Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've been thinking about building my medical personal statement soon and I've been wondering what kind of medical/care related work experience people have? I've applied to be a volunteer in a mental health institution and have been offered the opportunity to shadow a local GP. What else could I be doing??
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by aoifea100)
    I've been thinking about building my medical personal statement soon and I've been wondering what kind of medical/care related work experience people have? I've applied to be a volunteer in a mental health institution and have been offered the opportunity to shadow a local GP. What else could I be doing??
    Hi there,

It's great that you want to start planning your personal statement. Definitely take up that offer you've got to shadow a local GP - how long have you managed to get this for?

Also, well done for applying to volunteer at the mental health institution. Have you thought about applying for more volunteer work as well? What about working in a a charity shop, doing tutoring/being a study-buddy, or working in a care home? The last in this list is a very popular form of work experience amongst Medicine applicants. Working in a care home enables you to care for elderly patients, help serve food, organise games, etc.

To give you an example of what others do, a student we work with spent time working for Glasgow Children's Hospital Charity in the Royal Hospital for Children. She got 4 offers!

A junior doctor we work with did two weeks at Great Ormond Street (he was lucky because his aunt worked there!), volunteered at a care home for 2 hours a week and was a care worker at children's club for children with physical & learning disabilities.

Another student we know spent time shadowing a physiotherapist in a hospital before she applied to Medical School (and she was successful!).

In general, doing any kind of work experience in a hospital environment would look amazing on your personal statement, and would be great to talk about in interview - see if you can secure any, but don't worry if not. It's not a be-all-and-end-all.

The work experience you've got lined up will definitely look good on your personal statement. Make sure you keep a diary of all your experiences so you can look back at them when it comes to writing your PS. We've got some webpages of advice you can read here on Medicine Personal Statement writing.

As an extra, if you want some stuff to read for your personal statement, check out Richard Lehman's weekly review. It's funny & medical!

We hope the above helps,

The Medic Portal

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.