Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi

So i studied medicine at the university of leicester but had to drop out because i had anorexia. I have only just recovered from anorexia 3 years later. I also have other health problems and for this reason want to stay at home when i study so i have my family around me.

I am thinking about doing a law degree at the OU. But am wondering whether it is worth it. I am very apprehensive about studying long distance and am worried the teaching wont be good.

Can anyone offer any advice on this?
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by AmIafailure?)
    Hi

So i studied medicine at the university of leicester but had to drop out because i had anorexia. I have only just recovered from anorexia 3 years later. I also have other health problems and for this reason want to stay at home when i study so i have my family around me.

I am thinking about doing a law degree at the OU. But am wondering whether it is worth it. I am very apprehensive about studying long distance and am worried the teaching wont be good.

Can anyone offer any advice on this?
    I have no direct experience... but unistats looks encouraging:
    https://unistats.direct.gov.uk/subje...eturnTo/Search

ReputationRep:
    i don't know about OU law but in my experience (mainly maths) there is not a lot of 'teaching' in the OU - you learn/study by working through the materials provided. these materials are, in my experience, pretty good.

you also have access to a tutor by email/phone. I've never had a problem with any of mine but you do occasionally hear of people who have had issues. it is important to realise that the tutors are not at your beck and call just because there is online contact (for most of them OU tutoring is a second job) - but this is no different from a brick uni really. there are also tutorials (which may not be in your home town) which are useful but not compulsory.

there is much less structure in terms of scheduled activity in OU study than in a brick uni so you need to be happy that you have the motivation and discipline to work when you are not surrounded by other students. it is easy to get behind, especially if you are doing 60+ credits

tl:dr - whether the OU works for you really depends on you...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.