not? lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teamvillage)
    A female friend, and self-appointed style guru has recommended I read "Bad Boy" by Olivia Goldsmith... the blurb on the back reads...

That's the blurb? Shoot the publicist! That's atrocious.
    Yep, be offended you're mate is saying you're a geek who can't pull the girls and you need a total make-over.

ReputationRep:
    Take everything as a compliment, its the way to world peace.

ReputationRep:

Do you fancy her? Because if you do, then you know what you have to do..

ReputationRep:
    When i read the blurb i got it into my head that she was hinting at you and her having a relationship? :rolleyes: I'm not so sure now though...i think it is a compliment - not sure about the turning into new person with trendy clothes etc........maybe that means 1. you should do that or 2. you are like that now?
    I don't know LOL very bizarre! :confused:

I'll agree with eleenia on this one i think...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gemma.....)
    When i read the blurb i got it into my head that she was hinting at you and her having a relationship? :rolleyes: I'm not so sure now though...i think it is a compliment - not sure about the turning into new person with trendy clothes etc........maybe that means 1. you should do that or 2. you are like that now?
    I don't know LOL very bizarre! :confused:
    It sounds like something terrible happens to them both after he's transformed though so maybe she isn't saying you need to change and she loves your geeky, untrendy ways? Either way, she wants your babies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by F. Poste)
    Do you fancy her? Because if you do, then you know what you have to do..
    She's an ex

ReputationRep:
    She's an ex
    Oh man, she's trying to hava a dig at you!
    OK, so tell us about the context that it came up in... we need more info...

ReputationRep:
    She's an ex
    Haha, gutted. That's rather vicious!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eleenia)
    No dont think its a dig... we're still best mates... and she said the guy in the book is 1000 times worse than me, but "there are some lessons in that book"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eleenia)
    That or she has no taste in books.. Well, i haven't read the book in question but i've read another by the same author and it didn't set me on fire!

ReputationRep:
    No dont think its a dig... we're still best mates... and she said the guy in the book is 1000 times worse than me, but "there are some lessons in that book"
    Olivia Goldsmith, I believe, died on the surgeon's table fairly recently. There's a lesson in that too: Don't change unless you have to!

ReputationRep:
    That or she has no taste in books.. Well, i haven't read the book in question but i've read another by the same author and it didn't set me on fire!
    Lol well I've ordered it now, just outta curiousity... (was only like 25p on amazon!) I'll lend it to you afterwards FPoste

ReputationRep:
    mochachino
    This is spelt wrong (should be "mochaccino"). Surely anyone who writes a book would invest in a spell check.

MB

(Original post by musicboy)
    This is spelt wrong (should be "mochaccino"). Surely anyone who writes a book would invest in a spell check.
    A little pedantic of you, but a valid point.

ReputationRep:
    Lol well I've ordered it now, just outta curiousity... (was only like 25p on amazon!) I'll lend it to you afterwards FPoste
    I live in Aylesbury so you haven't far to come And don't let it depress you, you're probably lovely as you are!

ReputationRep:
    Well, i think you should read it, because it sounds like the lessons are to be learn from this twist at the end that the blurb talks about, so we can't really know what she means until we know what happens.
    i reckon, the girl who makes over her mate realises she loves him but he realises he's gay and falls in love with one of his geeky mates. She wishes she'd never changed him as he's too cool for school, gets invited to loads of great parties and doesn't want to sip moccachino's with the likes of her anymore. Then, when crossing the road to get to his tailor on Saville Row, he gets hit by a robin reliant and dies. Girl subsequently, hocks all his clothes on e-bay, goes to Vegas, blows all the cash and rents a giggalo who steals her passport. She's made to roam the streets for food and shelter but can only get a gig as someone who wears one of those sandwhich board things advertising a new starbucks. The fact that she has to walk around with a starbucks sign everyday takes her back to the time they would 'do lunch' (he'd have the ceasar salad she'd be on a liquid diet of skinny lates) and she dies of a broken heart, pining for those byegone days. The end.

ReputationRep:
    I live in Aylesbury so you haven't far to come And don't let it depress you, you're probably lovely as you are!
    Do you live near the narbs? Have you met them?

MB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musicboy)
    Do you live near the narbs? Have you met them?

MB
    No and no.. Aylesbury's a bigger place than it looks, obviously

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.