Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Repaying student loans if moving to another country and in UK Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm looking into what the threshold is for earnings and repayment for student loans if you move from the UK to the USA. I am little confused looking at this because each of these websites gives a different income threshold for the UK and the USA:
    http://www.studentloanrepayment.co.u..._schema=PORTAL

http://www.studentloanrepayment.co.u..._schema=PORTAL

Why does it give different amounts comparing those two pages for the two countries?

Just to clarify, if the UK earnings threshold to start repaying students loans is £21000, how much do you repay a month at those earnings for £27000 student loan? And if you were to move to the USA, what is the earnings threshold to start repaying student loans and what is the per monthly amount that has to be repaid for earnings? Thanks
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Plan 1 is for people who started before September 2012.

If your salary is £27000, it's 9% of £27000 - £21000.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    Plan 1 is for people who started before September 2012.

If your salary is £27000, it's 9% of £27000 - £21000.
    Sorry I'm confused by that calculation....

So the income threshold for repaying back the student loan if you move to the USA or there for more than 3 months I believe, is £16800. So can it just be clarified what the repayment is?

Also, on that website, what does the "upper income threshold" mean?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.