Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    It was the most surreal thing that has ever happened to me, I was just sitting in cathedral gardens reading, and suddenly, this *wall* of screaming, flailing people went stampeding past. I am not exaggerating it was literally this big swarm of thousands of people. Was anybody else in the city? They've cordoned it all off from my end, there's a big cordon going from the triangle to the printworks, and the entire city is a ghosttown as far as I can. Absolutely brilliant. They even evacuated the 'walk with god meeting" in the arena, 20 000 oddball christians came flooding out. Just the most awesome site.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)
    It was the most surreal thing that has ever happened to me, I was just sitting in cathedral gardens reading, and suddenly, this *wall* of screaming, flailing people went stampeding past. I am not exaggerating it was literally this big swarm of thousands of people. Was anybody else in the city? They've cordoned it all off from my end, there's a big cordon going from the triangle to the printworks, and the entire city is a ghosttown as far as I can. Absolutely brilliant. They even evacuated the 'walk with god meeting" in the arena, 20 000 oddball christians came flooding out. Just the most awesome site.
    lol, were you at the gay parade by any chance? lol

ReputationRep:
    Didn't you once say that there was a bombscare when you were on a train as well?

ReputationRep:
    I heared rumours of this, I was in the arndale this morning but I was in Stockport this morning.

It is just a scare though and not a real bomb I hope? We have had enough bombs to last us a life time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    Bloody hell really?
    No, he was making a joke out of the fact that thousands have died before from bombs. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by John Paul Jones)
    Har-har.

ReputationRep:
    Oh dear, scary biscuits :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Before anybody makes a joke of this, this is serious, lets not forget the damage the 1996 IRA bomb did.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Invisible)
    Didn't you once say that there was a bombscare when you were on a train as well?
    Well I thought there might have been, they shut the metrolink down in the city, but it turns out the Debenhams sign just fell on the tracks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by John Paul Jones)
    Why, were you hoping to meet him there?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    I heared rumours of this, I was in the arndale this morning but I was in Stockport this morning.

It is just a scare though and not a real bomb I hope? We have had enough bombs to last us a life time.
    Well I haven't heard anything blow up. And to be honest I wasn't too worried I just sat there and continued to read until the police evaucated us into Victoria.

ReputationRep:
    where was the warning from then??

did they say the bomb was IRA or bin laden?

ReputationRep:
    Well I thought there might have been, they shut the metrolink down in the city, but it turns out the Debenhams sign just fell on the tracks
    LOL! And they announced there ws a bomb scare? i.e.) How did you come to the conclsuion that it was a bomb scare when you were on the train>?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fly By)

The 1996 bomb was the IRA, the largest bomb ever to explode in mainland Britian.

ReputationRep:
    They even evacuated the 'walk with god meeting" in the arena, 20 000 oddball christians came flooding out. Just the most awesome site.
    I would have loved to have seen that

ReputationRep:
    Why, were you hoping to meet him there?

hahahah - no, not today, the frolicking men in fairy dresses doesn't much appeal to me,

and well - a bomb in the Arndale may be a blessing in disguise to be frank, but perhaps when it's shut

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fly By)

I dunno, I'm sure there'll be lots of details in the MEN tomorrow.

ReputationRep:
    LOL! And they announced there ws a bomb scare? i.e.) How did you come to the conclsuion that it was a bomb scare when you were on the train>?
    No they just said that "Due to a major incident in the city centre the police are not allowing any vehicles to pass through, this service will now terminate at Victoria." So I went to see what was happening on foot, and everything was cordoned off, so I just came to the conclusion that either somebody was shot, or there was a bomb or something similar.

ReputationRep:

Hmm this takes me back - Year 7 at my secondary school, October sometime.

Fire alarm goes off at lunchtime, I'm in the library browsing the web - make my way towards the front door of the library to go down the stairs, and out the usual exit door, to go round to the drill assembly point. Police Officer at the top of the stairs "No exit here through here mate".

Had to use the upstairs exit, off the top of the roof, and down the escape ladder.

Turned out they'd been a bomb scare centred around a BT Phone Box, yards from the main entrance to the school.

So we were stood out on the back fields of the school, being registered (though little point given it was lunchtime). Chief Officer of bomb squad out back gets a megaphone and tells us; and needless to say that amongst some calm people, there was a fair bit of hysteria.

They'd shut off all exits to the main road that leads out front, so we had to use an exit along a dirt trail (all 1075) of us, that we use as a cross country route, that as a Year 7, I'd only been introduced to, just earlier that day in PE !

Took me 1 1/2 hours to get home, (walking), for what is normally a 15 minute stroll, as where this dirt track led out, meant I had to double back on myself, and try and fine roads that the police had left open.

The next day in the paper it was reported that it was a hoax (Lunchbox, left where the phonebook normally is, with some wires attached and a timing device), and that a controlled explosion had took place.

Afternoon off school though; but the word "bomb" puts a fair bit of fear in most people, when you hear that its anywhere around you.

ReputationRep:
    There's noting on BBC/Manchester Online so it must have been nothing.

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.